- - - - -

2011 Victoria Election Results Thread

• Please log in to reply
189 replies to this topic

#61 bcradio

bcradio
  • 121 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 09:13 PM

It's going to be an interesting few years.

Uh oh. Could this be what happens when you vote for someone because they have a bright orange sign without actually knowing their political platform?

#62 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 09:13 PM

Uh oh. Could this be what happens when you vote for someone because they have a bright orange sign without actually knowing their political platform?

Fortin's karma.

#63 Barra

Barra
  • 592 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 09:21 PM

I have no idea how Issit made it to #1 in Victoria, but glad to see Hunter, Luton and Lucas out, and Lisa Helps at #3 - good for her!!
Pieta VanDyke

#64 McCharms

McCharms
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by bcradio
Time to stop bringing in the union aspect to it... They may have helped fund campaigns but they don't do much to get out the vote. Honestly, they don't.. It's not the 1980's anymore.
The vast majority of voters have no idea who to vote for. When their employer or union endorses a candidate, they have little reason to vote for anyone else unless they spend the time necessary to learn more about all candidates than a tag line printed in the TC.
My union gave Fortin a lot of money but never once told me which candidates are "friendly" towards my union or who they endorse. In fact, I really had to go out of my way to discover that they had even given him money. A good percentage of my coworkers don't vote and I certainly didn't vote for Fortin. Unions aren't what they were, in fact, they seem to be pseudo-illegal these days. You're welcome for the weekend, maternity leave, and many other things that were nice while they lasted.

#65 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 09:41 PM

Welcome to Vibrant Victoria McCharms.

#66 McCharms

McCharms
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 09:50 PM

ok, I misspoke/wrote. Apparently, my union didn't give money directly this time, it was paying to cover people's shifts as they manned the phones for Fortin's campaign. Either way, it didn't have my support, or prior awareness.

#67 Yippy Ki A

Yippy Ki A
  • 38 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 09:50 PM

Unbelievable! If they weren't so damaging to the taxpayers and financial well being of the city, electing fortin, madoff, isitt, and alto would be laughable. If you can't beat em, time to move.

#68 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 09:51 PM

CFAX is reporting that Isitt wants to rename Victoria and redraw the boundaries of the city? What's that all about?

Sound leadership. Everybody knows the big problem in Victoria has always been the name of the place. Fix it and all will be well.

And those boundaries never were quite right. Add a little bit here, trim a little bit there... voila!

Victorians deserve it.

#69 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 09:52 PM

ok, I misspoke/wrote. Apparently, my union didn't give money directly this time, it was paying to cover people's shifts as they manned the phones for Fortin's campaign. Either way, it didn't have my support, or prior awareness.

Still that is utter ********.

Who else gets union wages to man campaign phones?!:mad::mad::mad:

I'm a union member!

#70 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 19 November 2011 - 09:59 PM

I can't afford to live in Victoria anymore. I'm moving somewhere more reasonable, like the Uplands.

#71 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 10:02 PM

I can't afford to live in Victoria anymore. I'm moving somewhere more reasonable, like the Uplands.

Plus we deal with so much crap here our sewage is 30% more anyway.

#72 bcradio

bcradio
  • 121 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 10:03 PM

I'm curious what David Cubberley's next move is....

#73 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 10:09 PM

Re: Luton, so the cyclists' lobby was powerful enough to push through the biggest infrastructure project in the city's history, but not powerful enough to get him re-elected?

A cynic might say he had outlived his usefulness.

#74 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 10:12 PM

Geoff Young M 8940 YES
Charlayne Thornton-Joe F 8803 YES
Lisa Helps F 8523 YES
Ben Isitt M 8419 YES
Marianne Alto F 7493 YES
Pam Madoff F 7321 YES
Shellie Gudgeon F 6904 YES
Christopher Coleman M M 6793 YES

John Luton M 6343
Lynn Hunter F 6101
Philippe Lucas M 5719
Rose Henry F 4866
Sukhi Lalli M 3993
Linda McGrew F 3923
Aaron Hall M 2777
John Turner C M 2014
Robin Kimpton M 1519
Saul Andersen M 1055
Sean Murray M 757
Jon Valentine M 682

http://www.elections...tionresults.asp

#75 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 10:14 PM

Dean Fortin M 10080 YES

Paul Brown M 4229
Steve Filipovic M 2206
David Shebib M 161

#76 Lover Fighter

Lover Fighter
  • 653 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 10:14 PM

I asked before, but I'll ask again. Have three sitting councillors ever been ousted from a Greater Victoria council in recent times? Especially surprising since there was no controversy that separated them from the rest.

#77 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 10:19 PM

Victorians deserve it.

Yup. Only 27% voted, apparently. Same as 2008. (And yet Fortin got somewhere close to 3000 votes MORE than last time? I don't get it.)
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#78 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 10:20 PM

Re: Luton, so the cyclists' lobby was powerful enough to push through the biggest infrastructure project in the city's history, but not powerful enough to get him re-elected?

A cynic might say he had outlived his usefulness.

I'm inclined to say people didn't vote against him as much as they voted for the newcomers and Luton was pushed out. They voted against Lucas, however. Occupy Victoria likely had a negative impact. Perhaps unfair, as he was trying to defuse confrontation.

#79 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 10:22 PM

I asked before, but I'll ask again. Have three sitting councillors ever been ousted from a Greater Victoria council in recent times? Especially surprising since there was no controversy that separated them from the rest.

Mass schizophrenia?
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#80 Lover Fighter

Lover Fighter
  • 653 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 10:23 PM

So much of municipal elections runs on name recognition, and I wonder how much Gudgeon's front page ads in the T.C. this week helped.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users