Residential Parking Only - Argh!

• Please log in to reply
147 replies to this topic

#61 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:52 PM

So apparently there will be 14 new spots available along Gladstone starting in May. This is good news.

Now to trumpet another great podcast episode

http://www.freakonom...-radio-podcast/

Why is the parking outside of the downtown core free? Seems to me that a lot of issues would be solved (as is discussed in this episode) if parking in Cook Street Village, Quadra Village and Fernwood had meters. It would also mean more money for the city and also more available parking.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#62 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 21 May 2013 - 11:16 AM

I used to meet up for a couple pints with friends. Then one night they insisted i had to order food. They had apparently gotten a fine or a warning. You can't just drink at a food primary. Before that, I too thought it was liquor primary.

It is indeed a pubstyle restaurant with a hybrid food primary and lounge licence. You are certainly welcome to come in and drink without ordering food; however, that activity is restricted to the seats around the bar, only (the de facto lounge area). The rest of the house and patio are food primary, which means that food must be ordered with any alcohol purchase. These are the restrictions of the LDB licence. The upside is that children are allowed on the premises.

#63 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 11:23 AM

So apparently there will be 14 new spots available along Gladstone starting in May. This is good news.

Here is the letter from the Supervisor, Transportation Operations, to Fernwood businesses and residents from approximately one month prior. As you can see, the changes were scheduled to be implemented in "early May." You can imagine how impressed the businesses and our patrons about City Hall dragging their asses. It's always great for business to get bawled out by your customers in front of other customers for parking tickets for which we are at the mercy of the City. This is the privilege of paying 3.5x property taxes, creating employment and fostering neighbourhood vibrancy.

Given the imminence of the changes, certain businesses approached Parking Services to see if an amnesty period could be instated until the signs are change. We understand that the answer to that they are required to enforce whatever signage is in place.

I, for one, am embarrassed for the City. After more than six years of unsuccessful lobbying, they can't even be relied upon to change signs in a timely fashion. I grew up around the City's sign shop. I seem to recall a reserve of parking signs - so I'm not buying the argument that they need to be made up.

#64 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,509 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:22 PM

I called the city a couple of months ago before we power washed our parking garage. We have 2hr timed parking behind the building and we needed a place for the residents to park for the day.

The city had absolutely no problem instructing the commissionaire to ignore the road behind our building for the day so our residents could park there.

I'm amazed that they're not more willing to work closer with the businesses and residents in that area to resolve this.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#65 cakeman

cakeman
  • 216 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:40 PM

The upside is that children are allowed on the premises.

I've read this line forwards and backwards a few times ..

I have to assume its a case of sarcasm not translating well on the internet.. as I just cant take it at face value.

cakes..

#66 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 03:10 PM

Say what? Isn't he saying the disadvantages of a hybrid licence are mitigated somewhat by the fact that children are allowed in? The establishment is losing something by not being 100% liquor primary but it's not all bad news because families with children are eating there?

#67 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:09 PM

^ I will never figure out why my tax dollars have to subsidize parking for residents only. Especially when they have driveways. I was invited to a wedding shower in Fernwood... resident parking made it impossible.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#68 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,509 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:28 PM

You can park in residential parking spots if you're visiting residents of that block. You don't have to be a resident.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#69 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:47 PM

You can park in residential parking spots if you're visiting residents of that block. You don't have to be a resident.

Except then you go on a reverse onus system, you get a ticket then have to dispute it and prove your innocence.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#70 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 05:57 PM

A couple of years ago someone placed a note under my wiper instructing me to never park in front of their house ever again. I was visiting a friend and just occupied the first empty space I came upon.

I guess some people think the spot in front of their house is reserved for their use and their use only.

Parking is a very sensitive issue particularly in neighbourhoods that are within walking distance of downtown or larger commercial buildings. In recent years the residential streets around my place have started to attract people working at Upper Harbour Place in Vic West who are too cheap to purchase monthly parking within the underground parkade but who obviously have no desire to take transit. Sooner or later residential parking only signs will go up, I'm sure of it.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#71 lumix

lumix
  • 26 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:39 PM

A couple of years ago someone placed a note under my wiper instructing me to never park in front of their house ever again. I was visiting a friend and just occupied the first empty space I came upon.

I guess some people think the spot in front of their house is reserved for their use and their use only.

This is one of my big pet peeves. People do not own spots for on-street parking. I have had those notes before too. It puts me in a sour mood and it becomes such a temptation to write a wonderful cheeky note back. If I had a beater of a car, I would love to leave the car in that spot continuously.

#72 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:04 PM

One time I was all but begged by a woman not to park along the curb in front of her house. It was a long time ago so I can't remember exactly but she was either on the verge of tears or crying outright. Anyway, apparently it was a significant issue in her household.

I think a lot of people are genuinely stressed by the implied association between them and the vehicle parked out front of their home. They feel obliged to account for it to others. Don't jump to any conclusions about that unfamiliar car out front. I don't know anything about that unfamiliar car. The presence of that unfamiliar car does not betray any untoward associations or activities on my part. And so forth.

#73 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:06 PM

I've heard someone say they have a registered residential parking spot on their street in Victoria, as in only they with their registration number can park there. I didn't know we had that here.

#74 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:32 PM

Yes currently residential zones are enforced by complaint, and it would be a very extreme occurrence for enforcement to be scaled back because of the nature. It's not the same in a limited time zone where it can be for certain circumstances and a limited time. Unfortunately the ticket is written and people who have been complained about will need to provide some proof of residency. Understanding its a hassle the upcoming parking review will examine what other option are. Currently I'm not aware that any City does this perfectly, there are pitfalls in each method. If there are better ideas out there don't hesitate to throw them out and we can discuss. No people do not have any specific rights to the road in front of their residence.

