Residential Parking Only - Argh!

• Please log in to reply
147 replies to this topic

#21 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,088 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 10:27 AM

The Lansdowne Campus? Wouldn't that mean she was in Saanich or Oak Bay?

You are totally correct, it was on Dean Ave, which is in the Saanich panhandle. Different bylaw.

I appear to have posted false information on three threads in the past two days.

I think I better have a little chat with myself. :P

#22 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,502 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 June 2011 - 10:39 AM

It's still permitted:

Residential Parking
7.07 (a) Except as in Clause (b) of this subsection provided herein, no driver of a vehicle shall park or permit the same to remain parked in any zone designated as a Residential Parking Zone during the time of or times when such zone is set apart for residential parking.
(b) Notwithstanding the provisions of Clause (a) of this subsection, it shall be lawful at any time for any person residing in any dwelling situate on any lot or lots abutting on any street or portion of a street designated as a Residential
Streets and Traffic Regulation Bylaw, 2002, No. 8382
Page 14 of 37
Parking Zone or for any person being a guest in a dwelling as aforesaid or engaged in transacting business with or in performing work for or rendering services to any person residing or being a guest as aforesaid to park any vehicle or permit the same to remain parked on such street or portion thereof.

http://www.saanich.c...traffic8382.pdf Page 13/14

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#23 maniac78

maniac78
  • 271 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 12:14 PM

Sometimes I feel bad for Victoria residents and then I read threads like this and think... whatever! Ha ha god I'm glad I decided not to buy in Victoria.

#24 mc9

mc9
  • 155 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 06:53 PM

Sometimes I feel bad for Victoria residents and then I read threads like this and think... whatever! Ha ha god I'm glad I decided not to buy in Victoria.

Who could afford to - I mean really afford to buy here?

Anyway, I wish good riddance to the Residential Parking Only system.

#25 kenjh

kenjh
  • 310 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 11:59 AM

parking war's...thank you for the rule list ..as I work all over town I have had the commissionaires tag me while working to the point I tell customers I have to add 50 dollars to cover time dealing with tickets..very few argue ..on Pine st we had to move a truck into a drive way ,,and 5 service vehicils were tagged. during the shuffle..I can now point out the rules in my favor with out being angry know I am in the right,,,

#26 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 01:56 PM

Ironically many of these restrictions are put into place when individuals from other municipalities drive into the core, park their vehicle and leave them for an entire business day or for extended periods of time, often walking or catching a bus to their final destination. Others are put into place near businesses that attract a large number of vehicles throughout the day. The onus is on these businesses to supply enough parking to keep individuals from having to seek out parking on residential streets.

And Victoria is not the only municipality that has residential parking restrictions. Saanich, Esquimalt, and View Royal, to name just three (there may be others I'm not familiar with) have residential parking restrictions in areas that warrant them.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#27 mc9

mc9
  • 155 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 01:09 PM

Unfortunately, I see those "municipalities" all as part of the same city.

#28 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,502 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 July 2011 - 11:16 AM

What did I say about the PPA earlier in this thread?

Ronnie Polaneczky: Good Samaritan ticketed, dissed by PPA's agents of contempt

http://articles.phil...rking-authority

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#29 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:10 PM

CTV2 did a segment on the Fernwood's parking problem, specifically, the tiny amount of public parking compared to the always empty strip of residential parking on Gladstone. Aubergine Fine Foods posted this photo on Facebook:

News story:

tXEMoEH5imM
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#30 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:16 PM

I've never seen more than a couple cars parked on that stretch and I used to walk it quite a lot. All the houses there have garages, driveways, or are complex's with their own parking lot. There's absolutely no need for the restriction.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#31 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,786 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:29 PM

I will sign the petition. There has to a certain number of Victoria taxpayers that can turnover silly things like that.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#32 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:58 PM

I do the same thing, except for downtown Victoria during lunch. When people ask me where to go for lunch I simply tell people I don't feel like paying $3-4 for parking on top of my meal and convince them have lunch outside the downtown core.

I do the same thing when it comes to shopping. Why pay to park downtown when there is lots of free parking elsewhere in town.

There should be a petition for 2 hour free parking downtown too

#33 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:10 PM

Lunch downtown while working or on days off? If you're already downtown isn't the transport/parking to lunch free?

#34 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:16 PM

Parking is one of the reasons we're moving our office back downtown after spending two years in the parking land that is Saanich. It'll be nice to walk to the office and not have to pay to park while running errands or attending meetings downtown.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#35 kenjh

kenjh
  • 310 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:44 PM

been a problem for-ever..parking spaces too small for a full size car or truck .enforcement out of line with the "offence" I have tried to support downtown , it is just not worth the effort sometimes ..so who set's the rules ? Fortin ?? mayor Peter Pollen ?? as the shop owner pointed out ,no one is without a parking space and his shop is not big enough to be more then a few minutes inside ,,and she was tagged ..no allowance allowed ..by the commissionaires ..so .. if your not happy and can't get any satisfaction you go somewhere else ..I did and won't try very hard to come back when I can't enjoy a coffee or lunch without concern for the parking Nazi's ..

#36 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:30 PM

This problem has been know by the city planners for more than 20 years, the 1990s OCP recognized the city needed to make changes to improve parking in the area to improve the sustainability of the businesses in the village.

The problem is that the City will only make a change, even when it is their mistake that the wrong parking regulation is in place, if 80% of the people with frontage sign a petition in favour. The petition has to reach at least 90% of the residences with frontage. Frontage means any property that borders the location you are seeking to change the parking restrictions on either side of the street.

Fernwood is not helped in this by having two community associations that have never managed to get together. There is the Fernwood Neighbourhood Group that does most of the community association stuff and run the community centre in the the neighbourhood and there is the Fernwood Community Association which has a rent free building on Fernwood Road from the City, which they make money from by renting out.

What it means is that the City always ends up with a good excuse to not more forward because there is not agreement on issues between NRG and the FCA

#37 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,502 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:48 PM

Maybe the businesses who are (rightfully) complaining about this should pack up and move out of the neighbourhood? It's drastic but why keep giving back to a neighbourhood that constantly wants to make it hard for you to do business there?

#38 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:56 PM

Maybe the businesses who are (rightfully) complaining about this should pack up and move out of the neighbourhood? It's drastic but why keep giving back to a neighbourhood that constantly wants to make it hard for you to do business there?

But one thing is...this parking situation was the way it is when both Aubergine and Fernwood owners bought into the neighbourhood. It's not like they didn't know.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#39 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:04 PM

^Yes but those businesses are one of the reasons for the neighbourhood's rejuvenation. There ought to be concessions.
I find it hugely inconvenient to park there.

There must be parking at Vic High. Can't they ope it up after school hours. Even charge a dollar flat rate.

#40 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:07 PM

That's an inefficiency that drives me nuts. Trying to park somewhere and seeing empty lot after empty lot for offices or businesses that close at 5-6. Why not open them up for parking after hours? I guess because they have no reason to, it's just potential problems with no upside for the individual property.

I wish the city had some sort of parking pool where businesses could get a little bit of money or some sort of tax break, some sort of carrot, for allowing people to park on their lots after hours. It's such an insane inefficiency...

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users