Go Canucks Go

• Please log in to reply
981 replies to this topic

#141 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 01:44 PM

Punishment must exhibit proportional restraint. Raging vigilanteism and brutal punishments on otherwise decent teens could backfire long term.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#142 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,810 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 06:37 PM

I have no faith in the justice system to deal with these offenders properly.

It's hard to have faith in something that doesn't exist. We have a LEGAL system in Canada, but more times than not, justice is not served.

#143 LJ

LJ
  • 12,753 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 07:00 PM

Where does everyone stand on the fate of the Water Polo arsonist who "turned himself in", no doubt at the insistence of his father? Do you think he would have done the "right thing" had he not saw his image on Youtube?

The family petitioned to have his name and apology made public because they were getting death threats and threats to their property.

The father, a surgeon, has suspended his practice and moved the family in an effort to protect them.

I want to see justice but burning someone's home down is not justice!!:mad:
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#144 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 20 June 2011 - 07:52 PM

If I were to wander downtown this afternoon, stuff a rag into a parked police car, and set that rag on fire, I would be arrested and probably imprisoned. I am hard-pressed to think of any reason that I should not be arrested and imprisoned if instead I blow up a parked car during a riot.

I think psychologists would agree that people in a riot may perceive that the "normal rules of behaviour and social interaction do not apply," but that isn't a mitigating factor, if anything, it's an aggravating factor. Normally our behavior is constrained by those normal rules; we need the criminal justice system more, not less, when those rules don't apply.

If we slap the violent rioters on the wrist instead of punishing these crimes as we would in any other context, we encourage more violent rioting in the future.

Yes you would be arrested, but then released. If you are underage, you would get a relatively light sentence that no one would be allowed to know about. As an adult, you would not get any sort of harsh sentence. Much depends on the circumstances and how sober you were.

First time offenders do not tend to get any significant sentences, especially if they plead guilty.

The system really does try to avoid making career criminals out of people and goes out of its way to try and set a person back on the right track in their life. The one problem is that many people lose respect for the system because the punishments are actually very light.

If you remember the drunk driver Carol Berner that killed that little girl in Ladner. She was guilty of four offences, including impaired driving causing death, she got 2.5 years in jail, which means she could be out on parole after as little as five months. What she did was certainly several orders of magnitude worse than what anyone did at the riot and she still refuses to acknowledge her guilt.

As is coming out, the vast majority of those 120+ arrested have been young Canucks fans that did stupid **** in a riot. The VPD Chief is back pedaling and saying it was not anarchists etc....

#145 ChrisA

ChrisA
  • 108 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 08:36 PM

I seriously doubt, Bernard, that deliberately destroying $50,000 or more worth of public property through arson---particularly arson committed in a crowd, which could have easily hurt or killed people---would not yield prison time.

Of course it was not "anarchists," police and others describing this sort of behavior use that word incorrectly. It wasn't merely "stupid ****." They didn't hang a Volkwagen from a bridge or throw toilet paper at a teacher's house. Theft, arson, and assault and battery are some of the serious crimes which were committed. Again, the fact that these serious crimes were committed during a riot ought not be considered an extenuating circumstance.

#146 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 08:50 PM

I seriously doubt, Bernard, that deliberately destroying $50,000 or more worth of public property through arson---particularly arson committed in a crowd, which could have easily hurt or killed people---would not yield prison time.

I don't think it would for a 17-year-old with no priors and what appears to be a relatively bright future ahead of him.

How about destroying a $13.8M ferry, leaving it at the bottom of the ocean, and drowning two people, and luckily none of the other 99?

What are those people facing for a penalty?
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#147 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 09:14 PM

^Too bad for him water polo isn't unionized. :P
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#148 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 09:19 PM

There is no chance he'll go to jail. That's not how the system is set up to work. Unless there's a history of juvenile deviance we haven't been told about.

