• 53,031 posts

Posted 03 January 2020 - 04:59 PM

• Nparker likes this

#7362 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,031 posts

Posted 03 January 2020 - 05:01 PM

Sarah Duckett, 17, ... “It’s hard to get to city hall during school time. It’s all very busy.”

tenor.png

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 03 January 2020 - 05:02 PM.

#7363 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 03 January 2020 - 05:25 PM

You guys would be fun at parties
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#7364 DavidL

DavidL
  • 203 posts

Posted 03 January 2020 - 09:40 PM

Would it be unreasonable to make the other 5000 passes available to those outside Victoria proper who might want one - perhaps even on an at cost ($11.25) basis - once the month for which the passes are for begins?  They're paid for already after all, seems like quite the waste.

#7365 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 04 January 2020 - 12:26 AM

Would it be unreasonable to make the other 5000 passes available to those outside Victoria proper who might want one - perhaps even on an at cost ($11.25) basis - once the month for which the passes are for begins?  They're paid for already after all, seems like quite the waste.

Who replaces the reveue to BC Transit that they would otherwise get whem that out of town person previously purchased a pass?

#7366 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 04 January 2020 - 04:38 AM

I think bc transit counted on a low participation when they set the rate.

#7367 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 04 January 2020 - 09:25 AM

It would also frustrate City hall workers who aren’t too keen to be doing this in the first place.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7368 DavidL

DavidL
  • 203 posts

Posted 04 January 2020 - 12:12 PM

Who replaces the reveue to BC Transit that they would otherwise get whem that out of town person previously purchased a pass?

Fair point. I was thinking that they would likely be taken by kids who aren’t paying for passes currently.

#7369 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 04 January 2020 - 04:45 PM

...I was thinking that they would likely be taken by kids who aren’t paying for passes currently.

I think it's most likely being taken up by those who were already bus pass users - not that anyone at city hall appears to have made an effort to find this out before implementing the program. It would be nice if BC Transit released pre and post-implementation usage and revenue figures so we'd know the true cost of this bit of social engineering.

• DavidL likes this

#7370 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 04 January 2020 - 04:48 PM

I think it's most likely being taken up by those who were already bus pass users - not that anyone at city hall appears to have made an effort to find this out before implementing the program. It would be nice if BC Transit released pre and post-implementation usage and revenue figures so we'd know the true cost of this bit of social engineering.

yes interesting.  

#7371 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 06 January 2020 - 04:03 AM

vancouver:

TransLink will roll out its new limited-stop bus service on Monday.

The Metro Vancouver transit authority says the blue-and-green RapidBus will run 20 per cent faster than local bus service because of fewer stops, bus-only lanes, signal priority and all-door boarding. 

https://www.cbc.ca/n...ary-6-1.5415311

A fifth route on Marine Drive between Phibbs Exchange and Park Royal will launch between February and April 2020 due to construction delays.

#7372 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 06 January 2020 - 04:05 AM

is there any good reason we can't do all-door boarding on some buses like maybe the peninsula and westshore ones?  even if we just allow pass-holders to enter via the rear doors either with a swipe or without one.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 06 January 2020 - 04:05 AM.

#7373 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 06 January 2020 - 06:09 AM

Because people were complaining when they drove to California to get cheaper fare boxes so they can't do that anymore and can't afford buying enough at full price

#7374 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 06 January 2020 - 06:17 AM

Because people were complaining when they drove to California to get cheaper fare boxes so they can't do that anymore and can't afford buying enough at full price

oh yes i recall.  what i shame i wrecked transit.

• Cats4Hire likes this

#7375 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 03:22 PM

vancouver:

TransLink will roll out its new limited-stop bus service on Monday.

The Metro Vancouver transit authority says the blue-and-green RapidBus will run 20 per cent faster than local bus service because of fewer stops, bus-only lanes, signal priority and all-door boarding. 

https://www.cbc.ca/n...ary-6-1.5415311

A fifth route on Marine Drive between Phibbs Exchange and Park Royal will launch between February and April 2020 due to construction delays.

Would love to see these rolling down Douglas/TCH

Attached Images

• rapidbus_253712395-w.jpg

• Mike K. likes this

#7376 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 03:30 PM

surely it's time to make at least three pm and three am runs express on the #50.  no stops between herald and sooke/goldstream.  there are 15 departures from downtown between 4pm and 6pm.  make three of those express.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 07 January 2020 - 03:35 PM.

#7377 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 07 January 2020 - 03:58 PM

surely it's time to make at least three pm and three am runs express on the #50.  no stops between herald and sooke/goldstream.  there are 15 departures from downtown between 4pm and 6pm.  make three of those express.

I would make all Westshore bound buses express between Herald and the Westshore.   There are local buses for any other destination.  (OK, maybe one stop at Mayfair and another at Uptown).   Not going off the highway at Helmcken would save time as well.   The 14, 22, 39, 46, and 51 can all provide the service needed instead.

I also think we should do like in Metro Vancouver and the services over the Malahat, no getting off the bus in town.   That said, I do this all the time instead of taking the 30/31 which I could.

In Metro Vancouver the B-Line buses are also sped up a lot by allowing entry through any door.   If we did this here it would save 30 to 45 seconds per stop during busy times, which would get the buses out of downtown several minutes faster, which may not sound like a lot, but every small thing helps.

#7378 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 04:16 PM

I think based on what I see of people getting on 50/61 keeping Hillside (although I think most people there are just coming from 4 and could just ride further downtown), Uptown and Helmcken would be important as those all seem like really busy spots. Maybe if there was just express variants like the 28 has although since they got rid of 61X for 65 (and 27 in AM and 28 in PM are now the only ones left) I'm guessing express variants aren't wanted for some reason by Transit. 

just noticed I misread a bit but I think my point still stands with them not seeming interested in express variants of routes anymore

Edited by Cats4Hire, 07 January 2020 - 04:17 PM.

#7379 kxl

kxl
  • 206 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 04:34 PM

I would make all Westshore bound buses express between Herald and the Westshore. There are local buses for any other destination. (OK, maybe one stop at Mayfair and another at Uptown). Not going off the highway at Helmcken would save time as well. The 14, 22, 39, 46, and 51 can all provide the service needed instead.

Which would mean the removal of a direct route between Uptown, a major transit destination, with VGH/Eagle Creek. Even the Cowichan Valley Commuter stops at Helmcken.

#7380 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 04:49 PM

we don't need to make all the buses express.  but when you have one leaving every 6-8 minutes as we do you can pick out two or three for each rush.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 07 January 2020 - 04:50 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users