Pizza

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#61 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 02:01 PM

I'm sure they were aware but they're downplaying it through their new publicity campaign.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#62 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 02:17 PM

Pizza Zone is opening on Quadra at Kings. They claim to be "Home of the 420", whatever that means...!

#63 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 03:22 PM

Pizza Zone is opening on Quadra at Kings. They claim to be "Home of the 420", whatever that means...!

420 is a pot smoking thing.

#64 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 03:35 PM

Does Quadra Village really need MORE pizza?

There is already:

Pizza Allnite
Piazetti's Pizza
San Remo's
Fifth Street Bar and Grill

Just a bit further:
La Piola

Now Pizza Zone? WTF?

#65 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 January 2010 - 05:35 PM

420 is a pot smoking thing.

I thought it was "pan pizza", not "pot pizza" :confused:

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#66 glenalan54

glenalan54
  • 97 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 12:03 AM

I worked at Pizza Pieman for awhile and well all i can say is you are better off.

I managed the Oak Bay Pizza Pieman in the mid 1970's. I remember their being five Pizza Piemans when that empire was strong: Oak Bay, Town & Country, Esquimalt, Colwood and James Bay. Darnorth Enterprises owned by Bob Darnell. Those were the days.

#67 glenalan54

glenalan54
  • 97 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 10:12 AM

Bob's Office for his pizza empire was located beside the Halfway House in Esquimalt:
http://www.flickr.co...ory/4462246103/

I have some pictures of the Oak Bay Pizza Pieman from old slides I took in the 1970's when I was a hippy.

#68 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 10:33 AM

In 1995, the TC did a brief profile of Bob Darnell noting he was going back to business school.

A native Winnipegger who came here at age three with his family, Bob Darnell is known in Victoria for opening some of the city's first pizza joints, with backers Fred Manning and Nick North. Darnell built his original 1966 Pizza Pieman restaurant into 11 outlets and later bought out his partners. He sold the last one in 1989. "I I started it and I did all right. Perhaps I might have done better knowing what I know now. Despite the fact I was in business, you never know enough."

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#69 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 12:14 PM

We need Cambodia-style "Happy Pizza" garnished with fresh herbs. Munchie-killer and attitude adjuster all-in-one.

#70 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 25 March 2010 - 12:26 PM

I had a surprisingly good pizza on Monday night from Oregano's, in Fairfield Plaza. The pie itself was thick crust, but had this distinctly crunchy/cheesy crust on top. They were also quite liberal with the toppings. Real nice. They also have a very reasonable Sunday-Wednesday pickup special (I'm sure for the price of two large Romeo's Specials, you could get 4 Oregano's larges and some wings) - and also do some other, non-pizza takeout.

For price, convenience and taste, this may become a new takeout staple for us.

#71 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 02:20 PM

I managed the Oak Bay Pizza Pieman in the mid 1970's. I remember their being five Pizza Piemans when that empire was strong: Oak Bay, Town & Country, Esquimalt, Colwood and James Bay. Darnorth Enterprises owned by Bob Darnell. Those were the days.

I loved Pizza Pieman when they first opened. (mid to late 60s)
And Gondola's on Fort.

They both went downhill quickly.

#72 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 04:01 PM

I had a surprisingly good pizza on Monday night from Oregano's, in Fairfield Plaza. The pie itself was thick crust, but had this distinctly crunchy/cheesy crust on top. They were also quite liberal with the toppings. Real nice. They also have a very reasonable Sunday-Wednesday pickup special (I'm sure for the price of two large Romeo's Specials, you could get 4 Oregano's larges and some wings) - and also do some other, non-pizza takeout.

For price, convenience and taste, this may become a new takeout staple for us.

Yes they do a good NA style there. I have never eaten a pizza there that didn't put a smile on my face.

#73 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 10:01 PM

NYT article on making restaurant-style pizza at home. Hint: let the dough rise for a long time, don't use a rolling pin. I don't know if I'm fussy enough to track down high-protein 00 flour but some of the tips make sense.

While a three-hour rise yields a crust that has the pasty pallor of raw flour, the caramelized sugars from an overnight rise give the cornicione, or edge, a color that goes from golden brown to the deep bronze of a ’70s tan.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#74 kungfucious

kungfucious
  • 27 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 10:21 PM

I loved Pizza Pieman when they first opened. (mid to late 60s)
And Gondola's on Fort.

[strikethrough]They both went downhill quickly.[/strikethrough]

ill just ignore that downhill bit....
but more love for the pieman! jeth! take that G-man. you suck. long live the pieman. 11 outlets!! wow. i only knew 3!

#75 Szeven

Szeven
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 08:00 AM

glenalan54, I really enjoyed your flickr stream.

How different would victoria have been if this was approved!!!

http://www.flickr.co...ory/4319839180/

#76 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 09:33 AM

Mrs Yodsaker makes one of the best thin-crust pizzas I've ever eaten, good enough that we haven't had a store-bought in maybe 9-10 years.
She has the dough and crust down so its perfect every time, a little al dente/crusty and never the same toppings twice in a row. Hot peppers, ham, spicy chorizo, black olives, 'shrooms, pesto, feta, and on and on. NO hamburger and NO pineapple!

#77 mathewaugustus

mathewaugustus

Mathew Augustus

• 6 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 04:25 PM

The Joint - Overrated/expensive. Seem to have pineapple on everything... Only recommended for drunken club hoppers or celiacs.
Pizzeria Prima Strada - Amazing. My personal favorite. Not what most people expect but their loss if they can't appreciate. I find the pies to be decent value but the drinks are extremely expensive.
The Mad Greeks - Best traditional/american/loaded style pizza I've had here. Too bad it's in Langford :(
Pizza Zone - Adequate for a quick bite, while drinking.
Ali Babas - Not big on the sauce but decent quality and consistency and great value and convenience for slices.
5th Street Bar and Grill - Similar but not as good as PPS but good value and the rest of the restaurant is great.
Oreganos - Best fast-food/slice style I've had so far. Not as good a value as Ali Babas and only in Fairfield but yeah, good stuff. Good other entrees too for take-away.
Athenas - Best option for late night delivery. Pretty good value with loaded toppings but I found the pizza to be too sloppy/lazily put together. Very greasy.
My Chosen Cafe - In Metchosin. Very solid pizza all around. Great balance of flavours and texture and everything. Obviously made with some care.

#78 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 04:27 PM

I could go along with that.

#79 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 04 February 2011 - 07:55 AM

The Joint - Overrated/expensive. Seem to have pineapple on everything... Only recommended for drunken club hoppers or celiacs.
Pizzeria Prima Strada - Amazing. My personal favorite. Not what most people expect but their loss if they can't appreciate. I find the pies to be decent value but the drinks are extremely expensive.

Ali Babas - Not big on the sauce but decent quality and consistency and great value and convenience for slices.

Oreganos - Best fast-food/slice style I've had so far. Not as good a value as Ali Babas and only in Fairfield but yeah, good stuff. Good other entrees too for take-away.

Great summary - although imho, i'd take Oregano's over Ali Baba any day of the week and I think that you're a bit harsh on The Joint - maybe was just a bad day? As for Ali Baba, I remember when they had their little shop on Blanshard and the quality went a bit downhill when they began expanding (as is usually inevitable) Couldn't disagree more re: Prima Strada.

#80 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,041 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 09:01 AM

Il Greco (ex Lantern House) still serves up amazing pizza.

in fact, the restaurant as a whole has great food in my opinion.

Matt.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users