Photo

West Coast Contemporary Architecture

• Please log in to reply
122 replies to this topic

#41 Oxford Sutherland

Oxford Sutherland
  • 522 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 06:38 PM

Propose some modern architecture in Victoria, and people are probably going to be against it.
I think the reason why is because they get visions like this in their head....

and I don't really blame them, because I'd be against stuff like that too. A lot of modern architecture
is dull and unfriendly, no charm, no soul, just a grey box of concrete that probably won a bunch of
architecture awards from a bunch of pretentious architecture snobs. As a result, people in Victoria
run screaming from this stuff, and revert to wrapping themselves in the warm comfort of the heritage
styles they know and love no matter how faux or poorly done they may be. They completely write off
all modern architecture because it brings visions of soulless concrete boxes to their heads.

But I think the West Coast Contemporary style is different, it's modern, but it's warm, friendly, inviting,
and optimistic. I think a lot of people would really enjoy it if only they knew about it.

#42 Oxford Sutherland

Oxford Sutherland
  • 522 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 07:23 PM

This is a house near Blaine, Washington

#43 Oxford Sutherland

Oxford Sutherland
  • 522 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 07:38 PM

#44 FunkyMunky

FunkyMunky
  • 416 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 01:56 AM

This type of [url=http://www.residentialarchitect.com/industry-news.asp?sectionID=282&articleID=319429:66c75]regional modernism[/url:66c75] is not inexpensive. Most of the pictures you've posted (context, names, locations, architect information, please) are for either high-end custom homes or iconic publicly financed building (airports, recreation centres, etc.). Post and beam construction with engineered timbers spanning long distances is expensive and that's why you're not likely to see much of this in average buildings.

Yes, I agree the Oak Bay Beach Hotel and Windsor Park Pavilion should have been built in a west coast modernism style (but perhaps not exactly this interpretation). However, in the case of the Windsor Park Pavilion, cost was a prime concern and I think we got the best building Moore Paterson could produce at the price the various governments were willing to pay. In fact, they're still fund raising in order to buy furniture (James Bond night at the Penny Farthing next week).

This wood-only version of west coast regional modernism is great but a rather narrow interpretation. [url=http://www.millerhull.com/html/index.htm?http%3A//www.millerhull.com/html/projects_all.htm:66c75]Miller/Hull[/url:66c75] in Seattle, for example, design modern buildings that use industrial materials like steel in addition to wood and wood laminated beams. [url=http://www.johnstonarchitects.com/buildings.php?type=2:66c75]Johnston Architects[/url:66c75] (Seattle), [url=http://www.wenzlauarchitects.com/pages/projects/mix_05villagesq/1.shtml:66c75]Wenzlau Architects[/url:66c75] (Bainbridge Island) and [url=http://www.holstarc.com/:66c75]Holst Architecture[/url:66c75] (Portland) are also producing a wide range of west coast modernism buildings that would be great additions to Victoria.

Johnston Architects: Capitol Hill Library

Johnston Architects: South Park Library

Wenzlau Architects: The Winslow

Wenzlau Architects: Wood Avenue Townhouses

#45 Oxford Sutherland

Oxford Sutherland
  • 522 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 03:25 AM

Those architects all have some nice stuff, but I don't care much for the buildings in the pictures you posted, especially the last two buildings. Did you post those because you thought they represent some of their better work?

#46 Oxford Sutherland

Oxford Sutherland
  • 522 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 04:59 AM

I like these :tup: :tup:

#47 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 08:35 AM

I went to Bamfield a few weeks back and came across this interesing building at the marine station.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#48 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 11:15 AM

I think a lot of people would really enjoy it if only they knew about it.

Any Victorian who's visited just about any other city or town in BC has surely seen good examples of it.

Methinks it can't be an accident that there are so few examples of this style in Victoria. It looks modern. Hence it's bad.

#49 Oxford Sutherland

Oxford Sutherland
  • 522 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 12:28 PM

I went to Bamfield a few weeks back and came across this interesing building at the marine station.

I was wondering where that building was, this is a picture of it under construction

#50 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 12:34 PM

A giant reinterpretation of that one would make a good main library.

#51 Oxford Sutherland

Oxford Sutherland
  • 522 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 12:38 PM

I think a lot of people would really enjoy it if only they knew about it.

Any Victorian who's visited just about any other city or town in BC has surely seen good examples of it.

Methinks it can't be an accident that there are so few examples of this style in Victoria. It looks modern. Hence it's bad.

Maybe, but considering there are even people on this forum who have probably never even seen the Brentwood Bay Lodge or Matticks Farm, you might be overestimating how much people actually travel around and pay attention to buildings. :smt102

#52 Oxford Sutherland

Oxford Sutherland
  • 522 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 01:00 PM

#53 Oxford Sutherland

Oxford Sutherland
  • 522 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 02:00 PM

#54 Oxford Sutherland

Oxford Sutherland
  • 522 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 02:09 PM

#55 Oxford Sutherland

Oxford Sutherland
  • 522 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 11:35 PM

This is the Gulf Island National Park Reserve Operations Centre in Sidney

I think it would have looked better if the windows facing the water were much bigger, and the cinder blocks on the ground floor are a bit dull, but other than that it looks interesting. It's also one of the only LEED Platinum buildings in Canada.

#56 Oxford Sutherland

Oxford Sutherland
  • 522 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 12:47 AM

This is the Squamish Adventure Centre :tup: :tup:

#57 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 12:54 AM

Very nice.:)

#58 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 01:02 AM

I asked a local architectural historian after pointing him to this thread. His response:

...this seems to be the updated version of "West Coast Modern". The sources for this lie in modern and contemporary Scandinavian architecture although instead of Glulam you see a lot more expressionist use of structural steel and aluminum. In the UK, and as an example of this in mega international architectural firms, ... [url=http://www.fosterandpartners.com:a3d8d]Norman Foster architects inc[/url:a3d8d] and scroll thru their website (i.e. Standstead Airport, Hong Kong Airport and the new Bejing Airport etc.) The West Coast variant was pioneered by Arthur Erickson (particularly his early houses), Barry Downs and here in Victoria, John DiCastri .... all of which blended European rationalism with the west-coast arts-and-crafts tradition, (i.e. Maclure) which celebrates materials for their intrinsic aesthetic and craft (i.e. expressionist) qualities.

I looked at the Norman Foster site. Some truly amazing work. You can see the echo of what we do here in wood, but on a massive and metalic scale. Maybe the skyscraper varient could return to those steel and aluminum roots with Glulam interior touches.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#59 Oxford Sutherland

Oxford Sutherland
  • 522 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 02:24 PM

Good info Caramia :tup:

#60 Oxford Sutherland

Oxford Sutherland
  • 522 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 06:20 PM

This is the Gleneagles Public Safety building in West Vancouver.

I think it's basically a combined fire/police station

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users