• 2,891 posts

Posted 30 March 2021 - 01:22 PM

https://www.iheartra...vice-1.14876454

#7962 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 30 March 2021 - 02:57 PM

I believe they have an approximately 20-year lifespan, but as I said before, these new buses are under-powered and drivers consider them gutless. That's not good.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7963 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,867 posts

Posted 20 April 2021 - 01:00 PM

free transit for kids under 12 in today's budget.

don't we already have something like that?  a family fare?

A customer can bring up to four children (12 years and under) on board for free. Children must board and depart at the same stop as the pass-carrying customer.

The program is available to guardians 13 years and over with a valid monthly pass, DayPASS, ProPASS, U-PASS ECO-PASS or BC Bus Pass. This program does not apply to cash fares and tickets.  Passengers who have two tickets may purchase a DayPASS on board and take part in the Family Travel Program.

https://www.bctransi...s/family-travel

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 20 April 2021 - 01:02 PM.

#7964 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 20 April 2021 - 01:58 PM

so if someone with a January birthday turns 13 they can bring their 4 12 year old friends on free for a few months? That seems weird 13 is the minimum "guardian" age if 12 is the maximum "child" age.

#7965 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 20 April 2021 - 02:46 PM

free transit for kids under 12 in today's budget.

don't we already have something like that?  a family fare?

A customer can bring up to four children (12 years and under) on board for free. Children must board and depart at the same stop as the pass-carrying customer.

The program is available to guardians 13 years and over with a valid monthly pass, DayPASS, ProPASS, U-PASS ECO-PASS or BC Bus Pass. This program does not apply to cash fares and tickets.  Passengers who have two tickets may purchase a DayPASS on board and take part in the Family Travel Program.

https://www.bctransi...s/family-travel

That's not the case province-wide. In Vancouver it's currently 5 and under.

As noted above, even here it's only the case for certain fares.

Edited by vortoozo, 20 April 2021 - 02:46 PM.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#7966 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 20 April 2021 - 02:52 PM

Kids 5-and-under already ride for free here with a fare paying chaperone.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7967 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 21 April 2021 - 05:07 AM

Greater Victoria bus commuters ride for free this Earth Day.

In an attempt to get more people using sustainable transportation, BC Transit and the Victoria Regional Transit Commission have made all regular and handyDART transit free April 22.

https://www.vicnews....h-free-transit/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 21 April 2021 - 05:07 AM.

#7968 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 21 April 2021 - 05:00 PM

I believe they have an approximately 20-year lifespan, but as I said before, these new buses are under-powered and drivers consider them gutless. That's not good.

The mini-van horsepower wars come to the bus world?

• Mike K. likes this
Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#7969 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 22 April 2021 - 08:37 AM

Dunno if I've mentioned this before..

I work shifts in Vancouver, and commute by BC ferry and bus every 4 days.  The lack of integration between transit modes is as stunning as it is frustrating: Compass card for the bus in Vancouver, Credit card to get on the ferry, and then cash or pre-purchased ticket to get on the bus in Swartz.  

Every time I get on the bus - *guaranteed* - there is some poor, infrequent, traveler fumbling through the depths of their wallet/purse/pockets trying to piece together $2.50 in cash for the bus fare.  !Always! 

How difficult would it be to put in a machine at Swartz Bay that accepts cash or credit cards, and spits out bus tickets in return?

How difficult would it be to expand the compass card system to Victoria?

How difficult would it be to expand the compass card system to include the Ferries?

Elsewhere in the world, financial transactions nowadays are done electronically, and yet good old sleepy Victoria still uses cash and paper tickets.. :confused:

• Nparker and Cats4Hire like this
Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#7970 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 22 April 2021 - 08:43 AM

I would be much more inclined to take BC transit if I could simply tap my debit card to pay my fare. I'd probably even be willing to pay more for ease of payment.

#7971 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 22 April 2021 - 09:16 AM

^I've mentioned this before, I've traveled through Europe using every transportation mode you can think of and the most inconvenient part as far as transit payment is concerned is YVR to Victoria. It's improving but still.

• Nparker and Matt R. like this

#7972 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 22 April 2021 - 11:34 AM

I would be much more inclined to take BC transit if I could simply tap my debit card to pay my fare. I'd probably even be willing to pay more for ease of payment.

It's in the works. BC Transit planning to launch new smartphone fare payment system | Urbanized (dailyhive.com)

• North Shore and Victoria Watcher like this

#7973 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 02 June 2021 - 10:14 AM

June meeting documents are up. Only somewhat interesting note for future is proposals for what the final Uptown area will be like (more space on Carey, dedicated bus lanes on Ravine, connection to highway 1)

#7974 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 04 June 2021 - 08:16 AM

Looks like we’re at 50% of 2019 ridership.

https://www.bctransi...ngs/june-8-2021

Know it all.

#7975 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 13 June 2021 - 02:05 AM

this poll says 40% of Canadians plan to take transit less.

https://nationalpost...-the-after-life

it seems to me that in light of decreasing usage we should be reducing service.

#7976 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 14 June 2021 - 10:31 AM

June 28 service changes. Mostly the usual ones (minus boosting tourist oriented routes) with service level changes to 7/21 (seems to be for weekends) and 53 now terminating at VGH instead of Colwood https://www.bctransi...d=1529712676905

53 also seems to have a trip in the morning extending downtown and one in the evening from downtown now. 

Edited by Cats4Hire, 14 June 2021 - 10:33 AM.

#7977 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 22 June 2021 - 10:25 AM

Looks like (probably on the 28 as it isn't currently) 26 Dockyard will now be "Via Tillicum" rather than "Via McKenzie" as Nextride now lists it as such. I always thought for that direction "Via McKenzie" was odd as it leave McKenzie like a third into the route and isn't really helpful for anyone at Uptown or something that needs the "Tillicum bus".

#7978 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 23 June 2021 - 02:50 PM

Late-nite service planned for Canada Day.

Alcohol will be banned on buses.

https://www.facebook...59511794734362/

Know it all.

#7979 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 23 June 2021 - 02:50 PM

what about tuna? I’ve got a huge shipment to get across town on July 1.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 23 June 2021 - 02:51 PM.

#7980 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 23 June 2021 - 02:51 PM

They'll have to test it first.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users