BC Transit (Victoria Regional Transit System) news and issues

• Please log in to reply
9626 replies to this topic

#6861 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 15 August 2019 - 09:56 AM

Ok, I'm glad common sense prevailed. The prospect of having to add dozens of buses to the roads and increase operating budgets by tens of millions just to support the ridership of 1/3 of students in grades 6-12 was a daunting proposition that would have required higher fares, higher gasoline taxes, a new transit yard and a significant increase in bus drivers, which the organization is already struggling to attract and maintain.

Interesting fact is that there are approximately 700 drivers working for the Victoria Regional Transit System.

Well, the common sense that prevailed is that all of those things are needed anyways, and removing one source of revenue would make improvements difficult. I think it was Haynes who said that most of the Saanich residents he spoke with though service level was a more significant barrier than fares.

This was a case where I think Helps was blinded by what might be beneficial to core residents and missed what the rest of the region's residents are asking for. 

#6862 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 10:12 AM

Needed incrementally, yes, but not over a span of only several years in addition to other expansion requirements. The pressures from making transit free for so many thousands of potential riders could have broken the system (like the Upass did when it was first introduced and commuters living along UVic routes were SOL during rush periods). Bussing was awful when they did that, and that’s what forced me to have to drive to campus every day.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6863 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 10:15 AM

...This was a case where I think Helps was blinded by what might be beneficial to core residents and missed what the rest of the region's residents are asking for. 

If by "beneficial to core residents" you mean "beneficial to Lisa's voting base" then I agree.

#6864 BCTransitLTC

BCTransitLTC
  • 28 posts
  • LocationLangford

Posted 16 August 2019 - 10:54 AM

Just beware; not every single bus has NextRide and/or working NextRide equipment. 

My paddle starts late in the morning (7:40) and I received an old red and blue New Flyer bus (with the old, hard to read sign) and it had no NextRide system, as well as no "annunciator". There's also a few shuttle type buses without NextRide equipment. 

#6865 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 11:32 AM

Just beware; not every single bus has NextRide and/or working NextRide equipment.

My paddle starts late in the morning (7:40) and I received an old red and blue New Flyer bus (with the old, hard to read sign) and it had no NextRide system, as well as no "annunciator". There's also a few shuttle type buses without NextRide equipment.

If you're referring to the comments we made about buses not showing up that were detoured I was watching the routes and as soon as they turned off the proper route they just popped out of existence until they got back to regular route and popped back in

#6866 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 12:40 PM

Need a safe ride home after a night on the town? Hop on a bus and let BC Transit do the driving!

Starting September 3, late night service will be extended by one hour (through approximately 2:30-3AM) on select routes, so you can stay out late and let us get you home safe. The late night service will be effective on routes:

· 4 UVic/Downtown
· 6 Downtown/Royal Oak Exchange
· 14 UVic/Vic General
· 15 Esquimalt/UVic
· 27 Gordon Head/Downtown
· 28 Majestic/Downtown
· 50 Langford/Downtown

In addition to extending late night service, BC Transit and the Victoria Regional Transit Commission are announcing service improvements on a number of routes in the Victoria Regional Transit System. These service changes will look to improve upon service reliability and route frequency.

The service improvements will include:

· 26 Dockyard/UVic: service frequency improvements (all service days)
· 32 Royal Oak/Cordova Bay: weekend frequency improvements
· 39 Westhills/Interurban/Royal Oak/UVic: service frequency improvements (all days)

Eight additional heavy-duty buses are also being added to the fleet to help with growing ridership demands in the region.

Service levels on routes servicing post-secondary and secondary schools will be reinstated to reflect increased demand when schools are in session.

Route 14 Vic General/UVic will remain on detour using the Johnson Street Bridge until further notice. Route 10 James Bay/Royal Jubilee will remain on detour until construction is complete.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6867 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 12:43 PM

I never realized the 30/31 don't have late-night service. I wonder why people in Gordon Head and along Quadra need it over those along Carey and Glanford. 