#149 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,511 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 June 2011 - 09:22 PM

There is no chance he'll go to jail. That's not how the system is set up to work. Unless there's a history of juvenile deviance we haven't been told about.

He's an arsonist. If he set someone's home on fire should he go to jail?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#150 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,152 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 09:32 PM

He's an arsonist. If he set someone's home on fire should he go to jail?

In Canada, if you are convicted of manslaughter, you could end up with a suspended or a conditional sentence, depending on the circumstances.

#151 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 07:47 PM

Oh, my....

L08ZZgy_R98

Now, only Sparky and I listen to youth radio, so you might not get the parodied song.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#152 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,152 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 08:22 PM

^ Awesome...I love your bit on the sax......how did you get up there? :)

#153 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,152 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 11:05 PM

Try this one

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=Vq_DharSehw

#154 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,511 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 June 2011 - 07:53 PM

In case you missed it...

http://www.ctvbc.ctv...ishColumbiaHome

:(

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#155 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,152 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 03:20 PM

Here is a wild piece of photography. Would you like to know who was in the fan zone before the riot broke out?

After clicking on the link and opening the photo, zoom in using the tool on the left. You can see every face in the crowd.

http://www.gigapixel...canucks-g7.html

#156 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,592 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 08:42 AM

That's incredible.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#157 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,152 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 08:53 AM

Mike try the giga tag feature. People are getting their names posted.

#158 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 12:16 PM

Moscow (CNN) -- A plane carrying a hockey team with international players, including some NHL veterans, crashed as it took off Wednesday afternoon from Russia's Yaroslavl airport, killing at least 43 people, Russian emergency officials said.

The Lokomotiv team, which was scheduled to play a match Thursday in the new Kontinental Hockey League, had a number of players with ties to the National Hockey League.

The team's head coach, Brad McCrimmon, 52, who was born in Canada, previously played in the NHL and was an assistant coach with the Detroit Red Wings, NHL.com said.
Others who played in the NHL included Karel Rachunek, 32, a Czech native; Ruslan Salei, 36, from Belarus; Karlis Skrastins, 37, from Latvia; Pavol Demitra, 36, from Slovakia; and Josef Vasicek, 30, from the Czech Republic.

Demitra was a former Minnesota Wild and Vancouver Canucks center, RIA Novosti reported, while fellow center Vasicek was formerly with the New York Islanders and Carolina Hurricanes. Salei previously played for the Anaheim Mighty Ducks, Colorado Avalanche and the Red Wings.

http://edition.cnn.c....html?hpt=hp_t1

#159 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 30 December 2011 - 09:52 AM

As of last night's game, Vancouver is tied for first overall in the NHL, though Chicago has a game in hand and Boston is one point behind but has four games in hand.

The Art Ross may have a Sedin on it again this year - Henrik is 2nd overall in scoring and Daniel is 3rd.

Finally, now that he has played 537 consecutive games, Henrik Sedin in the all time Canuck Ironman, he passed Brendan Morrison's 534 just after Xmas. Henrik is still only number 2 for current Ironman streaks in the league. Calgary defenseman Jay Bouwmeester who is 8 games ahead of him.

The Canucks are the team to beat for the Stanley Cup this year. They are like the Penguins in 07/08 and 08/09, two final appearances in a row. The Canucks are still a young team and are still finding their groove - playoff dominance is the next step.

Given the age of the Canuck players and the depth of the roster, we have at least three or four more years of the team being on the top of the league. The team is much more than the Sedins. Ryan Kesler is one of the top players in the league. Cory Hodgson, Cory Schneider, Alex Edler, and Jannik Hansen are all under age 25. The Canucks have the potential to be a dynasty.

Yes, I am fully on the band wagon, the boys can do no wrong!

#160 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,781 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 30 December 2011 - 09:56 AM

they always choke in the playoffs thought (last year they were lucky to get out of the first round)....I won't get too excited yet.

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users