Regarding Gladstone, I looked into the changes today and heard they had yet to be made. I will follow up and find out what is happening and where the City is on this. I understand there are a few people away for various reasons, which is not meant as an excuse but there you go. I'll see what's up. It's been many years since the City kept an inventory of signs and yes they do for the most part need to be made.

#75 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:41 PM

I've read this line forwards and backwards a few times ..

I have to assume its a case of sarcasm not translating well on the internet.. as I just cant take it at face value.

cakes..

Hmmm, I'm not sure what you think was being implied; however, we happily and proudly welcome families of all ages.

Indeed, just this evening, our Board was discussing how you can have a table of twenty-year olds doing shots, sitting next to a table of eighty year olds having snifters of brandy, next to thirtysomethibg DINKs in for a romantic supper, next to a family, complete with booster/high chair.

And it all works. I guess that what makes it a Neighbourhood Gem?

#76 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,509 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:40 PM

I've heard someone say they have a registered residential parking spot on their street in Victoria, as in only they with their registration number can park there. I didn't know we had that here.

There are "Residential permit parking only" zones but those zones aren't defined in the bylaws so I don't know where they are.

Residential parking zone

(1) The driver of a vehicle may park it or permit it to remain parked on the street in a Residential Parking Zone if, in relation to a dwelling located on a City block abutting that Zone, the driver:

(a) resides there;
(b) is visiting an occupant there; or
© is transacting business, performing work, or rendering services there.

(2) Despite subsection (1), if only one side of a street is designated a Residential Parking Zone for a City block or part of a City block, a driver of a vehicle may park the vehicle or permit it to remain parked on that side of the street for any one or more of the purposes described in subsection (1) in relation to a dwelling if the dwelling is located on a lot that

(a) abuts a No Stopping Zone or a No Parking Zone that is on the other side
of the street,
(b) is located on that City block,
© is located on the other side of the street directly across from the
Residential Parking Zone, and
(d) is zoned, under the Zoning Regulation Bylaw, for single family dwelling or
duplex use.

Residential parking permit zone

(1) The driver of a passenger vehicle or motorcycle may park it or permit it to remain parked in a designated Residential Parking Permit Zone during the hours when it is in effect for a particular City block or portion of a City block only if a valid permit issued under this section is displayed in or on the vehicle or motorcycle.

(2) A residential parking permit must be conspicuously displayed on a parked
passenger vehicle or motorcycle in a manner that allows the permit to be readily observed and read

(3) A person who resides at a dwelling that is located on a lot in a Residential
Parking Permit Zone may apply in writing to the Director of Engineering for a
permit.

(4) The Director of Engineering may issue a permit
(a) after considering the space available for parking on the street to which the permit applies, and
(b) upon payment of an annual fee of $20.00.

(5) The Director of Engineering may revoke or refuse to renew a permit if for any reason the space available for residential parking is reduced on the street to which the permit applies or would apply.

(6) A permit that has not been revoked sooner or renewed is valid for one year.

(7) A permit holder may renew a permit by applying in writing to the Director of Engineering.

(8) If a permit holder ceases to be a resident of the place of residence shown on the permit, the permit expires immediately.

(9) A person must not hold more than 2 subsisting permits.

(10) The Director of Engineering may revoke the permit of a person who has obtained it by supplying false information.

(11) The Director of Engineering may issue a replacement permit to a person who has lost or destroyed a permit if that person produces reasonable evidence of the loss or destruction.

(12) This section does not exempt a person from any other provision of this Bylaw or the Motor Vehicle Act in connection with the parking and stopping of a vehicle.

#77 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 06:16 AM

There are "Residential permit parking only" zones but those zones aren't defined in the bylaws so I don't know where they are.

Yes there are some streets where it is residential by permit. This system does have it's issues as well. Main one being that these permits can be rented or sold to commuters if they are not needed by the resident. The constant enforcement of these zone is also a waste of resources.

What if a resident would be able to email (or better sign in) the licence plate of their guest. Could still be an issue with selling space but the City could review if the same plate is being signed in daily for 8 hours? This would take more resources though.

#78 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 06:31 AM

^ That is a good idea. Though I think in general there are too many residential parking zones vs time limited zones.

It has a whole new look!

#79 arfenarf

arfenarf
  • 322 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 06:34 AM

I live right around the corner from the last "Residential Parking Only" sign over mile's walk from the downtown core. The street in front of the house fills up with commuters as soon as the locals leave. A very old neighbourhood, many of the driveways (including mine) are just too small for cars much bigger than a Mini. (Hey. That's the ticket. I'll buy a Mini).

I do my best not to get bent out of shape when I get home and have to park a couple of blocks away and haul my groceries back up the road. (Actually, I usually park in my driveway and across the sidewalk long enough to dump the groceries on my front step and then go find a place to put the car before I walk home, muttering and cursing). But as you can see, I'm not successful.

People are territorial creatures and I supposed an awful lot of law and regulation is about trying to mediate between all the competing "Everything Not Nailed Down is Mine" points of view.

When I lived in a Residential Parking Zone, I made up a bunch of business cards to put on the dash with my address and phone number, saying that the car belonged to a guest. I don't know whether they did anything, but I only had one guest ticketed in two years, and that person didn't have a card. I would have *loved* a system where I could go to a web form for the city and check a license plate in and out for blocks of time.

Ah, well. I'm running behind. Better walk into town and get to work. :D

#80 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 06:39 AM

Sure near downtown I can see that there is some need but we do not need them everywhere in the city. I live near Glasgow Street and Finlayson where each house has an ample driveway and yet there are Residential Parking Only signs. This just does not make any sense.

It has a whole new look!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users