Alto
Coleman
Hall
Kimpton
Luton
Madoff
Thorton-Joe
Young

If you are entertaining the idea of Robin Kimpton on city council than I might suggest that you come down to Hotel 760 and meet him in person. For a one on one if you wish or just come down to the BBQ and hang out for a bit. I would love for a respected member of the VV community to come and see what goes on down here and give some on/line feed back.
( BBQ Thurs / Fri 1-3 pm. 760 Queens. ) R.S.V.P.

#22 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 11:23 PM

Warning: This thread contains election predictions. You may read posts that crush your dreams. Optimists are advised to go elsewhere.

It's probably going to take 5-6,000 votes to get to Council this time. Credible newbies with skimpy resumes or other obstacles to overcome (ie: Kimpton) should not be ashamed to lose with a respectable 1-3,000 votes.

It will be extremely hard to win. You need years of political experience and an army of volunteers (Isitt), and a long list of community service (Helps, Gudgeon).
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#23 Barrett r Blackwood

Barrett r Blackwood

Barrett

• 91 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 11:57 PM

Warning: This thread contains election predictions. You may read posts that crush your dreams. Optimists are advised to go elsewhere.

It's probably going to take 5-6,000 votes to get to Council this time. Credible newbies with skimpy resumes or other obstacles to overcome (ie: Kimpton) should not be ashamed to lose with a respectable 1-3,000 votes.

It will be extremely hard to win. You need years of political experience and an army of volunteers (Isitt), and a long list of community service (Helps, Gudgeon).

With out question Robin Kimpton began this election as an under dog for sure. I agree that any new faces who get 1-3,000 votes will have a respectable showing. I do not know what will happen on the 19th. but I do know that if Mr. Kimpton does get a " respectable showing " it will send a message to city hall.

#24 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 08:05 AM

Is she not popular? All I know is that she cares about my 'hood. She is a business owner so she would lose some cred with the left there.

Outside of the business community and the area around 5th Street, she's not well known. I live a block away from her and didn't have a clue who she was and what she did. All she'd ever been to me and my immediate neighbours was "the lady who speeds by in her black Porsche SUV." And now "the lady who speeds by in her black Porsche SUV" is running for council.

I just don't think that will translate into votes.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#25 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 08:10 AM

^You'd be surprised how many voters do their research the night before the election, often voting on their gut or feel. Helps and especially Gudgeon hit early and hit hard with signage, which starts the name recognition ball rolling. This is why I will place those two high.

Seriously, many people have been elected because people thought, "I've heard of her, she seems nice".
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#26 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 08:15 AM

Helps is going to get a lot of votes, that I don't disagree with you on. But Gudgeon will be lost in the shuffle between left and right.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#27 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 12:09 PM

Coleman should be fine.

Lucas is the only incumbent in trouble, I think. He's my North Park community association rep, and as far as I know has not attended a monthly meeting in almost two years.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#28 bluefox

bluefox

ex-Victorian

• 697 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 02:11 AM

Mayor
Fortin, ~60%
--------------
Brown, ~35%
Filipovic, ~4%
Shebib, <1%

Councillors
Thornton-Joe
Young
Madoff
Luton
Alto
Coleman
Hunter
Lucas
--------------
Helps
Hall
Gudgeon
Isitt
Lalli
Murray
Henry
Kimpton
McGrew
Valentine
Turner
Andersen

#29 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 07:38 AM

Mayor
Fortin, ~60%
--------------
Brown, ~35%
Filipovic, ~4%
Shebib, <1%

Councillors
Thornton-Joe
Young
Madoff
Luton
Alto
Coleman
Hunter
Lucas
--------------
Helps
Hall
Gudgeon
Isitt
Lalli
Murray
Henry
Kimpton
McGrew
Valentine
Turner
Andersen

Wow, I am impressed. I have a sad feeling in my gut you are accurate for the winners. My list would be different but it's hard to separate who you want to win with who you would bet money on winning.

A 12th place showing for Isitt would be devastating and demoralizing and would likely see him bow out of politics after nearly a decade of trying.

I place Rose Henry a notch or two higher, at least above Murray. She never gets enough votes to challenge the winners but a lot of people save a vote for her. In the Helps/Gudgeon battle I see a toss up depending on turnout in the left of centre/right of centre neighbourhoods as Bernard noted. I'm leaning to Gudgeon, not just because I like her but I don't think she cancels out the Open Victoria slate. OV voters will likely vote for her but may drop McGrew, the less experienced OV candidate, to do so.

#30 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 09:17 AM

Can we please keep specific candidate discussions in the appropriate threads. Posts will not be transferred only deleted. Further transgressions may result in a posting ban for one week.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#31 bluefox

bluefox

ex-Victorian

• 697 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 05:20 PM

Wow, I am impressed. I have a sad feeling in my gut you are accurate for the winners. My list would be different but it's hard to separate who you want to win with who you would bet money on winning.

