Photo

BC Transit (Victoria Regional Transit System) news and issues

• Please log in to reply
9623 replies to this topic

#6921 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 09:24 AM

15 isn't even listed here for service disruption lol https://www.bctransi...d=1529705925931

#6922 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 10 September 2019 - 01:52 PM

How are they going to give out day passes?

It's not a completely closed in cab for the driver. Here's an example from BC Transit:

Bus-driver-safety-door-BC-Transit.png

#6923 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 10 September 2019 - 04:55 PM

My doc moved to Fort St, so I took the 50 downtown (and back) today.  Man, those bus lanes are a hoot.

Would ride my bike if I had somewhere to leave it I would feel comfortable with.  My doc drove into work a few times after he moved then said, "Forget that, e-bike it is."  Of course, they have a bike room for tenants of the building, not visitors.

I agree it's tough to depend on the bus being on time or available, but driving your car you can run into delays as well.

• tedward likes this

#6924 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 September 2019 - 10:30 PM

I agree it's tough to depend on the bus being on time or available, but driving your car you can run into delays as well.

Driving your car or riding a bike, if there's a delay you at least have the option - most of the time - of trying to find yourself an alternate route.

If the bus is late or gets stuck your only option is to wait it out, unless your destination is close enough to make walking a viable alternative.

#6925 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 06:00 AM

Mrs Mike K got a service disruption alert email 15 minutes after a scheduled bus on her route failed to show, alerting her that the scheduled bus would fail to show. The earlier bus she did board which departed on schedule arrived nearly 15 minutes behind schedule forcing her to miss her connection that runs on a 30 minute schedule.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6926 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,967 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 06:09 AM

I hope she enjoyed the downtime. playing candy crush or something.

#6927 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 06:17 AM

Out of curiosity was checking Nextride before leaving not an option (obviously wouldn't work if it takes longer to walk to the stop than it does for the bus to get there from start of the route) also the next 61 was at 6:54 meaning it could not have been 15 minutes behind schedule as your post was only 6 minutes after it was scheduled to arrive. There also should have been a 65 inbetween. According to Nextride both that 61 and 65 are currently about where they should be right now. Although idk what route she was transferring to so idk if the 65 is an option.

Edit: actually the 61 I was looking at is the one BC Transit says was cancelled. There's also one just after it that's not on the schedule or super early.

Edited by Cats4Hire, 11 September 2019 - 06:21 AM.

#6928 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 07:31 AM

^I didn't say she was using the 61, though.

It was a bus on her route, but she had caught an earlier bus. Her bus arrived 15 minutes behind schedule at her transfer point.

Nextride is only helpful in the AM if you’re catching a bus further down the route, but if you’re near the start you won’t see it until it suddenly appears at the very start of the route (ie you won’t see it positioning at the start of the route if that’s its first run of the day).

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6929 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 11 September 2019 - 09:44 AM

Driving your car or riding a bike, if there's a delay you at least have the option - most of the time - of trying to find yourself an alternate route.

If the bus is late or gets stuck your only option is to wait it out, unless your destination is close enough to make walking a viable alternative.

Except during rush hour(s) when all possible routes are equally congested, more so if there is some incident sending others to the same alternate route(s).

But I suppose in off-peak times the flexibility is there.

#6930 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 06:35 PM

A BC Transit bus has smashed through the centre barrier on the TCH at Leigh Road.

Know it all.

#6931 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,967 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 03:10 AM

A BC Transit bus has smashed through the centre barrier on the TCH at Leigh Road.

how does that show up on NextBus?

#6932 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 05:17 AM

how does that show up on NextBus?

I think the only routes that should be on the highway there are 66 and 99 so it was probably not in service

#6933 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 05:58 AM

It was heading for the transit yard, correct.

Know it all.

#6934 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,967 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 10:30 AM

photo of the bus crash here it’s pretty substantial.

https://www.vicnews....-slows-traffic/

#6935 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 10:37 AM

I think the only routes that should be on the highway there are 66 and 99 so it was probably not in service

I think there's a local rush hour route that uses that stretch of road as well. 47 or something like that.

#6936 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 10:49 AM

There was a passenger on board, but it is unclear who that passenger was.

Statement from the RCMP:

Bus Collision on Highway 1
West Shore

2019-09-13 11:38 PDT

File # 2019-17421

West Shore RCMP are investigating after a BC Transit bus was involved in a collision in Langford.

On September 12, 2019, West Shore RCMP responded to a collision involving a BC Transit bus on the Trans Canada Highway near Leigh Rd just after 6:30 p.m. The bus was travelling northbound on the highway when the driver attempted a manoeuver to change lanes in order to exit the highway. The bus lost control and collided with the centre meridian.

"The preliminary information collected at the scene showed that the rainy weather, along with the accumulation of water on the pavement were contributing factors to the crash. Both the driver and the only passenger of the bus were transported to hospital for minor injuries," says Constable Alex Berube of the West Shore RCMP.

No charges have been laid at this time and the collision remains under investigation.

Know it all.

#6937 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,967 posts

Posted 14 September 2019 - 05:17 AM

The B.C. government is pushing ahead with plans to build a regional handyDART facility in View Royal over the objections of residents and local government, Mayor David Screech said Friday.

View Royal council rejected the facility last year amid community concerns about noise, traffic, diesel fumes and potential environmental impacts to Craigflower Creek, which runs alongside the 3.2-hectare property at 2401 Burnside Rd. West.

https://www.timescol...-use-1.23945927

“Once the facility is built, the existing handyDART facility on Glanford Avenue will be relocated to the View Royal location, and the Glanford facility will be expanded to become another transit centre for its conventional fleet — with the other two facilities being in Langford and Victoria,” Trevena said.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 14 September 2019 - 05:19 AM.

#6938 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 14 September 2019 - 06:08 AM

“Once the facility is built, the existing handyDART facility on Glanford Avenue will be relocated to the View Royal location, and the Glanford facility will be expanded to become another transit centre for its conventional fleet — with the other two facilities being in Langford and Victoria,” Trevena said.

when I first read this I questioned if this was large enough but I guess so. I typically only go up Vanalman and you can see a parking lot with some handydarts but not the full thing on the other side of the road.

#6939 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

I have to say, that the NDP has been impressive with its stance on a number of issues in our region and it’s encouraging that they’ll do the right thing with the Malahat.

Know it all.

#6940 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

I have to say, that the NDP has been impressive with its stance on a number of issues in our region and it’s encouraging that they’ll do the right thing with the Malahat.

wrong topic?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users