• Please log in to reply
1101 replies to this topic

#21 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,502 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 November 2011 - 12:08 PM

I too was never a fan of hunting - I don't like the idea of killing Bambi and friends, but from an animal cruelty point of view, a wild animal leads a much better life than one being raised in a commercial animal farm. They endure far less stress throughout their lives.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#22 SamCB

SamCB
  • 665 posts
  • Locationvictoria

Posted 14 November 2011 - 01:16 PM

I too was never a fan of hunting - I don't like the idea of killing Bambi and friends, but from an animal cruelty point of view, a wild animal leads a much better life than one being raised in a commercial animal farm. They endure far less stress throughout their lives.

You're saying that a wild animal- with the constant threat of predation and patchy access to food- is less stressed than one raised in a protected environment with guaranteed, regular meals? I'd love to see data that backs up your opinion.

#23 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 03:13 PM

Most commercial animal farms tend to be run like a brutal 3rd world private prisons or a concentration camp, not a nice hotel for animals. The qualify of life for the animals can really vary depending on the rules they actually follow or not too. I believe canada has far better rules and actual enforcement than the US, but it's still not great. The idea of cows happily hanging out in a grassy field is not the reality of a majority of livestock's lives.

I used to be a fairly big defender of the deer. I don't garden so let them eat what ever they want. But the huge increase in insurance claims and accidents is getting serious and something needs to be done. And I hope what ever is done they go with the most cost effective option. I believe arrows are fairly cheap.

That or have a more natural solution to the situation. Bring in cougars! If the cougars get out of control we can bring in some bears to keep the peace.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#24 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,786 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 04:58 PM

Unless people are vegan can anyone really be upset by a dear cull? Anyone that is and is not offended by their local meat department is sadly misinformed. All that meat used to be a cute cuddly animal. Too bad they taste so good.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#25 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 05:23 PM

Right, but that meat magically comes from the supermarket, while a deer you can see with your own eyes is something quite else for many people.

#26 vandervalk

vandervalk
  • 263 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 05:54 PM

Unless people are vegan can anyone really be upset by a dear cull? Anyone that is and is not offended by their local meat department is sadly misinformed. All that meat used to be a cute cuddly animal. Too bad they taste so good.

For me it's not about shooting an animal for meat IF it's needed, which in this country it's not. Think about all the beef and fish thrown out at the supermarkets which have never been sold.

I just don't think the whole arguement that they are eating my garden and in my yard is something that warrants killing an animal, be it a moose, bear, deer etc.

Humans are far more devastating on the land and environment than all the other animals put together.

I wish people could co-exist a little better.

A prized rose garden doesn't equal killing, er, sorry, culling, a deer.
Real Estate, Landscape and Family Photographer
http://www.vandervalk.ca

#27 LJ

LJ
  • 12,685 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 06:58 PM

^They are just large rodents.

Do you let the rats come in and eat the food in your house as well?

If the deer population was sustainable they would be almost unobservable, they are grossly overpopulated and now have to go into unnatural surroundings to forage for food.

Don't give me the "they were here first" argument unless you are willing to give up your home and property and return it to a natural state and have the deer move in, and if you are willing to do that, I will be more than willing to supply you with the deer.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#28 vandervalk

vandervalk
  • 263 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 10:50 PM

^They are just large rodents.

Do you let the rats come in and eat the food in your house as well?

If the deer population was sustainable they would be almost unobservable, they are grossly overpopulated and now have to go into unnatural surroundings to forage for food.

Don't give me the "they were here first" argument unless you are willing to give up your home and property and return it to a natural state and have the deer move in, and if you are willing to do that, I will be more than willing to supply you with the deer.

Notice I didn't say intrusive critters or rodents IN my house.

I protect myself and my family in my house.

My property outdoors will remain just that and would totally welcome deer on it. Why not? If rats, mice, spiders and deer want to inhabit that, then so be it.

I stupidly bought an apple tree for the front yard this year, not thinking. It got eaten. Who's fault for putting that on a Sooke yard? I guess I should snuff out the deer, right?

I would love nothing more than watching deer eating my grass in my backyard while enjoying a morning coffee, but I have a fence put up because of humans, not animals.

