Residential Parking Only - Argh!

• Please log in to reply
147 replies to this topic

#41 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:19 PM

^Yes but those businesses are one of the reasons for the neighbourhood's rejuvenation. There ought to be concessions.
I find it hugely inconvenient to park there.

There must be parking at Vic High. Can't they ope it up after school hours. Even charge a dollar flat rate.

Vic high does not have that much parking and they do allow it to be used for the Belfry.

To the comment that the businesses should leave if it such a problem for them, that is what businesses have over and over again in the neighbourhood. The Fernwood Inn and the Belfry are the only two that have been there for any length of time. The City recognized 20 years ago that parking was a problem and meant businesses did survive. This has lead to a higher degree of social decay in Fernwood than in almost any other part of the City. It is only in the last few years through the heroic efforts of Fernwood NRG that the neighbourhood has been recovering.

Another interesting quirk of not having many cars park on that part of Gladstone is that it causes people to speed up. The section in front of the multi unit developments is wider than the rest of the street and the only part that does not normally have any cars parked along it. It becomes a decent width empty four lane street for a short section.

#42 weirdie

weirdie
  • 497 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:44 AM

I live withing spitting distance of Fernwood Square. After visiting the shops and restaurants a few times when I first moved to the neighbourhood, I rarely go to them anymore for various reasons (too expensive and poor service being the big two). I appreciate that businesses in the area have had a big hand in cleaning up the neighbourhood, but I personally have little interest in shopping there and it has nothing to do with a lack of street parking.

#43 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:43 AM

All business owners know what they are getting in to when they lease space in and around Fernwood Square.

When is parking a problem? When the Belfry has a show, or when it's busy at the pub, or a combination of both? I've been to several performances at the Belfry and find the Vic High parking lot to have been more than adequate.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#44 kenjh

kenjh
  • 310 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:15 AM

parking is a problem when you find a spot near the restaurant or coffee shop and realize you can't park on an empty block because some twit enforcement bylaw gives NO leeway because of residential or other rule ..so we leave ..I have been tagged too often to bother takeing a chance ..

#45 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,770 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:22 AM

Does the city ticket with frequency after 6 pm in residential only areas?

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#46 kenjh

kenjh
  • 310 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:30 AM

yes they do , we went to the Blue Crab at the Coast Hotel. parked across the street .and got a 40 dollar ticket ..at 8 Pm ..there is no sense to the enforcement ,and for myself I will bend to the desire of the city and go somewhere else for dinner or entertainment ..

#47 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:52 PM

I wonder if this is enforced when someone complains?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#48 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:57 PM

^I got a ticket late at night once for being overtime (like an hour) in a 15 minute general loading zone. I'm certain a building resident complained. And really I have no defense. I was loading a bunch of boxes and suppose I could have just parked across the street all night long.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#49 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:01 PM

I like the neighbourhood pub idea, as they appeal to the neighbours who walk in. For visitors outside the neighbourhood you can often find hasslefree parking a few blocks away, and get some exercise in the process.

#50 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:47 PM

I like the neighbourhood pub idea, as they appeal to the neighbours who walk in.

They do, but anyone in the business will tell you the vast majority of their business lives more than 3km away. It's just the way it is.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#51 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:45 PM

Just as a side note, the Inn isn't a pub.

#52 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 04:49 PM

Oh, I didn't know the inn had accomodations.

#53 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:06 PM

It's food primary. Technically a restaurant.

#54 phx

phx
  • 1,842 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:17 PM

Oh, I didn't know the inn had accomodations.

Aha! So you could qualify for "residential parking" while visiting there!

#55 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:03 PM

Most of these reviews indicate it is a pub.

http://www.yelp.ca/b...od-inn-victoria

#56 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:41 PM

Well, the gold standard of accuracy is the average Yelp reviewer.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#57 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,797 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:32 PM

The Fernwood Inn has accommodation on the upper floors, 3 or 4 suites I think. Really nice units actually.

Matt.

#58 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,786 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:29 AM

But are they not still just apartments? I looked at one many years ago.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#59 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:37 AM

Most of these reviews indicate it is a pub.

http://www.yelp.ca/b...od-inn-victoria

I used to meet up for a couple pints with friends. Then one night they insisted i had to order food. They had apparently gotten a fine or a warning. You can't just drink at a food primary. Before that, I too thought it was liquor primary.

#60 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:34 AM

You can't just drink at a food primary.

That's not quite true. But there are stupid rules, for sure.

Licensed restaurants may serve any kind of liquor. However, a full range of appetizers and main courses must be available and being served, whenever liquor is available. (Restaurants with 50 or more seats only may apply to have a small, separate lounge area where they can serve liquor without food.)

http://www.pssg.gov....imary/index.htm

Anyway, I guess this is a little OT.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users