#6868 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 01:08 PM

Also something minor I noticed (which is true for the current rider's guide as well so it means nothing probably) the 9 says "Uvic via Hillside" and "Royal Oak Exchange via Gorge" while the sign on the bus and the talking voice all say "via Hillside - Gorge" for both directions. Most buses don't even list the "via" stuff on the Rider's Guide (4 is just Uvic/Downtown) with only the 3, 9, 10, 53, 82, and 87 doing it for some reason. 

#6869 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 02:28 PM

26 is also now considered a Frequent Route guaranteeing 15 minute or better service from 7 AM to 7 PM Monday-Friday

#6870 kenmuir

kenmuir
  • 84 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 03:30 PM

The December service change fiasco won't be happening this year; December reduction in service starts after UVic ends classes for the exam break.  UVic ends on 4 Dec, service change happens on 6 Dec.  January schedule and UVic session both begin on 6 Jan.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#6871 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 03:59 PM

Interesting date. As you point out that's two days after Uvic's last day but it actually is Camosun's last day so Interurban still has a day of just as many people with less 8s, 21s and 39s compared to the rest of the year. I wonder why they didn't just wait until the Monday opposed to the Friday.

#6872 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 06:04 PM

I never realized the 30/31 don't have late-night service. I wonder why people in Gordon Head and along Quadra need it over those along Carey and Glanford. 

Much of route 30 is duplicated by another route that has late-night service (50). Most of the rest of the route is within a 20 minute walk from a serviced late night stop (either route 6 or 50). Only the section between Carey & Kenneth to Ridgebank & Carey are longer. Resources are much better deployed to those routes that don't have the same duplication.

#6873 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 06:58 PM

Much of route 30 is duplicated by another route that has late-night service (50). Most of the rest of the route is within a 20 minute walk from a serviced late night stop (either route 6 or 50). Only the section between Carey & Kenneth to Ridgebank & Carey are longer. Resources are much better deployed to those routes that don't have the same duplication.

What about 31? 27/28 have that case too where it seems most of one route is within 20 minutes of the other so why not say run 27 and 31 as late night but not 28 and 30? I guess most of the route is also duplicated but it would also help that huge area between Quadra and the TCH with no other late night service. 

#6874 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 08:31 PM

27/28 late night service is complementary, with each route once an hour in half hour intervals. There's no real duplication.

Moving any of the existing runs to a 30/31 would create a situation where there's fewer people within walking distance of a late night route. It would be a step backwards. 

#6875 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 09:37 PM

Who is paying for all of this?  NextRide and now extra late night runs.  Certainly not calculated into any fares.

Transit USSR style.

#6876 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 21 August 2019 - 05:19 AM

Who is paying for all of this? NextRide and now extra late night runs. Certainly not calculated into any fares.

Transit USSR style.

They just got a grant (either earlier this year or late next year) from the provincial and federal governments for Nextride and another one about a month ago to pay for new buses (a bunch are supposed to be electric) so I assume it came from that one.

#6877 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 11:19 AM

NextRide no longer lists the 30 sticking to Carey/Wilkinson instead of Vanalman/Ridgebank as a detour despite the schedule preview still listing Ridgebank at Vanalman as the timing point. I would kinda prefer it stuck to this routing (quicker, Ridgebank is far too narrow for a full sized bus and outside of rush hour I rarely saw anyone get on/off in areas that aren't just a little bit further a walk like on Mann or by Copley Park) although I doubt they'll remove the service for that area. 

#6878 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 12:22 PM

NextRide no longer lists the 30 sticking to Carey/Wilkinson instead of Vanalman/Ridgebank as a detour despite the schedule preview still listing Ridgebank at Vanalman as the timing point. I would kinda prefer it stuck to this routing (quicker, Ridgebank is far too narrow for a full sized bus and outside of rush hour I rarely saw anyone get on/off in areas that aren't just a little bit further a walk like on Mann or by Copley Park) although I doubt they'll remove the service for that area. 

