BC Transit (Victoria Regional Transit System) news and issues

• Please log in to reply
9623 replies to this topic

#8001 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 30 June 2021 - 12:09 PM

Additional details on the RapidBus project are now available. The first route (Victoria-West Shore) will be operational within three years.

It’s hard to believe we were contemplating LRT in 1996.

https://www.facebook...59526410314362/

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8002 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,997 posts

Posted 30 June 2021 - 12:12 PM

“Outperforms the personal automobile in speed”.

I doubt it. certainly not on the pat bay route.

#8003 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 30 June 2021 - 02:32 PM

The plan will be to make it outperform the personal vehicle.

But hey, at least people will have an easy commute from Victoria to their office in Langford.

• Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8004 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 30 June 2021 - 02:40 PM

unless somehow it's allowed to exceed the car speed limit it's physically impossible to beat a car to the ferry if it makes more than 1 stop on the way.

#8005 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 30 June 2021 - 02:52 PM

Maybe the car will be required to wait at a red light while buses jump the queue in their own dedicated lanes approaching busy intersections.

Know it all.

#8006 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 30 June 2021 - 02:59 PM

Maybe the car will be required to wait at a red light while buses jump the queue in their own dedicated lanes approaching busy intersections.

there really aren't any past uptown.  i don't know.  i have argued here that the darned bus to the ferry should just go to the ferry.   one from downtown and one from westshore.   maybe one from UVic.  if you live on the peninsula pick up a local bus to the ferry.   the express ain't for you.

• Nparker likes this

#8007 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 30 June 2021 - 03:50 PM

Oh there's many. It can take quite a while for traffic to move from Blanshard at Broughton to Blanshard at the start of the freeway. You have to cross 15 intersections, and then you have four more before you hit Swartz Bay.

Know it all.

#8008 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 30 June 2021 - 04:24 PM

The RapidBus initiative will aim to better connect Greater Victoria’s areas with the highest travel demand in a way that outperforms single-vehicle traffic in speed, comfort and reliability.

https://www.vicnews....wn-travel-time/

The Westshore to Downtown Victoria Line will be the flagship route, with 22 stops each way between the Langford Centre and Legislature stations.

22 stops. that does not sound too fast.

why are transit expansions planned when it’s unclear if and when half the downtown workforce is coming back? ever.

you might wait to see if we get anywhere near to 90% of our previous transit use. I suspect that’s at least ten years and one major recession away. also we are in a bit of debt, no?

planners gonna plan though I guess.

finally how is it going to outperform cars in “comfort”? give me a break. it’s still the loser cruiser along with a bunch of questionable bus mates.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 30 June 2021 - 04:29 PM.

#8009 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 30 June 2021 - 05:19 PM

50 currently has 30 stops from Langford to Legislature. Does cutting 8 stops make it that much faster? This is what I mean with how weak the express routes are here, too much fluff and stops at places they don't need to. From what I've seen other places that use this style of bus service it would only stop at the exchanges and major points (VGH, Uptown, etc) and you would take feeder routes to the exchange which are timed to get there just before the main route leaves, not the main route just stops at a couple less stops that aren't as frequently used
  • Nparker likes this

#8010 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 30 June 2021 - 05:26 PM

in other locations a 30-minute bus would never be considered “Express”.
  • Cats4Hire likes this

#8011 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,735 posts

Posted 30 June 2021 - 05:47 PM

... how is it going to outperform cars in “comfort”? give me a break. it’s still the loser cruiser along with a bunch of questionable bus mates.

I can't imagine even the folks at BC Transit believe this bit of hyperbole.

#8012 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 30 June 2021 - 05:56 PM

in other locations a 30-minute bus would never be considered “Express”.

