- - - - -

Municipal elections in November 2011 - general discussion

• Please log in to reply
170 replies to this topic

#21 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 11:15 AM

With the state of the world economy being what it is, I wonder if that will figure into the election platforms for the fall election?

Victoria politicians seem gungho on LRT which will not be built until after most of them are in rest homes. Then you have sewage treatment lurking somewhere. The potential cost overuns for the new bridge, and all the new taxes to pay for the above.

Let's see some of those platforms.

#22 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 11:34 AM

Poppycock at City Hall?

read more;
http://www.focusonline.ca/?q=node/263

#23 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 12:55 PM

^ Ouch!!

#24 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 29 August 2011 - 01:55 PM

This is who I know of at the moment that is running:

Victoria
Paul Brown - Mayor
Dean Fortin - Mayor - incumbent
Saul Andersen
Steve Filipovic
Lisa Helps
Rose Henry
Ben Isitt
Phillipe Lucas - incumbent
Pam Madoff - incumbent

Saanich
Frank Leonard - Mayor - incumbent
David Cubberly - Mayor
Susan Brice - incumbent
Judy Brownoff - incumbent
Paul Gerrard - incumbent
Dean Murdock - incumbent
Vicki Sanders - incumbent

Esquimalt
Barb Desjardins - Mayor - incumbent
Meagan Brame - council - incumbent
Lynda Hundleby - council - incumbent
Tim Morrison - council - writes the Esquimalt Review
David Hodgins - council
Bob McKie - council - ran in 2008 came 7th

Current councilor Ali Gaul will not run for re-election. Randall Garrison has resigned as he has been elected MP. Councilors Don Linge and Bruce McIildoon have not said if they will run again.

Oak Bay
Hazel Braithwaite - mayor - incumbent councilor
John Herbert - incumbent (not 100% certain yet)
Tara Ney - incumbent

Five term incumbent Alan Cassidy will not be running as he passed away in early July.
Mayor Chris Causton is not running again

View Royal
Graham Hill - mayor - incumbent
Andrew Britton - incumbent
Heidi Rast - incumbent
John Rogers - incumbent
David Screech - incumbent

Colwood
Rob Martin - council
Mayor David Saunders is not running again
Councilor Shaun Wysiecki is not running again

Metchosin
John Ranns - Mayor - incumbent

Sooke
Wendel Milne - Mayor

Incumbent mayor Janet Evans is not running again

Juan de Fuca Electoral Area
Mike Hicks - incumbent

Central Saanich
Bob Thompson - mayor
Carl Jensen - council
James McNulty - council

I have heard rumours of others and I am waiting from formal confirmation from many incumbents. So this is the state of what I can confirm at this time.

#25 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,775 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 02:13 PM

This is who I know of at the moment that is running: Victoria...Pam Madoff - incumbent ...

I died a little inside when I read this the other day. I was truly hoping she would finally decide to step away from Council. I am sure she could keep herself quite active driving around town making sure nothing ever blocks her view of the Sooke Hills, including trees, birds and clouds.

#26 Jacques Cadé

Jacques Cadé
  • 938 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 03:08 PM

On CFAX this morning, Victoria councillor Lynn Hunter said she's running for re-election in November.

#27 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 09:17 PM

Are there any candidates running who will fight to preserve the citys heritage?

#28 David Bratzer

David Bratzer
  • 517 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 10:15 AM

Are there any candidates running who will fight to preserve the citys heritage?

Bingo - I'm running for school board trustee in District 61 (Greater Victoria). Back in May, I published an opinion piece that touches on heritage as it relates to our schools:

http://www.timescolo...5248/story.html

There are several schools - particularly Quadra Elementary and George Jay Elementary - that are on the heritage registry. One or both of these schools may be at risk of closing someday because of demographic trends (low projected enrolment). I should emphasize there is no cause for immediate or even short term concern. However, in the long term, I would like to encourage District 61 to work with the City of Victoria regarding enrolment numbers and community planning.

Feel free to give me a call at 250 813 2117 or visit my web site (www.bratzer.net) if you have any questions.

#29 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 11:50 AM

^ Welcome to Vibrant Victoria David.

#30 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 02 September 2011 - 01:30 PM

Bingo - I'm running for school board trustee in District 61 (Greater Victoria). Back in May, I published an opinion piece that touches on heritage as it relates to our schools:

http://www.timescolo...5248/story.html

There are several schools - particularly Quadra Elementary and George Jay Elementary - that are on the heritage registry. One or both of these schools may be at risk of closing someday because of demographic trends (low projected enrolment). I should emphasize there is no cause for immediate or even short term concern. However, in the long term, I would like to encourage District 61 to work with the City of Victoria regarding enrolment numbers and community planning.

Feel free to give me a call at 250 813 2117 or visit my web site (www.bratzer.net) if you have any questions.

