Craigflower Bridge | Built - completed in 2014

• Please log in to reply
356 replies to this topic

#41 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 08:56 PM

But usually it is. Unless there is a market for 10 bridges a year there is no added benefit to having people trained in building bridges locally. It is highly unlikely that outside demand for Vancouver Island bridges is going to occur no matter how many millions we pour into a local company and spending 20 % more to keep the money on the island? How about spending less on the project and focusing the savings on another project.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#42 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 10:42 PM

But usually it is. Unless there is a market for 10 bridges a year there is no added benefit to having people trained in building bridges locally. It is highly unlikely that outside demand for Vancouver Island bridges is going to occur no matter how many millions we pour into a local company and spending 20 % more to keep the money on the island? How about spending less on the project and focusing the savings on another project.

Training is only a tiny portion of the spinoff. I was more thinking of the direct wages and the material bought here.

#43 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 10:50 PM

Unless there is a market for 10 bridges a year there is no added benefit to having people trained in building bridges locally. It is highly unlikely that outside demand for Vancouver Island bridges is going to occur no matter how many millions we pour into a local company

We already have "local" people trained in bridge construction. Ramsay Machine Works provided some of the steelwork for restoring the historic Kinsol Trestle, and maintenace work on other bridges.

Read about it. http://www.ramsaygro...ay-bridges.html

Lions Gate Bridge Project - Jacking Traveller & Deck Panels

Kinsol Trestle Bridge

#44 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 10:59 PM

I hope that they go with the arched version. It is certainly the most pleasing to me.

I agree. By far (to me) the most visually attractive of the options.
Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#45 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 23 January 2012 - 05:02 PM

View Royal has opted for the six month total closure.

I remain concerned about what all the kids K-grade 8 at Craigflower Elementary and Shoreline Middle School will be able to get across without the bridge. There is nothing I see any of the plans that explain what will be done for them.

You can see the catchment areas for both schools cross the bridge. Shoreline also is the only French Immersion School on the west side of SD 61

#46 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 06:52 PM

A full closure for that length of time seems insane. :confused:

#47 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 08:00 AM

View Royal has opted for the six month total closure.

I remain concerned about what all the kids K-grade 8 at Craigflower Elementary and Shoreline Middle School will be able to get across without the bridge. There is nothing I see any of the plans that explain what will be done for them.

I'm sure a couple of zip-lines across would keep the kids coming to school.

#48 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 08:04 AM

The district will likely run buses in one direction in the morning and the other in the afternoon.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#49 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 12:16 PM

no temporary pedestrian bridge like this? maybe the current would mess with it. I wonder if they could have hijacked the parking lot for the craigflower farm on that south side also to use as a park & walk sort of thing.

http://www.flickr.co...s21/2316656161/

#50 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 24 January 2012 - 01:43 PM

The district will likely run buses in one direction in the morning and the other in the afternoon.

Because there are two schools on opposite sides of the bridge, there needs to be service both ways

#51 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 06:26 PM

Gotcha, so then I suppose it would be feasible to run buses heading in both directions.

I imagine that a 1/3rd of that closure will be during the summer break?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#52 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 25 January 2012 - 09:34 AM

Gotcha, so then I suppose it would be feasible to run buses heading in both directions.

I imagine that a 1/3rd of that closure will be during the summer break?

The summer break comes at a good time for the school kids.

The problem with adding buses is that the bridge is right at the end of the route the kids use to get to school. Do you have them walk 90% of the way to the school and then get on a bus for 4.5km trip?

I suspect there will have to be a ferry service across the Gorge at that point, it is the only way I can see it working.

#53 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 02:10 PM

The problem with adding buses is that the bridge is right at the end of the route the kids use to get to school. Do you have them walk 90% of the way to the school and then get on a bus for 4.5km trip?

Taking a bus for 6 months should be acceptable. Many of the schools in the region that were being seismically upgraded bussed their students to Richmond School for the year their school was closed. Pick the kids up at the old Craigflower School on the north side of the bridge and bus them around Portage Inlet. How long would that take, maybe 15 minutes?

The only difference is that the bridge is being upgraded, not the school.

#54 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,780 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 25 January 2012 - 02:24 PM

The summer break comes at a good time for the school kids.

I suspect there will have to be a ferry service across the Gorge at that point, it is the only way I can see it working.

A ferry service would be pretty cool.

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#55 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 25 January 2012 - 05:51 PM

Taking a bus for 6 months should be acceptable. Many of the schools in the region that were being seismically upgraded bussed their students to Richmond School for the year their school was closed. Pick the kids up at the old Craigflower School on the north side of the bridge and bus them around Portage Inlet. How long would that take, maybe 15 minutes?

The only difference is that the bridge is being upgraded, not the school.

My point is that there is no natural spot for the kids to gather to catch the bus other than walk almost all the way to the school and then have a chartered bus take them to the school.

There are no public buses that would work for the kids. There would have to several buses in use to get kids to both schools. I suspect the cost to charter 3-4 buses for a couple of hours of use per day could become rather expensive.

#56 phx

phx
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 07:48 PM

Swimming lessons will do the kids good!

#57 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 25 January 2012 - 09:36 PM

I swim in the Gorge, but after the September is underway, it is a bit too cold for that. Though it is flat enough there that a tall person could almost walk over

#58 cakeman

cakeman
  • 216 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 09:38 PM

It likely would.. but the salt water would wreak havoc on their iPhones.

cakes..

#59 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 10:35 PM

How about a pedestrian only 100m long temporary floating bridge, similar to what is at Swan Lake.

#60 kenjh

kenjh
  • 310 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 11:26 PM

it amuses me that work has to stop for a few fish ,at the untold cost of disruptions and wasted time when the fish really have better things to worry about .. like fishermen ..seals ..eagles ..oh and don't forget 2000 liters of oil flowing by ..why are all the projects screwed up and slowed down in the interest of saving something we really don't care about at the end of the day..and just a thought ..are they putting roundabouts at each end to replace the traffic light s..and perhaps a few trees and flowers in the middle of the deck to blend in with craigflower road ..and looking at the kids .. the run down to tillicum and back would do them some good ..buses ...what a waste

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users