- - - - -

[Central Saanich] Carl Jensen | Council

• Please log in to reply
148 replies to this topic

#21 CarlonCouncil

CarlonCouncil
  • 267 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 07:29 AM

Some of you may be curious and wondering just who is Carl Jensen? Well, here are a couple of video clips to show you who I am:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=Sn75RlA3CGg

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

Carl

Carl I. Jensen
Central Saanich Councillor

Twitter - @carloncouncil
E - carl.jensen@csaanich.ca
T - 250.858.6532
Facebook - http://facebook.com/carlforcouncil

#22 CarlonCouncil

CarlonCouncil
  • 267 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 07:40 AM

There are only seven weeks to go until the big day. The candidates have between Oct 4-14 to submit their official paperwork to CS Municipal Hall and after that point they will be publishing an official list of who will be on the ballot. Looking forward to seeing who else will be running this year!!

Carl

Carl I. Jensen

Twitter - @carloncouncil
T - 250.858.6532

#23 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 02 October 2011 - 06:13 PM

I have heard a great deal about...what should or should not be done on the farm.

Carl - Ultimately, it's up to the farmer what should or shouldn't be done on his farm - provided ALR regulations and the few applicable local bylaws are adhered to - don'tcha think? If the farmer was switching from cows to pigs or hay to mushrooms, does any opinion other than the farmer's really count? As a farm product, I don't see how compost is different.

That's my opinion, though. If you're interested in meeting with someone from the farm, feel free to PM me and I'd be happy to arrange a tour for you.

#24 CarlonCouncil

CarlonCouncil
  • 267 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 07:00 AM

@ Bob - I would be leaning towards your opinion on this one as one my Top 3 priorities on my platform is working with farmers to identify modern and sustainable ways for them to operate in our evolving economy.

I would love a tour as I would like to learn more about what they are doing on the farm. But pardon my ignorance as I can't seem to figure out how to PM you, sorry! Can you please email me or give me a call - brentwoodhighlander@gmail.com or 652-6532. Thanks.

Carl

Carl I. Jensen

Twitter - @carloncouncil
T - 250.858.6532

#25 CarlonCouncil

CarlonCouncil
  • 267 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 07:02 AM

The Premier is offering up $30M towards rec facilities for small communities. As I think its fair to look at CS as a "small community" I am curious as to what the residents think this could be used towards in CS? Thanks for your input!

Carl

Carl I. Jensen

Twitter - @carloncouncil
T - 250.858.6532

#26 CarlonCouncil

CarlonCouncil
  • 267 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 03:01 PM

I will be in the gallery at tonight's Council meeting, come by and say hello as I am pretty sure I will be the only one there with a stack of Carl for Council flyers!

Here is the Agenda for the meeting: http://www.centralsa...ncil Agenda.pdf

Carl

Carl I. Jensen

Twitter - @carloncouncil
T - 250.858.6532

#27 Schnook

Schnook
  • 202 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 01:59 PM

The Premier is offering up $30M towards rec facilities for small communities. As I think its fair to look at CS as a "small community" I am curious as to what the residents think this could be used towards in CS? Thanks for your input! Carl

Premier Clark announces $30M fund for recreation facilities (3-Sep)

Maybe we can get some help with 'our' debt. The current Council essentially put CS deep in the red by approving rec projects that were neither needed nor wanted by the vast majority, skewed referendum results notwithstanding.

I would support any candidate who gives priority to debt / deficit elimination coupled with boondoggle detection and avoidance.

What's your position on Smart Meters? I smell one of those cash cows that come giftwrapped in "Green" rhetoric.

#28 CarlonCouncil

CarlonCouncil
  • 267 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 09:33 PM

@Schnook - My take on Smart Meters, with the limited research I had read on them, supported the idea of a moratorium on them pending more research to validate the claims of BC Hydro of their safety prior to their deployment. But apparently a 55% vote at UBCM in favour of the moratorium was not enough to sway the province.

