Photo

The ICBC thread

• Please log in to reply
832 replies to this topic

#821 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 15 November 2022 - 07:55 PM

The only thing with my scenario is the damage was caused by a passager getting out of the car not the driver so not sure how that works.

That was the case in my instance too, driver is responsible.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#822 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,039 posts

Posted 06 February 2023 - 04:47 AM

screenshot-twitter.com-2023.02.06-07_46_38.png

#823 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,557 posts

Posted 09 August 2023 - 01:39 PM

Chalk this up to yet another ‘obviously.’

West Shore RCMP:

The West Shore RCMP has experienced a dramatic rise in uninsured vehicles on the roadway.

In July 2023, the West Shore RCMP Traffic Unit issued 65 tickets for driving without vehicle insurance as compared to 21 tickets for driving without vehicle insurance in July 2022.

Throughout the past year we have seen a steady increase in the number of vehicles on the roadway that do not have vehicle insurance. Police believe this is partly due to licence plate validation decals no longer being required as of May 2022.

“Our police vehicles are equipped with Automated Licence Plate Recognition technology. ALPR has the ability to scan licence plates while officers are patrolling and it alerts them to a vehicle that is violating driving laws within its vicinity, no insurance is among these alerts said Cpl. Mike Jacobson, West Shore RCMP Traffic Enforcement unit.

If you are caught with no vehicle insurance, you can be fined $598 and your vehicle may be towed. Even worse than receiving a ticket for no insurance, is being involved in a collision when you do not have insurance. This could result in you being sued and held liable for damages.

We strongly encourage motorists to ensure they have the proper insurance on their vehicles. You can further protect yourself by making sure you have uninsured motorist coverage.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#824 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 09 August 2023 - 02:20 PM

Chalk this up to yet another ‘obviously.’

West Shore RCMP:

The West Shore RCMP has experienced a dramatic rise in uninsured vehicles on the roadway.

In July 2023, the West Shore RCMP Traffic Unit issued 65 tickets for driving without vehicle insurance as compared to 21 tickets for driving without vehicle insurance in July 2022.

Throughout the past year we have seen a steady increase in the number of vehicles on the roadway that do not have vehicle insurance. Police believe this is partly due to licence plate validation decals no longer being required as of May 2022.

“Our police vehicles are equipped with Automated Licence Plate Recognition technology. ALPR has the ability to scan licence plates while officers are patrolling and it alerts them to a vehicle that is violating driving laws within its vicinity, no insurance is among these alerts said Cpl. Mike Jacobson, West Shore RCMP Traffic Enforcement unit.

If you are caught with no vehicle insurance, you can be fined $598 and your vehicle may be towed. Even worse than receiving a ticket for no insurance, is being involved in a collision when you do not have insurance. This could result in you being sued and held liable for damages.

We strongly encourage motorists to ensure they have the proper insurance on their vehicles. You can further protect yourself by making sure you have uninsured motorist coverage.

The biggest problem here was, the cameras to check plates as they drove around were not ready.  I'm actually surprised they have them now.  I'm not sure all detachments do at this time.  I also love how people who haven't gotten their insurance will think they are the victims.  I'm shocked the fine is so low to be honest.

• lanforod and Daveyboy like this

#825 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,557 posts

Posted 09 August 2023 - 02:45 PM

Me too. It should be punitive to such a degree that you wouldn’t dare do it.
  • Daveyboy likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#826 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 09 August 2023 - 04:55 PM

ICBC should make online renewals a little less tedious. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#827 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 09 August 2023 - 04:57 PM

The biggest problem here was, the cameras to check plates as they drove around were not ready.  

Speaking of cameras, did the CoV get permission from the OSMV to install blinky red lights for the cameras on the automated parking enforcement vehicles?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#828 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 09 August 2023 - 05:20 PM

ICBC should make online renewals a little less tedious.

Wish I could renew my trailer. Silly that I can’t.
  • sebberry likes this

#829 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 09 August 2023 - 07:11 PM

I moved my rear plate, with expired decals on it, to the front of the vehicle so overzealous US police don't keep pulling me over.

• Daveyboy likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#830 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 August 2023 - 07:15 AM

Wish I could renew my trailer. Silly that I can’t.

You can't make any policy changes online either, or even buy a temporary operating permit.  It's silly.  

#831 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,557 posts

Posted 10 August 2023 - 07:17 AM

Yes, it absolutely is.

Know it all.

#832 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,041 posts

Posted 10 August 2023 - 12:29 PM

Can’t renew a jointly owned vehicle either. Weird.

#833 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 10 August 2023 - 09:48 PM

Yes, it absolutely is.

I'm pretty sure when they first launched online renewals, you could. But I did notice that I could not make changes last time around.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users