Photo

[Downtown Victoria] The Falls condo | 54m | 18- & 13-storeys | Built - completed in Aug 2009

Condo Commercial

• Please log in to reply
1066 replies to this topic

#41 Ben Smith

Ben Smith
  • 127 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 09:43 PM

Just by reading that first article, I got several impressions (two, in fact!)

First, The building is of decent height and definatly looks nice, for replacing a parking lot!

and Second, Mayor Alan Lowe was optimistic about higher-density areas, which birth skyscrapers!

Ben

#42 Oxford Sutherland

Oxford Sutherland
  • 522 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 12:39 AM

The Falls should fill in some of this view

#43 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 08:37 AM

Clever Westbank omitted the above view when they presented renderings showing how the building would look from various vantage points around the city. I don't know if in other cities developers claim their building's chief attribute is how you shouldn't be able to see it. When did we become ashamed of our architectural achievements? What would Victoria look like if Rattenbury or PL James or MacLure tried to make their work invisible?
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#44 Lover Fighter

Lover Fighter
  • 653 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 11:31 AM

Yeah, that is always my least favourite part of developer's presentations at City Hall; when they show different pictures from around the city and how you will see absolutely nothing from all vantage points of the proposal. Kind of sad.

#45 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 11:39 AM

Striving for anonymity. Why else would Victorians have destroyed so many great buildings outright and chopped the heads off of the few great buildings they left in place?

#46 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 11:40 AM

By the way, what are those antennae things standing up there?

#47 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,512 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 11:44 AM

And that's the argument I used at a land use committee meeting a while back.

Basically I chastised the powers that be for being bent on reducing the creativeness of architects and planners in order to appease arbitrary sight lines and extend homage to buildings many Victoria's consider less than desireable architectural focal points (Chateau Vic or the Davis buildings, for example).

I think this is one of the only cities in North America that has architects standing on the podium defending themselves for creating a (get this) project that is "too" good and "too" creative. "It's not right for Victoria," the peanut gallery quibbles. Or my favourite, "This design belongs in Vancouver!"

The response from architects? "I'm sorry, I'll get right on it and design a non-descript box that can stand beside other non-descript boxes. Oh, and I promise to make it shorter then existing non-descript boxes so Victoria can maintain a non-descript architectural presence (aside from the Legislature and Empress, of course) from non-descript vantange points around the harbour."

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#48 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 07:48 PM

Did anyone catch the haiku poem being used to market the Falls?

Pure flow beautiful
A study of glass and sky
Listen (waterfalls)

#49 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 07:55 PM

trouble at council
olson brothers are angry
lawyers are busy
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#50 victriviaqueen

victriviaqueen
  • 48 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 08:30 PM

I wonder if all the activity in the area might prompt the Millos owners to replace their beat-up windmill?
http://frugalvictoria.com "Living for less in the City of Gardens"

#51 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 23 October 2006 - 08:37 PM

I think they're planning a 24 storey one in order to attract a bit of attention after they are hemmed in!! ;) Actually all the people and activity living in the area can only be a good thing for the restaurant.

#52 m0nkyman

m0nkyman
  • 729 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 08:40 PM

I wonder if all the activity in the area might prompt the Millos owners to replace their beat-up windmill?

Council would refuse to give them a permit to change their sign. That'a a heritage beat up windmill. ;)

#53 victriviaqueen

victriviaqueen
  • 48 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 09:15 PM

Council would refuse to give them a permit to change their sign. That'a a heritage beat up windmill. ;)

Ah, but if it's heritage, then council should be bending over backward to save it. I can hear Pam now.....

#54 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,512 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 09:21 PM

Maybe they should add some lighting effects to the bedsheets? ;)

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#55 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 09:26 PM

I didn't know the thing actually turned until a a few weeks ago when it was windy one day and I happened to be walking by.

#56 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 09:39 PM

I couldn't believe the lawyer for Milo's resteraunt, when she spoke at the second Fall's public hearing.....

She basically said, this is the first time My clients have seen this proposal and they are outraged....yada yada yada yada......

You know what.....Where were you at the first public hearing.....Where were you at the open house at the bottom of the Emperess.....Where were you when the first public hearing was cancelled due to lawyer B.S. and it was written in the paper......

Just udder B.S. ....unreal. :roll:

#57 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 23 October 2006 - 10:05 PM

Just udder B.S. ....unreal. :roll:

you might find this handy in the future Scaper

#58 victriviaqueen

victriviaqueen
  • 48 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 10:11 PM

I find this appropriate too:

I had no idea about the complaint from Millos. One summer I did a stint of janitorial and that restaurant was one of the places I cleaned (also the Maritime Museum -- I got to run the elevator.).

#59 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 10:15 PM

All four neighboring property owners were fiercely against it.

#60 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 10:23 AM

[url=http://imageshack.us:7536d][/url:7536d]

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users