A 12th place showing for Isitt would be devastating and demoralizing and would likely see him bow out of politics after nearly a decade of trying.

I place Rose Henry a notch or two higher, at least above Murray. She never gets enough votes to challenge the winners but a lot of people save a vote for her. In the Helps/Gudgeon battle I see a toss up depending on turnout in the left of centre/right of centre neighbourhoods as Bernard noted. I'm leaning to Gudgeon, not just because I like her but I don't think she cancels out the Open Victoria slate. OV voters will likely vote for her but may drop McGrew, the less experienced OV candidate, to do so.

Thanks. I have a pretty good record of accuracy with past provincial and federal election results; I aim to continue that streak. ;)

I'd say I agree with most of your analysis there. A shift in votes of even the smallest quantity could really change the landscape of the vote on Saturday, and put any of those people in 9th-12th position over the top at the expense of those who have squeaked back onto council in 6th-8th spot. In general, anybody in those 9th-12th positions is totally flexible and could end up anywhere in those four spots, or find themselves on council.

You might be right about Rose placing ahead of Murray. But she could be all the way down in 14th spot and still only be 150 to 200 votes off from snatching a council seat. Who knows. It's going to depend on turnout, both overall and by neighbourhood.

In general, while most voters do have an affinity for Rose (myself included) and believe she'd be a good voice on council, I'm more going off the fact that she has a smallish base constituency to draw from, is seen by those who know her and her politics as one of the more radically left-wing voices that could populate the council, and, in general, does not have the name recognition or, obviously, the incumbency factor that other traditional lefty councillors have or have had.

At the end of the day, the majority of the left wouldn't tick next to her name given the choice between her and a more moderate candidate, given that many of her views and her activist history could be seen as potentially not constructive in the council environment.

To her detriment, she also doesn't seem to get the NDP machine's assistance in her campaigns, given that she is more of a grassroots lefty (and this goes back to her natural constituency as well), and not really a kosher NDP-style candidate (even though she herself is definitely in the BC NDP camp; for example, she was a Horgan supporter during the leadership race earlier this year).

For Isitt, it's going to be whether his messaging has indeed sunk his ship. He chose a very confusing slogan this time around and I haven't seen or heard much of him around town; he's probably banking on the hope he will get enough name recognition to carry him onto council. I just don't see him getting any higher than 11th or 12th.

#32 bluefox

bluefox

ex-Victorian

• 697 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 05:31 PM

Can we please keep specific candidate discussions in the appropriate threads. Posts will not be transferred only deleted. Further transgressions may result in a posting ban for one week.

Isn't this thread a general discussion about election predictions? How exactly can we avoid talking about specific candidates?

#33 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 06:01 PM

^i was just thinking the same thing. And isn't a week ban a tad extreme?

#34 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 07:40 PM

OK, how about a ban until the election is over?
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#35 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 08:39 PM

Isn't this thread a general discussion about election predictions? How exactly can we avoid talking about specific candidates?

This thread is for your prediction of who is going to win all together not to discuss the pros and cons of a specific candidate. If you wish to do that that there is a thread for each one.

Do all of you really want me to put those posts back here? :rolleyes:

And no a week is not extreme for what amounts to spamming the site across multiple threads. Spammers generally get banned outright.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#36 Barrett r Blackwood

Barrett r Blackwood

Barrett

• 91 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 08:53 PM

I have been trying very hard not to make any predictions. Many people have asked me if I think the candidate that I am supporting for city council has a chance at a seat.
The most I can predict is that Robin Kimpton will do better than some expect.
I hope that this post is in sink with this thread.

#37 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 09:14 PM

^^Must have missed the spamming.

#38 Barrett r Blackwood

Barrett r Blackwood

Barrett

• 91 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 10:59 PM

It seems Barrett that despite doing well in the poll and the 1700+ views Mr Kimpton has here on VV the "old boys" are not willing to admit that perhaps he may just get elected to council. All I can say is that if in fact most of "the Dean team" gets back in they had better hope Mr Kimpton does as well because Victoria is going to need him.

As of 11pm friday night 2496 views, far more interest than any of the council candidates. Even more views than the candidates for mayor. Can anyone explain this to me.

#39 Lover Fighter

Lover Fighter
  • 653 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 03:49 PM

My prediction is that all incumbents will be reelected, mayor and council. I see Coleman more likely to be bumped off than Lucas. If this happens, the most likely new candidates are Hall, Helps, or Isitt. But of course, it's extremely hard to gauge when only 15,000 voters elect 9 people.

#40 J Douglas

J Douglas
  • 150 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 04:00 PM

My prediction:

Mayor-

Fortin

Council-

Young, Madoff, Hunter, Thornton-Joe, Luton, Alto, Lucas, Isitt.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users