Ridgebank is open so I guess they just unchecked the "detour" option and didn't fix the routing

#6879 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 04:19 PM

Grade 9-12 members of Songhees and Esquimalt First Nations are getting free UPass started September https://www.bctransi...d=1529705814810

#6880 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 04:36 PM

Very good. This seems like a far more meaningful undertaking than the South Island Prosperity Project's shuttle service.

Here's the release from the link:

Greater Victoria School District, Songhees and Esquimalt Nations and BC Transit Collaborate to Improve Student Transportation
Aug 27, 2019

VICTORIA, B.C. – Beginning this September all grade 9-12 students living on the Songhees and Esquimalt Nations will receive a U-PASS, which will help remove transportation costs as a barrier to school attendance.

This program is a result of the BC Tripartite Education Agreement between the Government of Canada, the Government of British Columbia and the First Nations Education Steering Committee. The Agreement addresses meaningful systemic changes in B.C. education, including ensuring First Nations students have transportation services to BC public schools.

“Transportation is a critical element of access to education,” said Board Chair Jordan Watters. “Since the signing of the BC Tripartite Agreement, the District has been working closely with the Songhees and Esquimalt Nations, the District’s Aboriginal Nations Education Division and BC Transit to ensure solutions are in place in advance of the coming school year. We’re pleased to have collaboratively developed the U-PASS program, with the goal of eliminating the transportation barriers that might prevent high school-aged youth living on the Songhees and Esquimalt Reserves from attending school. We look forward to seeing increased student participation and having more learners in our classrooms.”

The U-PASS Transportation Plan gives unlimited access on all Victoria Regional Transit routes from September 1 – August 31. The program is funded by the First Nation Student Transportation Fund, which is paid by the Federal Government to the Provincial Government, and allocated by the Ministry of Education to boards of education. The U-Pass program came into effect as a pilot project for the months of May and June and will be in full implementation in September 2019.

“We are pleased to see the U-PASS program being implemented to help eliminate transportation costs for these students,” said Susan Brice, Greater Victoria Transit Commission chair. “ By removing this barrier, we are able to provide a safe and reliable transportation option for students from the Songhees and Esquimalt First Nations attending high school.”

“BC Transit is proud to partner with the Greater Victoria School District, as well as the Songhees and Esquimalt First Nations, to provide essential transportation services for high school students living on the Songhees and Esquimalt Reserves,” said Erinn Pinkerton, BC Transit President and Chief Executive Officer. “BC Transit recognizes the importance of having viable transportation options for students, and the U-PASS program helps provide them with better access to education.”

“Improving the learning outcomes of our on-reserve students is a high priority for the Nation”, shared Francine L’Hirondelle, Director of Education Services at Songhees Nation. “It is more than appreciated that the school district will be administering the U-pass program.  This is a positive step moving forward with an already good working relationship with the district.”

“Safe, affordable and accessible transportation is a key component in supporting our kids to attend school, noted Trisha Chestnutt, Education and Programs Manager with Esquimalt Nation. “Our grade 9-12 students will benefit significantly from the implementation of the U-PASS.”

“This is fantastic news for the Songhees and Esquimalt Nation youth. The U-PASS program will ensure more students are able to get to school safely and reliably,” MLA for Esquimalt Metchosin Mitzi Dean. “It will also make it easier for youth to attend extra-curricular activities and access services in our community.“

The District continues to work to implement and support all elements of the Agreement, which recognizes that improving educational outcomes for First Nations students is central to the self-determination and well-being efforts of First Nations in B.C.

The BC Tripartite Education Agreement was signed on January 23, 2019. It is the first of its kind in Canada and replaces the TEFA (Tripartite Education Framework Agreement) that was signed in 2012. The Agreement benefits First Nations students, schools and communities across the province.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users