Photo

[Downtown Victoria] The Falls condo | 54m | 18- & 13-storeys | Built - completed in Aug 2009

Condo Commercial

• Please log in to reply
1066 replies to this topic

#81 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 10:05 PM

Yeah. It shouild stay.

#82 m0nkyman

m0nkyman
  • 729 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 10:12 PM

Another vote to keep 'em.

They're part of what makes Victoria Victoria. And I too have seen the (wo)Men In White.

#83 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 11:33 PM

I say keep it for now. Who knows, demographics may take care of it in the future and lawn bowling may one day become obsolete like once-popular Victoria events like horse racing and indoor bicycle racing.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#84 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 11:35 PM

Isn't this the last form of any kind of Bowling in Victoria??? :(

I believe it is zoned for residential....I maybe wrong mind you!!

#85 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 03:05 PM

The Globe's weekly real-estate spotlight. I haven't seen the print version but I assume it had some good photos:

------

ON SITE: VICTORIA: CONDOMINIUMS
High tea by The Falls

THOMASINA GORDON

This project is reshaping the social environment of a small city while conserving the larger natural environment.

Victoria, long known as a retirement community, is busting out and welcoming a younger demographic. The Falls will consist of 155 units designed for a contemporary lifestyle within a sustainable building that features a cascading 30-metre waterfall.

The Falls' location could not offer more of a contrast, sited next to the dowager Empress Hotel. New owners will be able to work in their ultra-modern Schiffini kitchen while overlooking the greened cooper roof of the turn-of-the-century landmark or, move from a palm- shaded poolside to attend high tea.

The Empress adds elegance to the already beautiful views that residents of the Falls will have from their terraced suites. Overlooking Victoria's Inner Harbour, the one-, two- and three-bedroom units will be surrounded with lush landscaped gardens and trees.

Designed by Canadian architect James KM Cheng with luxurious touches, like the aforementioned kitchens by Italian designer Vico Magisterri, (which include pinewood cabinets, granite countertops, AEG, Bosch and Liebherr appliances as well as walnut flooring), the Falls wil also be built to LEED specifications for sustainable dwellings. It will also offer such amenities as a fitness centre, pools and the convenience of street level shops.

There are four two-storey penthouse suites which range from 1,099 sq. ft. to 2,466 sq. ft. Each has a rooftop patio and private garden with panoramic views.

Mr. Cheng has designed The Falls with over-height ceilings and floor-to-ceiling glazing in order to maximize natural light within each unit. To create an even warmer atmosphere, each suite has an electric fireplace and select units even include one on the terrace. The units will contain Schiffini bathrooms with walnut cabinets, marble or limestone floors, frameless glass showers and dual flush toilets.

THE FALLS

Developer: Westbank Projects Corp.

Price: $389,000 to $1, 649,000

Square footage: 673 to 1,696, with larger penthouse suites

Sales centre: 645 Tyee Rd., suite 101, Victoria

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#86 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 04:05 PM

...busting out and welcoming a younger demographic...

Is the Falls really doing that? I'd think the Wave or Corazon or 860 View might be doing it, but the Falls doesn't seem to me like a standout in this regard.

#87 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 04:07 PM

...while conserving the larger natural environment...

SHUT UP!

THE SITE WAS A PARKING LOT ON DOWNTOWN VICTORIA'S MAIN STREET.

#88 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 04:08 PM

The Falls' location could not offer more of a contrast, sited next to the dowager Empress Hotel.

Are the Executive House, the Chateau Victoria, Astoria, the Marriott and the Belvedere invisible now or something?

#89 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 04:13 PM

I realize this is a fluffy promotional piece but I still find it very discouraging that commentators on all sides are so unwilling to confront the real Victoria.

#90 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 04:17 PM

Does anybody have any images of what the north or east sides of the Falls might look like? Didn't somebody have pics of the first model from way back? Was that Lover Fighter?

#91 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 04:47 PM

Too bad a big chunk of the Falls is being sold to an investment pool. A load of them will not be lived in. At least for a while anyway.

#92 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 02:31 PM

here's the backside

#93 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 02:49 PM

What a great looking building. Most of the drawings try to make it look soft and small. But I love the angles that show how BIG it is.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#94 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 03:14 PM

I went to the ground breaking ceremony today...It was really nice...I also got some nice photos I will share with you guys later too!!! :)

#95 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 12:55 AM

Here are some of my photos from the Ground Breaking Ceremony today for the Fall's project. Some of West Bank's Team were turned back from their Harbour to Harbour flight due to Weather. Bob Pierce took over the Ceremony as Dave and Ian couldn't make it.

Here is Mayor Lowe with Bob Pierce giving his speech where he commended West Bank for continuely bringing Victoria the highest quality developments. I was very amazed by his speech.

Then the official ground breaking....Finally...!!! Let construction begin!!!

And the Team Photo...

And the model...:)

Great Job, West Bank!!! It was an honor to be there. :)

#96 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 01:41 AM

Nice photo's! I know the site has been active for a while now, but it finally feels like all the hard work we put into getting this through have finally paid off. I hope they'll let us take some construction pics, inside and out, as it goes up!
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#97 Amanday

Amanday
  • 52 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 09:50 AM

...busting out and welcoming a younger demographic...

Is the Falls really doing that? I'd think the Wave or Corazon or 860 View might be doing it, but the Falls doesn't seem to me like a standout in this regard.

I would tend to agree. As a young downtown dweller, the last place I want to live is in that area...and there's no way I could afford it even if I wanted to, anyway.

#98 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 10:08 AM

The Falls creates triple crown
Prolific Vancouver development firm says there are more unique projects to come

Andrew A. Duffy
Times Colonist

Tuesday, November 07, 2006

CREDIT: Darren Stone, Times Colonist
Westbank Projects executive Angela Wakefield, Peter Gaby of DFH Real Estate,
Westbank Projects manager Bob Pearce and Victoria Mayor Alan Lowe turn -- and toss --
the ceremonial sod at The Falls condominium project along Douglas Street between Courtney Street and Burdett Avenue.

Bob Pearce flicked a shovel of sodden dirt into the rain yesterday afternoon as the development manager for Westbank Projects turned the soil on The Falls, the Vancouver company's latest and most expensive Victoria development.

[...]

#99 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 11:08 AM

Two years ago the TC would have never printed an article with a positive spin about a larger development. Heck, Malcolm Curtis would lambast this particular project at every opportunity he'd get, and now look at what we're seeing this morning!

I think the TC is finally waking up to the fact that their readers aren't interested in the fear-mongering and anti-development rhetoric that preached to the vocal anti-change minority.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#100 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 11:11 AM

The fact that it appeared as a "Business" article and not a "Politics" article put a different spin on it.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users