BUILT
1515 Douglas Street
Uses: office, commercial
Address: 1515 Douglas Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 6
1515 Douglas Street is a six-storey, 111,428 square foot office complex with ground floor retail space at the ... (view full profile)
Learn more about 1515 Douglas Street on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] 1515 Douglas and 750 Pandora | Office; commercial | 6- & 13-storeys (53.6m & 27.4m) | Completed - Built in 2018 and 2017

Office Commercial

• Please log in to reply
1287 replies to this topic

#1201 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 05:39 AM

I guess that’s why so much art representing our time is so ...so not like art that represented generations of a bygone era where art was meant to please and not mindbend you into deciphering the indecipherable.

For the most part, modern art is laughably meaningless and unnecessarily disruptive where the only way most will understand what’s (maybe) going on is if they read an art “expert’s” 1,000 word descriptive essay. And if a piece of art needs to be accompanied by one of those...

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1202 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 08:19 AM

Who would be build a statue of? Steve Nash? Nelly Furtado? Jean Chretien? Paul Martin? Stephen Harper? Glen Clark? Gordon Campbell? Christy Clark? Maybe ol' Ujjal Dosanjh. 

It couldn't be a politician, especially a conservative politician, because people would be offended. It couldn't be religious, because people would be offended. It couldn't be a white man, because people would be offended. 

Oh I know, we could build a monument of a glass bottle going to the landfill when everybody thought it was going to be recycled. 

#1203 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 08:50 AM

^I like your idea of melting down all the stockpiled glass at Hartland and making a towering 30 foot blob. It would be cool until the sun came out and burned holes in everything around it.

• Nparker and jonny like this

#1204 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 18 July 2018 - 09:09 AM

At that point it would be hot instead. 

#1205 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 09:13 AM

Indeed.

#1206 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 18 July 2018 - 09:17 AM

Iconic folks (not politicians) get statues. Eg. Terry Fox. QE2 or Queen Victoria (though these days, probably passe and will offend people like Lisa Helps). How about Chris Hadfield?

#1207 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 09:24 AM

Iconic folks (not politicians) get statues. Eg. Terry Fox. QE2 or Queen Victoria (though these days, probably passe and will offend people like Lisa Helps). How about Chris Hadfield?

See thats why that particular brand of leftism is so cancerous. No past, no history, no culture, no identity, no art. Just grievance and privilege and victimhood for ever and ever

#1208 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 09:56 AM

Arthur Currie? Trying to think of notable people with strong connections to Victoria.

#1209 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 10:00 AM

The problem with "realistic" figurative sculpture is that it's so out of fashion, few people practice it anymore so the quality is often really sub par. 

#1210 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 10:07 AM

The problem with "realistic" figurative sculpture is that it's so out of fashion, few people practice it anymore so the quality is often really sub par. 

The other problem is that most of the old statues were of truly terrible people, largely wealthy white imperialists. No thanks.

• Nparker likes this

#1211 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 18 July 2018 - 10:07 AM

How about this guy mourning the loss of a plastic bag? The sorrow is especially palpable as this isn't a single-use plastic bag, illustrating how every life can be cut short prematurely.

82279e011de5fa910bf146d368940dae.jpg

#1212 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 10:29 AM

The other problem is that most of the old statues were of truly terrible people, largely wealthy white imperialists. No thanks.

*tips fedora*
  • Matt R. and lanforod like this

#1213 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 10:48 AM

I'm trying hard to make a list of decent, honourable white men but all I've been able to come up with is Terry Fox, Mr. Rogers and Keanu Reeves.

#1214 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,768 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 10:56 AM

I'm trying hard to make a list of decent, honourable white men but all I've been able to come up with is Terry Fox, Mr. Rogers and Keanu Reeves.

Santa Clause?

#1215 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 04:43 PM

^ But Santa is multi-national and different colours depending on lore. You know kinda like Jesus.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#1216 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 04:51 PM

...the most part, modern art is laughably meaningless and unnecessarily disruptive where the only way most will understand what’s (maybe) going on is if they read an art “expert’s” 1,000 word descriptive essay. And if a piece of art needs to be accompanied by one of those...

IMHO, your issue is you continually look for obvious meaning in art instead of letting it speak to just you, AND then debating your opinion with those you are with.

All art is meant to create discussion and debate. You know, like what the f@ck is Mona Lisa's issue?
  • Rob Randall likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#1217 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 05:14 PM

I used to be one of those "modern art is crap" types but nowadays I do enjoy the discussion around what more abstract art means. Though that does create a line between art that needs to always be contextualized vs art that speaks for itself. 

• sdwright.vic likes this

#1218 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,768 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 05:14 PM

^ But Santa is multi-national and different colours depending on lore. You know kinda like Jesus.

And just as real.

• sdwright.vic and Brantastic like this

#1219 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 09:33 AM

Too many artists try to be sensational or controversial and it gives their work attention ...but then the public moves on to the next bizarre installation that appears in a public space.

So much what we've seen materialize on our streets is disposable art that lacks timelessness and won't transcend as a testament of our time or as a reflection of our present day culture. It'll just be there for future generations to walk past paying it no heed.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1220 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 12:26 PM

So you are saying that now is too specific to our time period and thus in the future no one will notice it? That's how people felt about Rodin and I think it worked out okay.

Just to be on topic I went by today and the piece indeed will be a fountain.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users