Photo

BC Transit (Victoria Regional Transit System) news and issues

• Please log in to reply
9629 replies to this topic

#5721 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 22 December 2017 - 11:23 AM

A few more updates. 7A is being discontinued, 50 and 61 are starting earlier on weekends (both directions) and 61 will be hourly giving 3 extra trips each Sunday. Apparently they are just changing 22N to 21N in name and I was just confused, 30/31 seem to now say "via Carey/Glanford" in both directions (I guess it makes sense not wanting 3 buses in the same bay at Royal Oak all just saying "Downtown") 32, 47 and 48 will use a different terminal at Legislature. https://bctransit.co...s/1403648758883

Also here's the 82's route http://staging.bctra...e=1403648978681

The timing points have a lot of places that aren't shown on that map though (Swartz Bay, West Saanich @ Wallace, Butchart Gardens, Wallace @ Benvenuto, West Saanich @ Verdier) and it looks like it'll go different places depending on time of day. The ones involved with Swartz Bay don't have the Community Bus sign either.

#5722 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 22 December 2017 - 01:16 PM

New bus schedules available on the bus. Picked one up today.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#5723 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 22 December 2017 - 10:36 PM

New bus schedules available on the bus. Picked one up today.

Also available at the libraries.

#5724 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 02:01 PM

30/31 seem to now say "via Carey/Glanford" in both directions (I guess it makes sense not wanting 3 buses in the same bay at Royal Oak all just saying "Downtown") 

The Google Maps schedules are up which gives the signs for buses revealing this as wrong. From Royal Oak the 30/31 will just say "Downtown" meaning 3 buses will all be leaving from the same bay at Royal Oak saying "Downtown" with one of them even terminating at a different place. I can't imagine that won't be confusing for people who don't take the bus much. 

#5725 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 05:59 PM

Has anyone noticed those smaller buses (not the ones used for Handy Darts but the ones just slightly smaller from the normal bus) have been on some of the busier routes lately? Today I was at Tillicum Mall picking up a prescription and I saw one leaving as a 11 and another just arriving at the stop. I've also seen them on 4, 22, 28 and 30. I would think if they had a bus shortage I'd be seeing this back in November not in December when most the UVic/Camosun buses have less service. 

#5726 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 06:06 PM

Has anyone noticed those smaller buses (not the ones used for Handy Darts but the ones just slightly smaller from the normal bus) have been on some of the busier routes lately? Today I was at Tillicum Mall picking up a prescription and I saw one leaving as a 11 and another just arriving at the stop. I've also seen them on 4, 22, 28 and 30. I would think if they had a bus shortage I'd be seeing this back in November not in December when most the UVic/Camosun buses have less service. 

The Chinese ones?

I see one on the 3 (or 7?) regularly.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 29 December 2017 - 06:06 PM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#5727 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 06:09 PM

The Chinese ones?

I see one on the 3 (or 7?) regularly.

Maybe? idk where they're from. I see them on the 3, 32 and 35 usually but never on any of the busier routes.

#5728 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,784 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 06:13 PM

The Chinese ones?...

Are you saying the Chinese buses are smaller? That sounds like a racial stereotype to me.  ;)

#5729 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 07:05 PM

Yup, those are the Chinese buses.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5730 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 09:51 PM

Yup, those are the Chinese buses.

They could use those on the Hereward Road route.

• Matt R. likes this

#5731 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 12:53 AM

There’s sort of three competing issues I’m aware of:

1. Some of the busier routes get buses from quieter routes just to move the vehicles / bolster service and what not. Because BC Transit doesn’t universally use the name bus size sometimes you get over / under sized vehicle. Conversely some community routes get full size buses at strange times (like 5am)

2. They’re in the midst of receiving a new batch of buses and retiring an old batch of buses, that can always stress fleets with minimal overhead a bit.

3. If a bus dies online, they’ll literally throw on the next available unit (notwithstanding double deckers) so that can also accentuate strange placement of vehicles.
  • Mike K. and Cats4Hire like this

#5732 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 09:11 AM

There’s sort of three competing issues I’m aware of:

1. Some of the busier routes get buses from quieter routes just to move the vehicles / bolster service and what not. Because BC Transit doesn’t universally use the name bus size sometimes you get over / under sized vehicle. Conversely some community routes get full size buses at strange times (like 5am)

2. They’re in the midst of receiving a new batch of buses and retiring an old batch of buses, that can always stress fleets with minimal overhead a bit.

3. If a bus dies online, they’ll literally throw on the next available unit (notwithstanding double deckers) so that can also accentuate strange placement of vehicles.

Number one and two make a lot of sense (two especially this time of year when they need less buses) but three seems kind of weird. If say a busy 26 that happens to be a standard size bus and frequently has pass-ups breaks down and the next one is one of these smaller ones will they still throw it on even if that just makes the issue worse?

#5733 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 12:15 PM

I’m not sure I’d categorize a small bus as worse than no bus?

#5734 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 12:41 PM

I’m not sure I’d categorize a small bus as worse than no bus?

Sure but are they ever completely out of standard size buses that it's either a small bus or no bus?

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#5735 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 07:22 AM

Sure but are they ever completely out of standard size buses that it's either a small bus or no bus?

Sometimes they are believe it or not!

#5736 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 09:53 AM

Sometimes they are believe it or not!

When was the last time they got new buses if you know? It seems almost every January and September they boost service (not counting reinstating service that was cut for summer/December) and/or adding new routes. They don't reduce or remove much. It seems if they sometimes run out of standard buses they should get more before boosting the service a bunch.

#5737 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 02:16 PM

They’re getting some right now. Not too sure how many I’ll enquire. BC Transit moves buses around the system provincially a lot too, so Victoria may get older buses at times too so it isn’t immediately apparent that there’s “new to us” buses on the street.

Anything with a number in the 6000 series is brand new. First one entered service a week or so before Christmas.

#5738 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 04:22 PM

A fair portion of serial killers use public transit.

Ressler
et al
. (19

86) reported that 85% of organized sexual serial murderers
used a vehicle compared with 62% of disorganized sexual serial murderers, and that the
organized murderers offended farther from their home location than the disorganized
murderers. This finding suggests that serial murderers who use vehicles may exhibit
larger home-to-crime distances than those who walk.

What are you suggesting?  that its common place to see someone covered in blood standing at the bus stop waiting for the bus?

Attention police:  while rushing to the scene make sure you check the bus stops, your guy is likely taking the bus!

Edited by tjv, 01 January 2018 - 04:26 PM.

#5739 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 10:17 AM

I noticed today the "not in service" buses have gone back to scrolling "Not in SVC" on the back instead of "OFF". At least around Royal Oak and Camosun. Were people getting confused that a bus said "OFF" and was driving down the road? They only changed that back in September. 

• VicHockeyFan and Nparker like this

#5740 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 05:01 PM

Why'd they change the 30 depending on if it's connected to the 75 or not? Heading towards Royal Oak if it's going to be a 75 it is the same as before but if it is stopping at Royal Oak it turns right on Mann instead of left and goes up Glanford/West Sannich. West Saanich is just fine service wise with the 6 and 31 but now Wilkinson has pretty poor service for no reason I can think of.

Thinking again, on top of this when the 75 is running the whole route that makes 4 buses going up West Saanich (since the 75 exits the highway at Quarda to get to Royal Oak) and nothing up Wilkinson. If they were going to separate a 30 and a 30/75 like this it probably should have been the other way around.

Edited by Cats4Hire, 03 January 2018 - 05:23 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users