Photo

[Downtown Victoria] The Falls condo | 54m | 18- & 13-storeys | Built - completed in Aug 2009

Condo Commercial

• Please log in to reply
1066 replies to this topic

#21 Jarrod

Jarrod
  • 125 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 09:24 PM

Does anyone know when they're going to break ground?

#22 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 08:55 AM

The ad in today's TC for The Falls claims 50% of units were sold opening weekend. That's amazing.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#23 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 09:25 AM

Albertans love a bargain.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#24 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 10:29 AM

Any guesses who we'll be stereotyping as the proverbial rich outsiders when the next boom comes around?

British Columbians must be so poor. They always depend on outsiders to fuel their development booms. Meanwhile, folks in Ontario and Alberta (and Taiwan) are so wealthy they can fuel huge development booms at home AND in BC.

Just amazing how that works.

#25 Jarrod

Jarrod
  • 125 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 12:48 PM

It's because BC is backwards. I mean, we have all this resource but we focus on housing, tourism and old people. These things are sustainable. We have oil and gas and stuff like that but we're not allowed to get it. We have a lot of stuff but we're not allowed.

Anyway, I'm waiting for the ground breaking. I'm excited to see it materialize.

#26 jaylow

jaylow
  • 188 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 12:56 PM

yes , i am for one glad that we cant get at our oil to be honest.
i'm sure you, jarrod, being from prince rupert(because thats where it is a good location for offshore drilling), are glad that there is a moratorium on offshore drilling.
Sure it would give people jobs, but the damage it could(and eventually would) do to the environment would be irreversible.

#27 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 01:38 PM

Albertans love a bargain.

10% of buyers in Westbank's previous properties in Victoria were to Albertan clients and apparently that's holding true for the Falls, too. 10% of sales went to international and American buyers.

What's funny is condo sales to out of towners are plastered across local rags as though its a bad thing. But hardly anyone talks about out of towners buying up the most expensive single family dwellings in the region.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#28 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 05:02 PM

And it's such an awful thing that these out of towners, when they come here buy cars, eat in local food establishments, shop, pay taxes, etc. I mean local shops have enough business why should these people shop here! How dare they contribute to our local economy. How dare they!!!

#29 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 06:30 PM

I think that this strange fear we have of outsiders buing our condos is just another piece of the "pull up the bridge" syndrome. If Albertans buy a vacation home here than there is a chance that they may end up moving here permanently. MY GOD THE HUMANITY!

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#30 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 06:57 PM

And if they don't, we get a free ride with the taxes they pay to maintain their units. Heaving forbid they might also rent out their unit while they live elsewhere (that's quite common, too).

Know it all.

#31 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 08:29 PM

Yep, it's funny. People get upset when they hear about Albertans coming to Victoria but get even more upset when they hear they won't be staying full-time.

:-/
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#32 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 08:51 PM

and they get upset that there aren't enough rental units too.

It goes full circle.

#33 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 04:45 PM

Excavation has begun, btw.

Know it all.

#34 Jarrod

Jarrod
  • 125 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 05:35 PM

Hmmm...perhaps when I take a break from writing an english essay I'll go and take a look at it.

#35 Galvanized

Galvanized
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 08:54 AM

^^Ya, they broke up a bunch of concrete and dug a large sized hole and then filled most of it in, it was like they were looking for something.
Past President of Victoria's Flâneur Union Local 1862

#36 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 05:56 PM

And they were back at it today, chipping away at the concrete walls where the 13-storey tower will sit.

The sign atop the huge banner now boasts 90 units sold in two weeks. That's just shy of 60%. Good grief, and here we were wondering if people still wanted to live downtown. By the looks of it, they can't get enough of downtown but its our councillors and NIMBY groups who are keeping buyers from the product they want to buy, and not buyers disinterested in downtown product.

Know it all.

#37 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 06:19 PM

The more condos you build downtown, the more condos you'll be able to build downtown. It's not a question of how many units the market can absorb, it's about developing the market and creating the demand for more units.

Assuming the Falls and Aria turn out well, people will be chomping at the bit to get at the Bay towers or the next Westbank project.

Then again (for the purposes of counterpoint), why is nothing happening with the Bambu site or the Mozart site?

#38 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 09:32 PM

Anybody seen the mailer for the Falls? It's funny because they've included two pics of the building model...the "before" and the "after". I have to say I think the first version is the better one. The version with the taller main tower has shorter "lanterns" on the rooftops, less rooftop foliage, and (in my opinion) less interesting treatments on the various faces.

For some reason the shorter tower seems to be more glassy in the before version. I can't put my finger on it.

I didn't realize there was going to be a sidewalk level water & rocks thing on the Humboldt Street side.

#39 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 08:29 AM

^ All at the request of the Chateau Victoria. I agree the building is not as good in some ways as originally proposed however in some ways it is better with improved storefronts and the better treatment of Courtney Street.

Overall this is going to be an impressive building even with the modifications and I think it is going to drastically change the feel of downtown.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#40 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 08:42 PM

I Googled "The Falls" and a Google Ad for The Juliet came up.

Burn!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users