The ICBC thread

• Please log in to reply
832 replies to this topic

#801 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,035 posts

Posted 28 April 2022 - 07:42 PM

Those decals suck anyways. Last time I went through the car wash, the ink disappeared. Sticker is still there, just blank.

#802 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 28 April 2022 - 08:03 PM

Those decals suck anyways. Last time I went through the car wash, the ink disappeared. Sticker is still there, just blank.

When you print fake ones, that's what happens ;)

• Mike K. and Matt R. like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#803 LJ

LJ
  • 12,741 posts

Posted 29 April 2022 - 07:50 PM

If you can't get the old decals off it is going to cause you problems in other jurisdictions when police think your tags have expired.

• phx likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#804 Fox

Fox
  • 115 posts

Posted 30 April 2022 - 09:52 AM

WD-40 softens the glue on the back of the decals nicely.

• Mike K. and LJ like this

#805 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,997 posts

Posted 21 July 2022 - 05:28 AM

The B.C. government says it intends to appeal a court decision striking down a recently enacted regulation that limits how much a plaintiff can be reimbursed for expert testimony and other expenditures arising from motor vehicle accident claims.

The regulation caps reimbursement of fees, such as those charged by experts, at 6% of either the total damages awarded by the court or of the amount agreed to in a settlement.

So, were someone to receive $10,000 for a personal injury claim, ICBC — the government-run insurance monopoly — would only have to reimburse up to $600 in such fees (for things such as medical opinions or crash reconstruction reports). Any costs over this amount will be borne by the plaintiff, essentially eating away at the award for damages they received.

https://www.timescol...c-costs-5601128

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 21 July 2022 - 05:28 AM.

#806 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 24 July 2022 - 11:56 AM

Kate Harris, owner of Drivewise in Victoria, said they have tripled their business over the last two years and now have 31 cars on the road. “It’s definitely busy for sure,” she said.

Harris said she’s not sure why there’s been a jump in demand, but believes it could just be demographics, as she said most of the COVID-related demand has been dealt with.

https://www.timescol...d-soars-5616147

But not all schools have had the same experience.

Andre Moazami, owner and operator of My Chosen Driving School, said things are slow right now for his operation and others in the region, which he suspects is because people are using the summer to visit family and travel rather than stay home and take courses “that they can do anytime.”

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 24 July 2022 - 11:57 AM.

#807 LJ

LJ
  • 12,741 posts

Posted 24 July 2022 - 07:51 PM

Probably Drivewise is experiencing a big increase at the expense of Wallace suffering a decrease.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#808 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,780 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 November 2022 - 10:11 AM

In a parking lot parked. Passager gets out of another car and dings my car with a cart type thing, doesn't say sorry and takes off. The car they got out off takes off as well. I got their licence plate. Any avenue going after the car via ICBC or just waste of time?

Screenshot_20221114-190802_Messages.jpg

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#809 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 November 2022 - 11:18 AM

Probably a waste of time but I'd still pursue it on principle.  

car.JPG

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#810 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 14 November 2022 - 11:20 AM

My experience says ICBC will send them a letter. If they admit guilt, you’ll be OK. If not might be more difficult.

#811 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 14 November 2022 - 12:13 PM

Almost guarantee with the new system, you're out of luck.

#812 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 14 November 2022 - 12:15 PM

Depends on how much it costs to fix. Can't tell if it is dented or just scraped. If dented you may be looking at over $1,000 to fix it in which case ICBC will call it a hit and run and charge you a $500 deductible. 

#813 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 14 November 2022 - 12:17 PM

Even if just scratched its a hit and run...

#814 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 14 November 2022 - 12:40 PM

Even if just scratched its a hit and run...

Agreed although you could touch up the paint for less than the deductible. 

#815 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 November 2022 - 01:12 PM

Agreed although you could touch up the paint for less than the deductible. 

And live without the satisfaction of knowing the perp was caught for their actions?

#816 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 747 posts

Posted 14 November 2022 - 04:01 PM

In a parking lot parked. Passager gets out of another car and dings my car with a cart type thing, doesn't say sorry and takes off. The car they got out off takes off as well. I got their licence plate. Any avenue going after the car via ICBC or just waste of time?

attachicon.gif Screenshot_20221114-190802_Messages.jpg

Does your Tesla have camera footage of the hit?  Not sure if your model has the camer's all around.

#817 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 14 November 2022 - 05:16 PM

I’d do it, for sure. You have nothing to lose.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#818 LJ

LJ
  • 12,741 posts

Posted 14 November 2022 - 07:47 PM

I did it when a lady swung open her car door into me while parked at a bank. I got out and copied down her license number, she asked me what I was doing. When I told her she had hit my car and dented it, she wasn't at all sorry, and she said she will write down my license number.

I called ICBC and told them the story, and they said the other person had called and taken responsibility, then she tried to talk me out of claiming. Sorry, not going to happen.

Not as bad as the time I was at a laundromat in Prince Rupert and I see a car trying to park between my car and another. I'm watching as she backs into the space and hits the car behind me, then pulls forward and hits my car, then backs up a bit and gets out. As she comes into the laundromat, I approach her and tell her she hit two vehicles while parking hers. She looks at me like I'm a dummy and states "that's what bumpers are for."

#819 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,780 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 November 2022 - 05:02 AM

Old Tesla, I don't have that feature.

Does your Tesla have camera footage of the hit? Not sure if your model has the camer's all around.

#820 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,780 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 November 2022 - 05:04 AM

Car has a lot of km on it. I don't plan on fixing it but would like to be compensated for the damage thought.

I'll probably just buy a blue pen and do a crappy touchup.

The only thing with my scenario is the damage was caused by a passager getting out of the car not the driver so not sure how that works.

Depends on how much it costs to fix. Can't tell if it is dented or just scraped. If dented you may be looking at over $1,000 to fix it in which case ICBC will call it a hit and run and charge you a $500 deductible.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users