Photo

[Downtown Victoria] The Falls condo | 54m | 18- & 13-storeys | Built - completed in Aug 2009

Condo Commercial

• Please log in to reply
1066 replies to this topic

#61 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 10:26 AM

Taken today:

[url=http://imageshack.us:45459][/url:45459]

#62 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 10:32 AM

[url=http://imageshack.us:2bae1][/url:2bae1]

[url=http://imageshack.us:2bae1][/url:2bae1]

#63 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 11:11 AM

All four neighboring property owners were fiercely against it.

Of course they were. More residents in the area means more business, which means more revenue, which means more tax to pay. Nobody likes paying tax.

And a spiffy new building will oblige them to spruce up their own properties, which also costs money. That's one of the nice things about having a bomb crater of a parking lot next door. You always look good by comparison.

#64 Lover Fighter

Lover Fighter
  • 653 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 06:13 PM

That's so good to see that much action going down at the Falls lot. I've waited a long time to see that.

#65 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 07:08 PM

Anybody think the Falls might be a bit too white and colourless for its own good, like Astoria?

#66 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 07:08 PM

But it may make it up with its glass.

#67 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 07:17 PM

This is what I've been hoping, but with every adjustment to the design it seemed to become less glassy. Will the glass be clear or bluish or greenish? Anybody know?

I'm not keen on that pinkish tone and that small face just north of/above the swimming pool seems quite ordinary. Should have been a curve or something there.

The main face along Douglas Street needed more variation. Maybe each vertical section should have been stepped back slightly from the one north of it.

#68 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 07:50 PM

Too blue?

#69 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 08:00 PM

Looks good to me!

#70 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 08:49 PM

Assuming the finished product ends up looking something like the plans, it will be a massive improvement over a vacant lot in one of the core's most prominent locations. I personally hope they maintain the volume of glass as currently designed. It should be beautiful.

Hard to believe the transformation in a 2 block area beginning with The Falls, moving along Humboldt past the Marriott, Astoria (with future bolder paint scheme), Belvedere, and terminating with Parkside. And of course Aria, phases I and II acros the street. If this level of rejuvenation could be maintained throughout the City, Victoria might once and for all shake-off its faux-English facade and actually move into the 21st century. Here's hoping... :>)

#71 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 08:51 PM

...and to add to that, the lawn bowling field may be redeveloped and of course the Crystal Courts development proposal announcement is imminent.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#72 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 08:54 PM

Derf: Please say the lawn bowling green is staying...it is rather a quaint oasis in this ever-developing region of glass and concrete. Not that I object to either of those materials!

Any dates for the great reveal for the Crystal Court property?

#73 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 08:59 PM

Well, no official proposals have surfaced as of yet but it's definitely on the radar screen. There is that park just east of the field and St Anne's is across the street so there's plenty of green space. Although I can see what you're gettin at with respect to the green field between the developments...

No dates for Crystal Court just yet, but expect good things.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#74 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 09:01 PM

Call me sentimental but I actually like to see those crisp white lawn bowlers, and would miss them if they were gone.

#75 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 09:12 PM

You mean you've actually "seen" them?

They actually exist!? ;)

We need Oxford to camp out and snap some shots for us.

Know it all.

#76 Oxford Sutherland

Oxford Sutherland
  • 522 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 09:18 PM

We need Oxford to camp out and snap some shots for us.

I tried, but failed to capture the elusive lawn bowler in its natural habitat. :(

#77 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 09:21 PM

It's a little known fact, but when not actually playing a game, they dress entirely in green and blend in with the terrain. There are actually a couple dozen of them in your pic Oxford

#78 Doc Sage

Doc Sage
  • 46 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 09:22 PM

I, for one, have witness them and, yes, they do dress in white. Somehow I also would like to see the bowling lawn preserve. The tension from all these new buildings and this green lawn does something to me.

Doc Sage

#79 Oxford Sutherland

Oxford Sutherland
  • 522 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 09:39 PM

or they could just put a lawn bowling green on the roof of a new 15 floor building?

#80 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 09:44 PM

I say keep the lawn bowling green. I have seen it used numerous times. Also I would not want one of those balls coming over the edge of a building and hitting me in the head.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users