I understand that they were being compared to wireless routers, cordless phones, cell phone and microwaves in terms of potential for harm, but the last time I checked, those were all items that we as residents could choose to use or not use. I don't like how the ability to choose was taken away from the people on this one as a great deal of the people that I speak with were undecided, but they liked the idea of awaiting some testing first.

Carl

Carl I. Jensen

Twitter - @carloncouncil
T - 250.858.6532

#29 CarlonCouncil

CarlonCouncil
  • 267 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 09:49 PM

I want to share my platform in terms of my goals or vision for Central Saanich:

• Balance attainable housing for Central Saanich residents with maintaining the rural beauty of the District.
  • Preserve agriculture by working with the farming community to identify modern and sustainable farming practices.
  • Revitalize the Keating Industrial Area to be the prime tax revenue source for Central Saanich.
Aside from these goals, I am out in the community right now learning about what is most important to the residents and business owners of Central Saanich as this feedback and input will be critical to the role I can play on Council should I be elected.

Your thoughts, comments, questions or feedback?

Carl

Carl I. Jensen

Twitter - @carloncouncil
T - 250.858.6532

#30 CarlonCouncil

CarlonCouncil
  • 267 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 04:15 PM

The 1st Central Saanich All Candidates Forum has been announced: Oct 28 at the Brentwood Community Hall from 7-9 pm.

Looking forward to it already!!!

Carl

Carl I. Jensen

Twitter - @carloncouncil
T - 250.858.6532

#31 Schnook

Schnook
  • 202 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 05:39 PM

Hi Carl,

Thanks for your response to my inquiry re: Smart Meters. Your reading gibes with mine. On the matter of choice, it seems peculiar that a bureaucracy that is deeply in the red somehow - through "shadow" bidding process (Who else bid?!) - locates up to a BILLION DOLLARS in order to roll out something that we don't need (the existing system works just fine TYVM).

The only explanation I can come up with is that the new technology presents bureaucrats with a superior REVENUE DRIP. The results in Ontario speak for themselves (rates up ~80%). Health concerns and needs analysis are very probably secondary to MORE MONEY in the hands of all involved. There is a significant need for greater process and documentation disclosure:

First to Profit from $1 Billion Smart Meter Program: Liberal Insiders (Tyee, 7-Mar)

As for your platform, I agree with plank 3 (including Keating flyover) 100%, but I lack background that would make your first two planks meaningful. Maybe if you gave specific examples, it would help to explain why these things should be particularly important. (Edit: I plan to attend the forum, so will look forward to getting informed then.)

Rgds

#32 CarlonCouncil

CarlonCouncil
  • 267 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 10:17 AM

As for your platform, I agree with plank 3 (including Keating flyover) 100%, but I lack background that would make your first two planks meaningful. Maybe if you gave specific examples, it would help to explain why these things should be particularly important. (Edit: I plan to attend the forum, so will look forward to getting informed then.)

@Schnook - Happy to provide some context to the first 2 items on my platform:
  • In terms of achieving attainable housing, I want to ensure that CS remains affordable for as many demographics as possible so that we might have as diverse a community as possible. This can be achieved through opportunities to provide smaller living units suct as condo's, duplexes, smaller homes on sub-divided properties that can be achieved through managed growth within our currently developed areas of Brentwood, Saanicton and Tanner Ridge. This will benefit CS in several ways as it will support attainable housing, it will increase the tax base and it will provide local housing for the employees of the Keating and commercial areas of CS. By working within the current residential areas where possible, we can mantain the rural beauty of the community that we all moved here for.
  • When looking at agriculture on the peninsula, which encompasses approximately 70% of CS, I don't believe the issue is preserving the farmlands, as that is managed the the ALR, but what I believe is important is in how we support the farmers so that they can be financially sustainable and can continue farming. Otherwise, the alternative is that their land is sold off and we see more and more rural estates where the farming becomes secondary, if it even continues at all. We can avoid this by working with the farmers to support them.
Looking forward to the ACF on Oct 28, and I would suggest you come and introduce yourself as I would like to meet you.

Carl

Carl I. Jensen

Twitter - @carloncouncil
T - 250.858.6532

#33 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 11:55 AM

When looking at agriculture...what I believe is important is in how we support the farmers so that they can be financially sustainable and can continue farming.

