Photo

BC Transit (Victoria Regional Transit System) news and issues

• Please log in to reply
9628 replies to this topic

#5661 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 01:48 PM

Right, the connection to Victoria is pretty good. But residents in Sooke have little means to actually get to the main line unless they drive.

Gosh golly our fractured municipal state makes angry old men out of us.

I don't understand what you expect for those out in Sooke.  I have very little sympathy, if you choose to live all the way out there and commute in.  If you made that decision and were ok with the 90 minute bus trips, good on you.  If you made it expecting an LRT to Sooke in 3 years, or even buses every 15 minutes, expecting someone else to pay for that, I've got some pretty nice dreams too.

• VicHockeyFan and jonny like this

#5662 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 01:50 PM

Right, the connection to Victoria is pretty good. But residents in Sooke have little means to actually get to the main line unless they drive.

Gosh golly our fractured municipal state makes angry old men out of us.

But the way BC Transit funding works is that if Sooke wanted better bus service they could pay BC Transit to run more service in Sooke. BC Transit is simply the contracted service provider. They will do whatever the municipalities pay them to do. 

#5663 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 01:53 PM

Jeepers. There are more people living in Sooke than in View Royal and by the next census it’ll eclipse Esquimalt and Oak Bay. It’s not just a podunk little hick town in the middle of nowhere.

A community of 13,000 people should have access to more than a single reasonably frequent bus route. It currently has the worst transit services on the south Island and that’s not ok.
  • tedward likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5664 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 01:54 PM

But the way BC Transit funding works is that if Sooke wanted better bus service they could pay BC Transit to run more service in Sooke. BC Transit is simply the contracted service provider. They will do whatever the municipalities pay them to do. 

Uhh, no. That isn't how it works. BC Transit both operates and plans the buses here in the region. Their taxes are completely independent of the munis (who do collect it on their behalf, but that is all they do). The commission decides on taxation levels, very much similar to the CRD or the GVPL - legally separate boards that share some members.

#5665 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 01:57 PM

It's not like all bus routes are made equal.  That dude in VR is probably on the bus for 20 minutes, but the Sooke bus trip is 90 minutes, at the same rate.  So my impression is this is just another notch in the sprawl subsidy bedpost.

• Nparker likes this

#5666 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 01:58 PM

Uhh, no. That isn't how it works. BC Transit both operates and plans the buses here in the region. Their taxes are completely independent of the munis (who do collect it on their behalf, but that is all they do). The commission decides on taxation levels, very much similar to the CRD or the GVPL - legally separate boards that share some members.

So you're telling me that Sooke has no say? Why would Sooke sign-up for that?

#5667 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 02:00 PM

It’s not just a podunk little hick town in the middle of nowhere.

You haven't been to Sooke, have you?

#5668 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 02:03 PM

So you're telling me that Sooke has no say? Why would Sooke sign-up for that?

Because they have no choice. The commission model is specified in the legislation. Partly why there are no other regional commissions anywhere else in the province - they are too much of a headache

https://bctransit.co...nsit-commission

• jonny likes this

#5669 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 02:11 PM

You haven't been to Sooke, have you?

It’s a small residential suburb. What’s it supposed to be? Richmond? It’s no Port Moody, I’ll give it that, but it’s also more of a town than North Saanich is, or Metchosin, or Highlands.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5670 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 02:13 PM

But as the town furthest away from Victoria does it deserve $2.50 one way fares?
  • Nparker, jonny and thundergun like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#5671 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 02:13 PM

It's not like all bus routes are made equal. That dude in VR is probably on the bus for 20 minutes, but the Sooke bus trip is 90 minutes, at the same rate. So my impression is this is just another notch in the sprawl subsidy bedpost.

BC Transit used to charge a higher fare for Sooke riders but decided to forego zones. I agree that longer routes should cost riders more but for some reason BCT does not.

Know it all.

#5672 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 02:15 PM

But as the town furthest away from Victoria does it deserve $2.50 one way fares?

No! But that has nothing to do with Sooke.

The distance traveled is nearly identical to routes from North Saanich and Sidney which also charge riders $2.50. I think we can all agree that BCT should not have lowered fares for such long routes but they did.

Know it all.

#5673 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 02:25 PM

Well that depends on the cost of administering two zones over the cost of the subsidy.  My thoughts were more on the line of maybe you only get one sporadic bus route because it's so far away, vis a vis your contribution, whereas in VR they get far more service a) because more routes go through it incidentally, b) the routes are shorter, c) more riders, etc.

• jonny likes this

#5674 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 02:31 PM

It’s all politics. The 1 and 2 routes run empty all day long but the thought of cutting service to a wealthy area of Victoria is a non starter.

Know it all.

#5675 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 02:34 PM

It's not like all bus routes are made equal.  That dude in VR is probably on the bus for 20 minutes, but the Sooke bus trip is 90 minutes, at the same rate.  So my impression is this is just another notch in the sprawl subsidy bedpost.

Once again we weren't talking about the 61. The original conversation was getting around Sooke (which included connecting to the 61 but not going to Langford/Colwood/Victoria/etc.). For example my sister and her friends wanted to go to Sooke Potholes this summer but the day they decided on none of their parents could drive (they're too young to have Ns) so they had to bus. They were planning on going from Uptown to the Potholes and looked up the bus schedule. Now this gives no results for some reason but look at where Westbound Sooke at Lazzar is and how far they'd have to walk down Sooke River road. They determined with the amount of time it would take walking there and back (for when they needed to get home) it wasn't worth it and went to Gyro or Willows or something. 

Why is there no commuter bus going down Sooke river road in the summer? I've been there a few times and it's pretty busy. 

#5676 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 02:35 PM

It’s all politics. The 1 and 2 routes run empty all day long but the thought of cutting service to a wealthy area of Victoria is a non starter.

Isn't the 1 only a peak hours bus and 2 is about to be expanded to James Bay (and I think they mentioned increasing the amount of buses at any given time)

#5677 LJ

LJ
  • 12,746 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 07:47 PM

I don't want to subsidize people living in Sooke commuting into Victoria. Sorry. 

How about subsidizing people who live on small islands demanding more ferry service?

• VicHockeyFan and Matt R. like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#5678 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,050 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 10:06 PM

And our bus service on salt spring (10,000-30,000 pop) sucks too! :)

Matt.

#5679 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 01:03 PM

Is the 8 becoming peak hours only? I was reading the bulletin about the service changes and see

Route 21 interlines with Route 7 in downtown. Midday service on weekdays, Saturdays and Sundays are increased to account for Route 8 no longer serving Camosun College.

https://bctransit.co...s/1403648890979

They don't have schedules listed for the 8 so I can't tell but that will be annoying. I'd sometimes take that from Lansdowne if the buses coming from UVic were all full/busy or if I needed to get to Interurban and the Campus bus wasn't going to get me there at a good time.

Actually now that I think about it they could be just terminating it at Tillicum Mall outside peak hours. Seems weird though. Also the 22N seems to be changing to the 21N which makes more sense as it was basically a 21 when it left from Camosun. Judging by the timing point stops listed it will be both directions which is a little weird.

Edited by Cats4Hire, 07 December 2017 - 01:16 PM.

#5680 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 02:06 PM

ok I just Emailed BC Transit. It seems the only change to the 8 will be Saturday it now terminates at Tillicum Mall and it should be 35-40 minute service during miday on weekdays.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

vortoozo