BC Transit (Victoria Regional Transit System) news and issues

• Please log in to reply
9623 replies to this topic

#7601 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,849 posts

Posted 28 March 2020 - 08:07 AM

car pooling won't be popular alternative.

#7602 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 28 March 2020 - 01:34 PM

Is anyone here still taking the bus and if so have you been on one that requires you to touch the bar to open the back door? I assumed those weren't running because there's no bar outside (and having to touch the bar) but I saw one pass by me today and didn't even think about it until it was far past.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#7603 kenmuir

kenmuir
  • 84 posts

Posted 28 March 2020 - 08:09 PM

I did on Monday, on a 30/31.  Fortunately, others were getting off at the same stop, so I let one of them push the bar.

Given that some jerk who got on at the same stop holding his Dairy Queen cone decided that continuing to lick his cone was more important than covering his mouth while he coughed, I'm just going to walk to the local grocery store for the rest of my Covid-cation.

Edited by kenmuir, 28 March 2020 - 08:10 PM.

• Mike K. likes this

#7604 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 29 March 2020 - 09:32 AM

Is anyone here still taking the bus and if so have you been on one that requires you to touch the bar to open the back door? I assumed those weren't running because there's no bar outside (and having to touch the bar) but I saw one pass by me today and didn't even think about it until it was far past.

I'm still commuting to my job in Vancouver, which requires the bus at both ends.  Luckily, I have sharp elbows, so I can push the 'stop' button, and when it comes to the doors, I use my forearm.   Buses at both ends, and the ferries, are deserted nowadays...

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#7605 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 29 March 2020 - 10:01 AM

I'm still commuting to my job in Vancouver, which requires the bus at both ends. Luckily, I have sharp elbows, so I can push the 'stop' button, and when it comes to the doors, I use my forearm. Buses at both ends, and the ferries, are deserted nowadays...

But what happens if I want on a stop and no one wants off? Does the driver run to the back to touch the bar? Or do they just open the front door for that one time?

#7606 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,849 posts

Posted 29 March 2020 - 10:14 AM

But what happens if I want on a stop and no one wants off? Does the driver run to the back to touch the bar? Or do they just open the front door for that one time?

i'm guessing they open the front door if there is no way for the driver to activate the back doors.

#7607 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 30 March 2020 - 02:21 PM

Why are the busses still running?

I don’t think doctors, nurses, police ride the bus.

Somebody PLEASE shut the bus system down.

I award you the "Let's screw over poor people" award

#7608 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,849 posts

Posted 30 March 2020 - 02:24 PM

Why do you bike .org guys choose such grand life-saving ideas for your self-serving “awards”?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 30 March 2020 - 02:25 PM.

#7609 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 30 March 2020 - 02:38 PM

A lot of hospital staff (and there are a lot more people than doctors and nurses in the hospital) use transit to get the three hospitals in the CRD.  There are a lot of stores that are still open and people need to get to them.   There is a demand for the service

#7610 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 30 March 2020 - 03:03 PM

Well, there goes the last decade of trying to do away with the stigma of riding a bus.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7611 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,849 posts

Posted 30 March 2020 - 03:06 PM

Come on Mike. Black kids are just as likely to ride the bus as poor kids.

(Joe Biden joke).
  • Bernard likes this

#7612 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 30 March 2020 - 03:12 PM

Biden met Cornpop on a bus, or in a swimming pool on a bus, or was it a pool hall in Missouri?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7613 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 01 April 2020 - 06:30 AM

schedule previews for April 6 are posted on the site

#7614 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 01 April 2020 - 09:08 AM

🚌BC Transit to introduce annual spring service change in Greater Victoria with additional reductions🚌

BC Transit will be implementing our annual spring seasonal service change with additional reductions on select routes effective April 6, 2020 in the Victoria Regional Transit System. It is a regularly scheduled reduction of service to match service levels with demand when post-secondary schools are not in session.

In order to respond to available resources and a decrease in ridership of approximately 70 per cent, BC Transit will be reducing service on some routes to provide more schedule certainty. With the change, the level of service will still allow for physical distancing while traveling on public transit in the Victoria Regional Transit System.
Additional reductions will include:

🔹A temporary discontinuation of late night service on Friday and Saturday nights (coming into effect Friday, April 3)
🔹Frequency reductions on multiple routes throughout the Victoria Regional Transit System

To find out more about changes to specific trips, please check the preview schedules on BCTransit.com. Due to the additional changes in response to COVID-19, a Rider’s Guide will not be available for the spring service change.

The response to COVID-19 is a fluid situation that businesses, governments, and people are adjusting to across the country and around the world. BC Transit will continue to monitor available resources and provide service updates on a day-to-day basis.

We thank our customers for their patience, and apologize for the inconvenience.

Our team is here for you if you need to travel to get to work, including healthcare facilities or essential service industries, or to get your weekly groceries or a prescription. Please visit BCTransit.com/covid19 for details about our response to COVID-19 including the reduced passenger capacity, rear door boarding, not collecting fares, and enhanced cleaning on buses and at our facilities.

For more information on BC Transit services, please visit BCTransit.com, check NextRide, or call 250-382-6161.

Know it all.

#7615 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 01 April 2020 - 09:59 AM

I'm surprised late night service wasn't cancelled earlier (unless they had been and this is just "we won't bother posting every Fri/Sat just assume they're cancelled" and they have been cancelling the past few weeks). Those trips are clearly intended for bars/clubs which have been closed for a while.
  • Mike K. and Victoria Watcher like this

#7616 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 03 April 2020 - 09:23 AM

Even though they already mentioned late night service would be suspended started today every route that would normally have it got individual posts separate from their other trip cancellation post

For example 50 late night: https://www.bctransi...d=1529708804412

50 regular service: https://www.bctransi...d=1529708801126

#7617 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 06 April 2020 - 12:01 PM

Some COVID updates

Backdoor boarding and not collecting fares extends to April 30

Vinyl panels covering the driver on light duty buses with only a front door 

https://www.bctransi...d=1529708839168

#7618 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 06 April 2020 - 12:59 PM

I am curious, has anyone used a bus lately?   Over the last few days the 21 and 22 I see when walking dogs are completely empty

#7619 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 06 April 2020 - 01:14 PM

I am curious, has anyone used a bus lately?   Over the last few days the 21 and 22 I see when walking dogs are completely empty

I've seen people on 30/31s that pass me as I'm walking around but never more than like 3 or 4. I personally haven't had any reason to go anywhere aside from walks around the neighbourhood so I haven't taken one myself though.

#7620 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,849 posts

Posted 15 April 2020 - 01:10 PM

bus lanes are so pre-plague.

A dedicated bus lane is now open in both directions on Douglas Street between Fisgard Street in Victoria and the Highway 1 – Burnside Road overpass in Saanich.

The completion of the new southbound bus lane adds to the transit corridor along the Trans-Canada Highway and is designed to encourage more people to use transit, helping reduce traffic congestion and greenhouse gas emissions, according to the B.C. Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure.

https://www.vicnews....tion-completed/
  • Cats4Hire likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users