Does that include removing the archaic and environmentally unfriendly bylaw prohibiting farmers to sell their compost - arguably a farm product akin to milk or hay - from the farm gate? Do you support removing this bylaw, Carl?

#34 CarlonCouncil

CarlonCouncil
  • 267 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 01:02 PM

Does that include removing the archaic and environmentally unfriendly bylaw prohibiting farmers to sell their compost - arguably a farm product akin to milk or hay - from the farm gate? Do you support removing this bylaw, Carl?

Yes, I would be in favour of that as it would support one of my platform goals to helps farmers be more economically sustainable.

Carl

Carl I. Jensen

Twitter - @carloncouncil
T - 250.858.6532

#35 CarlonCouncil

CarlonCouncil
  • 267 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 06:45 AM

Good Morning!! There are only 6 weeks to go until the big day across BC!! I'm getting fired up for the big day, but in the meantime I look forward to the conversations, discussions and debates I am going to have with residents and business owners across CS over the next 6 weeks!! When people ask why do I run, that is one of the reasons as it gives me a chance to get to know my neighbours and find out what they think of CS!!

In terms of campaign contributions, if you would like to make a donation to the Carl for Council Campaign it would be greatly appreciated! A donation as small as $5 will go a long way towards the costs of brochures, flyers and signs to help me promote my message and goals throughout CS!!

Cheques can be made out to: Carl Jensen. They can be mailed to:

1012 Damelart Way
Brentwood Bay, BC
V8M 1H7

Contributions can also be sent through Paypal using the following email: brentwoodhighlander@gmail.com

Thanks for your support!!

Carl

Carl I. Jensen

Twitter - @carloncouncil
T - 250.858.6532

#36 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 12:30 PM

^^This looks suspiciously like an advertisement. God knows I've had posts deleted for less.

#37 CarlonCouncil

CarlonCouncil
  • 267 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 07:15 AM

Good Morning,

Now before we all settle down to elaborate Thanksgiving dinners and we fill ourselves with turkey, a question I would like to pose to residents and businesses of CS:

In your opinion, what are the key issues facing CS today that need to be addressed by the incoming council?

I look forward to your thoughts and input. Happy Thanksgiving everybody!! Have a safe and relaxing weekend!

Carl

Carl I. Jensen

Twitter - @carloncouncil
T - 250.858.6532

#38 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 08:32 AM

I'd be happy if there was a mayor that didn't complain when his business district actually had business in it. Remember this?

Jack Marr: "THE TAX IS BASED ON THE ASSETS OF THE BUILDING, AND THE BUILDING IS STILL HERE. AS FAR AS I'M CONCERNED, IN A SENSE, IT'S A GOOD THING [that West Corp. closed]. PEOPLE [HAVE BEEN] SAYING SINCE WEST MOVED INTO HERE THE TRAFFIC HAS INCREASED PROBABLY ABOUT THREE TIMES – ESPECIALLY IN THE OLDFIELD ROAD AREA."
-C-FAX News

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#39 CarlonCouncil

CarlonCouncil
  • 267 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 07:24 AM

@ Holden West - That was a serious blow when we lost West from the area. I was there for the opening ceremony when they first arrived. I think when it comes to businesses in all of CS, but especially Keating as our "industrial" area, council should be working with the business community to ensure they have all the assistance to survive in the corrent economy.

Carl

Carl I. Jensen

Twitter - @carloncouncil
T - 250.858.6532

#40 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 10 October 2011 - 08:06 AM

@ Holden West - That was a serious blow when we lost West from the area. I was there for the opening ceremony when they first arrived. I think when it comes to businesses in all of CS, but especially Keating as our "industrial" area, council should be working with the business community to ensure they have all the assistance to survive in the corrent economy.

Carl

Sometimes the little things can have a major impact especially when it comes to impressions.....how about changing the name from Keating Industrial Park to Keating Business Park....the word industry brings on thoughts of noise and smoke and heavy equipment....havent seen too much of that in the last 25 years....

Just a thought

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users