BC Transit (Victoria Regional Transit System) news and issues

• Please log in to reply
9597 replies to this topic

#6561 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,347 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 02:05 AM

increased demand would make your cook bus every 10 minutes. free would have downtown residents going to wakmart instead of buying at shoppers. itd be a nightmare of extra usage.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 10 May 2019 - 02:06 AM.

#6562 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 06:33 AM

Stop investing in transit to the Westshore and really focus on the urban areas and ridership would really go up.

The urban area is already very well served for a city Victoria's size and ridership remains where it is as walking/cycling are equally as enticing.

Where the investment needs to happen is where there are no transit services at all, or where transit services are so limited that transit usage is impossible/impractical for the majority of potential riders.

Take Bear Mountain. Transit introduced a regular service there and along some other pockets of the area and ridership jumped. People actually commute from downtown now and hop on the 56 to BM. Five years ago that wasn't possible, and every single one of the riders that now use the 56 would have driven into downtown (or wherever they were going).

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6563 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,347 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 06:53 AM

or they never would have rented a bm basement suite. it might have just made for a different set of renters.

#6564 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 07:03 AM

That's a very good point.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6565 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 09:51 AM

Judging by the picture and hint I'm guessing it's showing the completed depot downtown but BC Transit is showing something off on Facebook in 9 minutes https://twitter.com/...902278609358849

#6566 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 12:54 PM

Does anyone know what the quickest way to transfer from a 30/31 Downtown to a 26 Dockyard is? The trip planner suggests getting off at Douglas/Cloverdale and walking to Boleskine/Douglas but I have a hard time believing that's quicker than getting off at Carey/Ravine and walking through Uptown. It kind of sucks how hard it is transferring from the 30/31/70 to 26 now.

#6567 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 14 May 2019 - 01:55 PM

Does anyone know what the quickest way to transfer from a 30/31 Downtown to a 26 Dockyard is? The trip planner suggests getting off at Douglas/Cloverdale and walking to Boleskine/Douglas but I have a hard time believing that's quicker than getting off at Carey/Ravine and walking through Uptown. It kind of sucks how hard it is transferring from the 30/31/70 to 26 now.

According to Google, both options are 450 m walking distance. Google also gives Boleskin/Douglas as the transfer option. I assume it is something to do with how their algorithm treats the switch bridge, Galloping Goose trail, and the sidewalks within Uptown.

• Cats4Hire likes this

#6568 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 07:54 AM

Is the bus stop on Douglas immediately north of Saanich/Boleskine not there anymore or something?

#6569 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 11:31 AM

Is the bus stop on Douglas immediately north of Saanich/Boleskine not there anymore or something?

nothing that turns off Carey (30, 31, 32, 70, 71) uses it since Douglas south isn't stopped at Carey so the buses can't always make it over.

#6570 kxl

kxl
  • 206 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 07:41 PM

It would be great if BCT put a stop on the far side of the Boleskine intersection (where the temporary stop was last year when they were doing construction on the bus lanes). Only for 30, 31, 32, 70, 71 and maybe 72, 75. Would facilitate transfers to Westshore-bound routes and the 26.

#6571 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 08:11 PM

Douglas stops always felt kinda weird to me. From Saanich to Hillside a number of them are quite far and if you're going to say somewhere around Tolmie you have a decent walk from either side. After that Bay is pretty close to Kings (at least north), Discovery a decent placement and the rest downtown are fairly close with it not feeling like anywhere is inaccessible for people who have issues walking. 

#6572 Linear Thinker

Linear Thinker
  • 522 posts
  • LocationWork from home, Live in Fairfield

Posted 16 May 2019 - 11:32 AM

Unverified bid results;

Ralmax, Victoria $6,923,266.54

Jacob Brothers, Surrey $7,312,999.00

Windley, Nanaimo $9,006,033.00

New southbound bus-only lane to ease commutes for residents of Greater Victoria

News release

Today, the Honourable Carla Qualtrough, Minister of Public Services and Procurement and Accessibility, on behalf of the Honourable François-Philippe Champagne, Minister of Infrastructure and Communities, and the Honourable Claire Trevena, Minister of Transportation and Infrastructure for B.C., announced funding for the construction of a new southbound bus-only lane along the Highway 1/Douglas Street corridor in Saanich. 

The new lane will provide exclusive access for buses between the Burnside Bridges and Tolmie Avenue. Once complete, this lane will complement the northbound bus-only lane that was funded through the Public Transit Infrastructure Fund and completed in December 2018, establishing a system of continuous bus lanes in both directions along Highway 1/Douglas Street, between the McKenzie interchange and downtown Victoria.

<quote trimmed>

#6573 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 05:16 AM

Whoa, Windley! And I was not aware Ralmax did construction.

Know it all.

#6574 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 06:34 AM

And I was not aware Ralmax did construction.

They'll probably just put down the same road they tore up someplace else.

• Mike K. likes this

#6575 Linear Thinker

Linear Thinker
  • 522 posts
  • LocationWork from home, Live in Fairfield

Posted 19 May 2019 - 09:45 PM

Ralmax is the parent company of Chew Excavating.

Whoa, Windley! And I was not aware Ralmax did construction.

• Mike K. likes this

#6576 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 05:33 PM

BC Transit's site now just uses Google Transit (even says so) so for trip planning you might as well just use Google Maps.

#6577 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 06:15 PM

What? You don't already?
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#6578 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 06:16 PM

What? You don't already?

no because 90% of the time I'm looking for trip stuff I'm double checking any potential detours or trip cancellations which as far as I'm aware aren't listed on Google Transit. 

• sdwright.vic likes this

#6579 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 10:38 AM

Are they changing the bus signs? I just saw a 21 heading downtown and the front and back signs (I couldn't see the side so no idea on that one) were bright white instead of orange. Every other bus has been orange.

#6580 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 04:02 PM

Are they changing the bus signs? I just saw a 21 heading downtown and the front and back signs (I couldn't see the side so no idea on that one) were bright white instead of orange. Every other bus has been orange.

Saw the same on a #6 going north on Quadra a little while ago. Side light too. I think the bright orange is more visible at a distance.

• Cats4Hire likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users