I am voting for David

#31 Schnook

Schnook
  • 202 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 06:57 PM

Mr. Bratzer - Perhaps you might care to respond to an inquiry that I have wrt local school construction:

Classroom Construction Begins (18-Jan)

Is there someone in your network (or on this board) who might share why construction of two rooms has dragged to NINE MONTHS?

In the space of ONE MONTH, I have witnessed the raising of an apartment building in Brentwood. A pair of medium sized homes is nearly complete in TWO WEEKS.

Somehow, construction at Keating remains. Suspicion is natural, yes?

Regards

#32 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 07:42 PM

^ David is running in SD 61.....you are referring to SD 63 business. Campbell Construction is working on both Keating and Brentwood elementary schools. They may be dealing with seismic work as well. The seismic work at Stelly's a couple of years back took an entire year. One would need to review the scope of work. Keep in mind that the school was occupied between January and June. That can be slow sledding.

#33 eseedhouse

eseedhouse
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 06:18 PM

If you are running for a council or mayor position, or a position on a School Board, and wish to be endorsed by the Victoria Labour Council, details may be found on the council's web page at http://victorialabour.ca/

#34 Jacques Cadé

Jacques Cadé
  • 938 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 10:44 AM

Election information and nomination forms for the 2011 election in the City of Victoria are up on the City's website, at http://victoria.ca/c.../election.shtml. The deadline for filing nomination papers is 4:00 pm on October 14.

Victoria seems to be first out of the gate. I don't see election info on the websites of other CRD municipalities yet.

#35 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 07:57 AM

Bernard has an interesting post on Victoria's longest-serving municipal politicians. Winner: Geoff Young.

http://victoriavisio...f-victoria.html

Geoff Young 23 years - 1984-99, 2006 to current
Pam Madoff 18 years - 1994-current
Robert Dewar 17 years - 1920-37
J.A. Worthington 17 years - 1928-45
Helen Hughes 16 years - 1991-2006
William Fullerton 15 years - 1905-11, 1913-17, 1919-21

I think a reason for the quick turnover in the olden days was that mayoral terms were only two years.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#36 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 05 September 2011 - 09:46 AM

Bernard has an interesting post on Victoria's longest-serving municipal politicians. Winner: Geoff Young.

http://victoriavisio...f-victoria.html

I think a reason for the quick turnover in the olden days was that mayoral terms were only two years.

Geoff Young spent 12 years on a council with two year terms. That time alone puts him in the top ten

#37 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 02:06 PM

Geoff is a "winner" for sure.

#38 David Bratzer

David Bratzer
  • 517 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 10:12 AM

Mr. Bratzer - Perhaps you might care to respond to an inquiry that I have wrt local school construction:

Classroom Construction Begins (18-Jan)

Is there someone in your network (or on this board) who might share why construction of two rooms has dragged to NINE MONTHS?

In the space of ONE MONTH, I have witnessed the raising of an apartment building in Brentwood. A pair of medium sized homes is nearly complete in TWO WEEKS.

Somehow, construction at Keating remains. Suspicion is natural, yes?

Regards

Thank you Sparky for the welcome and thank you Bernard for the public support.

Schnook - District 63 is not the area where I am running. However, I did follow-up with District 63 staff and they gave me permission to post their response. (Please remember I am just the messenger. :-)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 9:46 AM
Subject: School District No. 63 (Saanich) - Brentwood and Keating School Construction Program
To: davidbratzer@gmail.com

Dear David Bratzer:

Brentwood and Keating elementary school projects were tendered as a single contract, so that the general contractor could manage sub-trades between those two facilities more efficiently.* This strategy turned-out to be effective because tenders closed lower than the pre-tender estimate and Campbell Construction Ltd was the successful bidder, who is a well respected and knowledgeable Victoria construction firm.* Between the two schools, five classrooms were added, internal renovations of 3 classrooms were undertaken, along with a new heating system and new double-pane windows at Keating elementary.* All of the interior renovations, window replacements and heating system were installed in July and August, comprising nearly $1 Million of construction.* Otherwise, during the time from January to June the work was completed at a regular pace of $300,000 per month, or at the pace of the equivalent of one residential townhouse or single family home construction per month.* On the contrary, I believe Campbell Construction completed the work by September 6th in a cost-effective and efficient manner for the taxpayers of the Province.* The full-day kindergarten classrooms, student service areas and new heating system at Keating elementary are all well-regarded and appreciated by staff and parents at these schools.

Thank you again for your inquiry about the new school additions at Saanich Schools.

Regards,
--
D. K. (Kim) Milburn
Director of Facilities
Saanich School District No. 63

#39 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 11:19 AM

Oak Bay slumbers on.

#40 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 02:26 PM

18 year old Grant McLachlan is running for council in Langford.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users