Why are deer a problem exactly? Because you want to cultivate non-indigenous plants on your yard?
Real Estate, Landscape and Family Photographer
http://www.vandervalk.ca

#29 Barrett r Blackwood

Barrett r Blackwood

Barrett

• 91 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 11:05 PM

We have a whole family of deer right at Fernwood and Pandora, somtimes they hang for a long time and nap there in the back lot.

#30 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 11:28 PM

I used to be of the "who cares about some roses" mind, but insurance claims tell the full story. Deer related claims from car accidents and such have gone up about 400% if I recall. I like having them around, I don't want to see them totally eliminated, but the population has to be managed in some way. I routinely see them almost hit by cars on rockland. Every year they get less and less car and human wary, and don't forget they will gladly attack and kill your pets and even children if they view them as a threat.

#31 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 07:25 AM

Why are deer a problem exactly? Because you want to cultivate non-indigenous plants on your yard?

In a rural setting like Sooke deer might be fine, but in an urban setting deer are becoming a safety hazard more-so than a concern over eaten shrubs.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#32 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 08:49 AM

... don't forget they will gladly attack and kill your pets and even children if they view them as a threat.

OK, I don't particularly object to a deer cull, but can I assume you are kidding when you say deer will kill your children? Has there ever been a deer that killed a child?

#33 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 08:57 AM

OK, I don't particularly object to a deer cull, but can I assume you are kidding when you say deer will kill your children? Has there ever been a deer that killed a child?

Likely, given the prevalence of deer on the road and the number of accidents they have directly caused.

#34 maniac78

maniac78
  • 271 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 09:12 AM

I haven't heard of a deer killing a child yet but I have seen a youtube video of a deer attacking a dog. I also remember a cyclist hitting a deer and dying years ago. Anyway here's the youtube :

http://www.youtube.c...DkEcZ_k8Q#t=68s

#35 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 09:14 AM

Likely, given the prevalence of deer on the road and the number of accidents they have directly caused.

Yes, but I don't believe a deer has ever attacked and killed a child.

#36 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,797 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 09:15 AM

Ha, try riding your bicycle home from work after midnight through Oak Bay and getting chased by a big buck. :) It's a good thing he lost interest!

If it's not the damned deer, it's the owls!

Matt.

#37 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 09:44 AM

Deer hurt and even kill people all the time, either through attacks or accidents. They are large animals who can get quite violent. They find dogs threatening and will attack them frequently as well.

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

http://query.nytimes...4D0405B848CF1D3

http://www.newschann....asp?s=12003088

http://www.thisishul...tail/story.html

http://www.huffingto..._n_1009438.html

Deer are wild and potentially dangerous animals

#38 aastra

aastra
  • 20,570 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 10:34 AM

Mule deer attacks woman near Preston, ID:
http://www.idahostat...1cc4c03286.html

Methinks incidents will become more common now that the urban deer population is getting so out of hand in so many places.

Not just in North America:

Ian Rotherham, Professor of Environmental Geography at Sheffield Hallam University and expert in urban animals, has carried out research into the growth of the deer population in cities. On the outskirts of Sheffield he recorded 150 sightings of red deer in 2008, compared to just three in 1980.

...the main problem is road accidents. The National Deer Vehicle Collisions Project estimates estimate there are 74,000 accidents caused by deer every year, of which 44 per cent are in urban areas.

http://www.telegraph...lem-for-UK.html

#39 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 11:16 AM

OK, deers are vicious child killers, get 'em I say!

#40 slinkyo

slinkyo
  • 155 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 12:29 PM

Notice I didn't say intrusive critters or rodents IN my house.

I protect myself and my family in my house.

My property outdoors will remain just that and would totally welcome deer on it. Why not? If rats, mice, spiders and deer want to inhabit that, then so be it.

I stupidly bought an apple tree for the front yard this year, not thinking. It got eaten. Who's fault for putting that on a Sooke yard? I guess I should snuff out the deer, right?

I would love nothing more than watching deer eating my grass in my backyard while enjoying a morning coffee, but I have a fence put up because of humans, not animals.

The most intelligent post to date on this forum topic. The rest of you town villagers can grab your pitchforks and join Sarah Palin in Alaska where this mentality is much better suited.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users