Save-On-Foods grocery stores in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
364 replies to this topic

#61 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 07:12 PM

^This question is meant to be funny... Right?!?
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#62 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 07:24 PM

Hmm, I guess I've never seen a rumour article in the TC before and it struck me as really odd for a daily to run with a storey despite Whole Foods telling them there was no legitimacy to the rumours. An ex-editor of the TC once told me that validating facts and avoiding articles based on rumours is what sets them apart from "blogs." Go figure.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#63 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 09:15 PM

Hmm, I guess I've never seen a rumour article in the TC before and it struck me as really odd for a daily to run with a storey despite Whole Foods telling them there was no legitimacy to the rumours. An ex-editor of the TC once told me that validating facts and avoiding articles based on rumours is what sets them apart from "blogs." Go figure.

Once Shellie Gudgeon tweeted the rumour it became news. 

Could be an Urban Fare.

Although I thought it would be a Whole Foods I feel Overwaitea won't make them Urban Fares. I thought they'd be better in the Hudson. I'll bet they'll be regular Save-Ons but they'll be really nice looking ones.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#64 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 09:45 PM

Once Shellie Gudgeon tweeted the rumour it became news. 

Ha!

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#65 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 08:46 AM

From the TC dated October 23: http://www.timescolo...ncerns-1.668538

Safeway locations at 1950 Foul Bay Rd., 3958 Shelbourne St. at University Heights and 2345 Beacon Ave. in Sidney.

The Safeway at Tillicum Centre is not on the sale list.

From the CFax article

Overwaitea has announced the purchase of fifteen Sobeys' stores in the country. They include the Victoria Safeway locations at Tillicum, Foul Bay, and University Heights; and the Safeway in Sidney.

Looks like Safeway is gone from Victoria

#66 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,759 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 08:49 AM

...Looks like Safeway is gone from Victoria

And no one wept...except for Airmiles collectors possibly.

#67 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 08:52 AM

I would love it if Thrifty Foods disappeared, its not the same store since Sobeys bought it out and I don't shop there

#68 bluefox

bluefox

ex-Victorian

• 697 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 12:10 PM

They'll just have to buy more gas at Shell to make up the deficit. ;)

(Not the owner of, nor am I associated with, the Blue Fox Café, in any way.)

#69 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 12:38 PM

Some believe buying Safeway was a quicker way to expand the Thrifty's banner. Remember Safeway is a borrowed name... like Sears Canada.

Edited by sdwright.vic, 14 February 2014 - 12:39 PM.

#70 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 01:00 PM

Some believe buying Safeway was a quicker way to expand the Thrifty's banner. Remember Safeway is a borrowed name... like Sears Canada.

What do you mean? 200+ Safeway stores were purchased by Sobey's throughout Canada, nearly all of which are to become Sobey's stores, not Thrifty's.

#71 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 01:04 PM

For that reasoning Thrifty's should of been renamed Sobey's. I didn't say ALL stores either. Also if not mistaken, Safeway was only in Western Canada.

Edited by sdwright.vic, 14 February 2014 - 01:05 PM.

#72 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 01:22 PM

For that reasoning Thrifty's should of been renamed Sobey's. I didn't say ALL stores either. Also if not mistaken, Safeway was only in Western Canada.

I don't think this deal had anything to do with Thrifty's. In fact, I think Sobeys has actually lost a couple of Thrifty's stores as a result (one in Nanaimo, another in Abbotsford and one in New West if I recall correctly).

Everything I've read indicates that this move by Sobeys was to increase Sobeys presence in western Canada through the conversion of Safeway stores to Sobeys stores. Safeway Canada operated primarily in western Canada (I believe they had stores in Ontario though).

Clearly Sobeys sees significant brand equity in the Thrifty Foods brand otherwise you're right, they would have been converted to Sobeys.

Edited by jonny, 14 February 2014 - 01:41 PM.

#73 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 04:26 PM

Thats because they kept the better located Safeway stores. The sale of stores was to prevent the Sobey EMPIRE monopoly... Increasing Sobeys presence can also just mean increasing the stores they own... all brands not just one. It will be interesting sincevI dont think they will be able to keep the Safeway "brand" license.

The New West store (Thrifty) was a eady choice to unload... its lost money since opening.

#74 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 04:28 PM

Thats because they kept the better located Safeway stores. The sale of stores was to prevent the Sobey EMPIRE monopoly... Increasing Sobeys presence can also just mean increasing the stores they own... all brands not just one. It will be interesting sincevI dont think they will be able to keep the Safeway "brand" license.

The New West store (Thrifty) was a eady choice to unload... its lost money since opening.

The sale of some stores was about real estate... as the stores Safeway owned will be sold to the parent (Empire) for management. Thriftys has never owned the land their stores where at.

#75 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 04:28 PM

Meant to edit... not qoute myself.

#76 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 12:32 PM

Maybe the mods should change the title of this thread since the rumor isn't true and we know the truth

• Nparker likes this

#77 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,780 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 February 2014 - 04:42 PM

I love the Safeway deli sandwiches.  I frequent the Oak Bay location twice a week.  Great grilled chicken sandwich, chips, and a premium juice drink for like $7 bucks and change.  Can't beat that. 

• bluefox likes this

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#78 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,759 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 04:50 PM

To be fair, if one could afford it, the Safeway shopping experience was pretty nice. Large, clean stores; lots of selection, good meat and produce sections. Also, as Marko states, a really nice deli with good onsite soups and sandwiches. I haven't been into a Save-on-Foods in quite some time so I will be interested to see how their expanded presence in the region goes.

#79 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 06:42 PM

The Safeway on Tillicum is open until 12. I drop in there all the time as the Save-Ons at West Side closes nightly at 10. That seems so early IMO and I'll often find myself driving up not realizing the store has already closed.

Know it all.

#80 bluefox

bluefox

ex-Victorian

• 697 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 07:28 PM

The Safeway on Tillicum is open until 12. I drop in there all the time as the Save-Ons at West Side closes nightly at 10. That seems so early IMO and I'll often find myself driving up not realizing the store has already closed.

They might maintain the same hours, you never know.

Over here in Vancouver, for example, the SOF in Cambie Village is the last store to turn off the lights each night -- they're open til midnight. Everything else in the neighbourhood is closed at 9 or 10.

(Not the owner of, nor am I associated with, the Blue Fox Café, in any way.)

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users