The comparable in Vancouver is the RapidBus network: RapidBus | TransLink

#8013 splashflash

splashflash
  • 244 posts

Posted 30 June 2021 - 08:13 PM

50 currently has 30 stops from Langford to Legislature. Does cutting 8 stops make it that much faster? This is what I mean with how weak the express routes are here, too much fluff and stops at places they don't need to. From what I've seen other places that use this style of bus service it would only stop at the exchanges and major points (VGH, Uptown, etc) and you would take feeder routes to the exchange which are timed to get there just before the main route leaves, not the main route just stops at a couple less stops that aren't as frequently used

Well, voice your opinion now. I think a lot agree with you. I mean, why not have a pilot automated shuttle to one or more of the major exchanges? That is now happening in different locales in various cities. A high frequency trunk line, 7 minutes or less would not require timing at exchanges with feeders, and I think that would be the case along the TCH. The issue with Douglas is that non-stopping buses would need to be in the regular lanes, would they not?

From their website:

How can I get more involved?
BC Transit, in collaboration with local government partners, is planning engagement opportunities in the near future for the Westshore to Downtown Victoria Line.

For more information or questions about the project, contact: rapidbus@bctransit.com.

#8014 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 30 June 2021 - 08:22 PM

The issue with Douglas is that non-stopping buses would need to be in the regular lanes, would they not?

Yeah, since they did the bus lanes a lot of stops are no longer pull over along Douglas so if the bus ends up behind anything else on Douglas (fairly likely) it would just end up essentially stopping at every stop anyway (unless there's time/space to merge around it) One of the main issues with the 15 along Foul Bay (if it's behind a 7) or Fort/Yates (behind 11 or 14) is exactly that. 

#8015 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 01 July 2021 - 03:22 AM

He said the focus will be on establishing enhanced and expanded dedicated bus lanes, building new stations with improved amenities and more space, and creating new, distinct branding and livery for rapid buses so they can be easily distinguished from regular transit offerings.

https://www.timescol...ears-1.24337605

I understand there is some value to this. but you can be more honest about the intention. it’s not really to “distinguish” them. it’s to be bright and shiny and say “This is the new better system. come see it.”

I’m not convinced of any demand. The mckenzie interchange changed everything then the pandemic (work from home and the decline of retail) and the crime (1000 new homeless) permanently sucked the life out of downtown employment. there will not be any downtown job growth.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 01 July 2021 - 03:28 AM.

#8016 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 01 July 2021 - 05:21 AM

“Getting people out of single-occupancy vehicles and into effective transit is a region-wide priority,” said chief executive Bruce Williams, noting it could help deal with the issues of traffic volume, congestion and carbon reduction.

https://www.timescol...ears-1.24337605

“This plan makes using transit more convenient. As the West Shore continues to grow plans like this address an anticipated increase in road traffic.”

nobody really has to convince me that the westshore is growing.   but i've yet to be convinced that that growth all wants to commute to downtown daily in the old 9-5 schedule.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 01 July 2021 - 05:22 AM.

#8017 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 01 July 2021 - 07:38 AM

No, it does not. There is far more to the Plexxis story than currently meets the eye. We’ll note that all of the tech industry boosters and job growth boosters are completely silent regarding Plexxis. It’s like it doesn’t exist.

Currently in Langford there is 112,000 square feet of office space under construction, and more to come.

Know it all.

#8018 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 01 July 2021 - 08:01 AM

Is there anyway to get up to Duncan for the day, or does the commuter bus just go in the other direction? I want to visit someone up there and really don't want to drive up. Wish there was a train. 

#8019 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 01 July 2021 - 08:09 AM

Depends on the day. On Saturday 44 leaves from Victoria starting at 10:47 (arrives at Village Green Mall 12:09). The last 44 of the day from Village Green Mall leaves at 3:36 so assuming you're meeting at the mall you would only have about 3 and a half hours, or you could wait until Monday to return but you'd have to leave on the 66 on one of the 4 trips between 5:32 and 6:25 AM (and yeah, heading north with 66 is only in the evening with the first trip leaving at 3:45)

#8020 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 01 July 2021 - 08:17 AM

Sounds delightful.

Hopefully the extreme degree of comfort makes up for the waste of mbjj’s time.
  • Matt R. and Cats4Hire like this

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users