Victoria Royals | WHL hockey team

• Please log in to reply
581 replies to this topic

#61 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 09:24 AM

Just another example of the stupidy of the LCB. Why are they punishing the patrons by denying them service? Just fine the company involved a substantial amount so it will act as a future deterrant and move on.

The LCB has been one of the most backward thinking and out of date government bodies for years and years and denying the public (who they are mandated to serve) as a form of punishment to the vendor is ridiculous.

Well said.

The bar I work with has spent $8k in legal fees fighting off a suspension from a September 2010 allegation. No verdict yet. But even if they win, they have no opportunity to get that money back.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#62 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 10:16 AM

I wonder if this ongoing saga is one of the reasons behind the "attitude" of many of the security staff inside the arena - that alienates quite a few folk.

#63 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 11:47 AM

http://www.timescolo...9596/story.html

"The order almost certainly won't take effect as it will either be stayed by consent or, failing that, by the Court of Appeal," he said.

The arena is also going to court to argue what constitutes a business day.

The liquor branch's regulations defined business day as "a day on which the establishment is normally [open] for business" and under that definition the arena has already served the 10-day suspension, Mulligan said.

However, Owsianski ruled six of those days, when arena's concession was open from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., were "ancillary" to the "business."

The liquor branch amended its regulations pertaining to the definition of "business day" in February 2011.

The battle that originated with a 17-year-old drinking in the arena could carry on for months if not years, (lawyer Michael) Mulligan said.

Of course, Mulligan is working on trade/contra with the arena, as he has a crap-load of advertising there.

This just shows you how stupid all of this is, over three or four kids having some beer.

Meanwhile, a friend of mine was killed by a drunk driver in Esquimalt, I guy I had denied entry to my bar due to his drunk state, but who then drank at an Esquimalt bar before he ran over my friend. That Esquimalt bar was not disciplined.

http://www.canada.co...df0338c3&k=6947
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#64 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 12:15 PM

^ That is a tragic story VHF, what sort of punishment did the driver receive?

#65 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 12:16 PM

I think another issue here though is how RG is handling the affair. Right or wrong they broke the rules and get a suspension. Instead of admitting responsibility, fixing the problem and moving on, they are instead trying to wiggle their way out of the punishment.

What message are we sending the kids and families that use the facility? I am sure that people will still attend the concerts and hockey games during those 6 days beer or not.

#66 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 12:20 PM

^ That is a tragic story VHF, what sort of punishment did the driver receive?

4 years. Federal time. I testified at the preliminary trial, was set to testify at the main trial, but he plead guilty the day before it was to begin.

Court heard that earlier that evening, Haddock, Redmond, his fiancé Karly Webb and friend Dan Elliott went to a Salmon Kings game, where Redmond consumed a significant amount of alcohol.

Redmond drove his friends to the Sopranos bar, where they were refused entry because of their drinking. Redmond then drove them to the Carlton Club, where more alcohol was consumed.

http://www.viccity.c...ears in prison/

#67 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 02:07 PM

^ Thanks, still sad.....and avoidable. The Carlton Club should have been on their toes like you were.

#68 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 09:41 PM

Interesting...I wonder how many seats will be available at this price and whether the commuters/downtown residents will be queuing up at 0930 most Mondays?

Victoria, BC – The Victoria Royals hockey club knows how to deal with a case of the Mondays, and that’s by giving them a name and a Monday blues-blasting offer!

The 2011-12 WHL regular season will see the introduction of ‘Mad Mondays’, where fans will have the chance to purchase tickets to see the Royals live at the Save-On-Foods Memorial Centre from the upper rows of our end sections for an unbelievable price of $5.00!!

Tickets will be available at the Select Your Tickets box-office every Monday of the regular reason for that week’s games only, starting September 19th in advance of the Royals’ Home Opener against the Vancouver Giants on Saturday, September 24th.

Only a limited number of standard and wheelchair accessible seats will be released for each game, meaning they won’t last long. Purchases are limited to four tickets per person per game.

#69 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 07:39 AM

Upper rows of the end sections? You mean the seats that nobody wants, ever, are going for a steal of a deal of $5?

Considering how many empties there will be I'm sure most people will just make their way down to better seats once the game gets going :)

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#70 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 11:31 AM

Upper rows of the end sections? You mean the seats that nobody wants, ever, are going for a steal of a deal of $5?

Yup, the ones with the same view you get from the expensive seats in the Royals Restaurant (or whatever it's called now).

I'm sure most people will just make their way down to better seats once the game gets going :)

As hockey fans have done for time immemorial!

#71 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 11:49 AM

Here's the link to the WHL live video portal. Royals not listed yet but I imagine will be shortly, $6.95 per game or multiple game deals.

http://whl.neulion.com/whl/

#72 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 12:15 PM

Yup, the ones with the same view you get from the expensive seats in the Royals Restaurant (or whatever it's called now).

Ya, it's a bit comical that the luxury boxes also have the worst seats.

The restaurant is now called "The Lion's Den".

#73 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 11:47 PM

5400 in attendance tonight, great atmosphere though the boys dropped a 3-2 decision to Kelowna. I'd say this league is back. The electricity running through the place during a third period fight was something I haven't felt for a long time.

http://www.timescolo...6725/story.html

#74 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 06:10 AM

Another Cleve report:

http://www.timescolo...6773/story.html

#75 Number Six

Number Six
  • 261 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 08:40 AM

I thought it was a great game and the atmosphere was better than I expected for an exhibition game. The barn should be rocking next Saturday. The tilt in the 3rd period was one of the best I've seen in a while.

#76 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 11:26 AM

It was a fun time, too bad the boyz couldn't hold the lead. None of them are in game shape yet and there are still cuts to be made but there were some good young players out there. Giants-Royals has potential to be a good rivalry.

#77 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 11:32 AM

Garage sale/season ticket pickup seemed to be going well while I was there. Picked up a replica SK jersey for $30, an authentic for $50. Game worns were going for $60 I think. Lots of stuff to look at, quite a bit of actual hockey gear too. Hot dogs were "Western Family" specials, but the price was right (free).

I'm not sure about the team intros and Marty at 1 pm, as by that time the keeners would have done all their shopping, inhaled their hotdogs and likely gone home. But I could be wrong about that :)

#78 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 11:07 AM

I thought it was a great game and the atmosphere was better than I expected for an exhibition game. The barn should be rocking next Saturday. The tilt in the 3rd period was one of the best I've seen in a while.

Indications are that Saturday will be a sell-out, they are only 1000 short right now, and they had over 2000 walk-ups on Friday. I think that it'll be the first hockey sell-out since the Canucks blue-white game a few years ago.

#79 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 06:25 PM

This Saturday's game only has single seats left.

They got a plane painted for them.

http://islandsportsn...nveil-seaplane/

Uh oh, that plane has no other infor on it, Songhees anti-plane residents will think there is yet another airline in the harbour.

#80 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 09:00 PM

I listened to the game on the Zone. It was a hell of a hockey game. 5-3 for the Royals. I wished that I could have caught the game in person. Royals were out shot 51-25. That Keith Hamilton worked hard in goal tonight.

I look forward to seeing some posts from those that were there.

EDIT: Hamilton has been nicknamed the "Blanshard Bandit" by the Times Colonist, probably by Cleve Dheensaw.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users