Photo

Affordable housing in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
3507 replies to this topic

#2501 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 16 February 2022 - 03:59 PM

Their operations appeared to have grown substantially since the NDP took over power. Huge surge in BC Housing activity since the Liberals stepped aside.

I guess the question now is, was BCH under-funded during the Liberal era, making its current spending look relatively huge by comparison?

Additional funds went to BC Housing in recent years, in part, for capital expenses rather than operating expenses:  BC Housing was allocated funding to purchase/build multiple buildings.  The Auditor General is specifically looking into one component of the capital program:  the purchase of 9 hotels during the pandemic to house people who are homeless and/or at risk of homelessness.

The funding that seems *most* under question in the new audit ordered by Horgan's government might be more related to operational expenses and/or relationships with the non-profit sector.  The wording is vague- they are trying to determine if BC Housing is capable of handling its 'increased mandate'... one-off capital programs like the hotel purchases don't seem to fall under the scope of this new audit, and are presumably being looked at separately by the auditor general.

• Mike K. and newbie_01 like this

#2502 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,015 posts

Posted 16 February 2022 - 04:05 PM

I have made many comments here about the prices BC Housing has paid for certain purchases. Hopefully the AG will open that hood.

• Mike K., Nparker and Victoria Watcher like this

#2503 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 17 February 2022 - 05:07 AM

I have once again completed the tiresome process to prove that I own and occupy my home in the City of Victoria as my principal residence. I ****ing hate having to do this every year for no good reason. Can someone offer up irrefutable evidence how the "speculation tax" has increased the supply of affordable housing in BC?

Relatedly, I will vote for the party that promises to abolish this ridiculous tax (and not replace it with something else) if elected.

i think there has been the opposite effect in most places in BC in the last few years... i can't speak for everywhere but smaller towns, and large cities all over BC has seen a huge spike in the cost of housing which has only spun into a huge spike in the cost of rent "from all those greedy landlords" <-according to many tenants)

maybe if we get rid of the tax we things might settle back down again like how it was before... its typical government every time they try to "fix" something they only end up making it worse they seem to forget to do the large pro and con list and look ahead to see what the ripple effects might be before implementing thing (hey just like our council!!)

• Nparker and Barrrister like this

#2504 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,087 posts

Posted 21 February 2022 - 02:46 PM

B.C. could remove some housing approval powers from local governments, minister says

David Eby, who is also the attorney general, said the government is considering introducing legislation and regulatory changes this fall that could take the final decision-making authority for housing permit approvals out of the hands of local governments.

https://www.timescol...er-says-5086497

“The bottom line is that municipalities are not approving enough housing for our population growth,” Eby said in an interview. “I think it’s quite possible that we’re going to need to be more prescriptive. One thing is clear is that the status quo is not acceptable.”

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 21 February 2022 - 02:47 PM.

• newbie_01 likes this

#2505 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,568 posts

Posted 21 February 2022 - 03:03 PM

Could this scenario entail a doing away with amenity contributions, which have served as a de-fecto tax on new projects without being labelled a tax? Traditionally, development has worked with a developer pushing the (usually artificially low) boundaries, council gets amenities in exchange for their support, and it’s a win-win.

But if your projects are now encouraged to conform to the OCP, will society now lose the benefit of incentivizing amenities in exchange for higher densities and heights?

And what if staff don’t support your proposal, but the public and some members of council do? There have been scenarios where that was the case.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2506 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,788 posts

Posted 21 February 2022 - 04:20 PM

B.C. could remove some housing approval powers from local governments, minister says...

I am not sure how I feel about this, especially in light of the current and growing trend of government overreach into our lives.

#2507 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 01 March 2022 - 01:13 PM

The auditor general has determined that the province paid below market value for the hotels they purchased in Vancouver and Victoria:

https://www.timescol...general-5114669

#2508 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,788 posts

Posted 01 March 2022 - 01:51 PM

The auditor general has determined that the province paid below market value for the hotels they purchased in Vancouver and Victoria:...

I am stunned at this finding - not.  :whyme:

#2509 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,087 posts

Posted 01 March 2022 - 01:54 PM

The B.C. government has purchased the Capital City Center Hotel in Victoria for approximately $25 million to use as temporary housing for nearly 100 people, the province announced Wednesday.

https://vancouverisl...elter-1.5406290

^ so look at least year value too.    .    .    .    .    .    .    .    .    .    .    .    ^^^^^

In 2011 it sold for $6.2M.

https://www.pressrea...283854389897475

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 01 March 2022 - 01:59 PM.

#2510 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,087 posts

Posted 01 March 2022 - 02:00 PM

Province buys Paul’s Motor Inn to house homeless

The province of B.C. has bought the 75-room Paul’s Motor Inn on Douglas Street for about $15 million to add to its stock of temporary supportive housing for people without homes in Victoria. It’s the second Victoria hotel B.C.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 01 March 2022 - 02:00 PM.

#2511 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,507 posts

Posted 01 March 2022 - 02:09 PM

"Amid the chaos of Canadian politics in recent months, the Senate proposed and is now in the second reading of Bill S-233. The bill, if passed, would require the Minister of Finance to develop a national system to provide “guaranteed livable basic income” to everyone in Canada over the age of 17."

https://www.parl.ca/...3/first-reading

#2512 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,788 posts

Posted 01 March 2022 - 02:30 PM

So the plan is for no one to ever have to work again. Jeez we live in ****ed up times.

• LJ, Barrrister and Victoria Watcher like this

#2513 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,507 posts

Posted 01 March 2022 - 02:34 PM

OXJdm.jpg

#2514 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 01 March 2022 - 04:33 PM

I am he as you are he as you are me
And we are all together

- the beatles

All for one and one for all!

- the three musketeers

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs

- ben isitt

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#2515 newbie_01

newbie_01
  • 76 posts

Posted 01 March 2022 - 10:21 PM

pfft

Edited by newbie_01, 01 March 2022 - 10:21 PM.

#2516 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,788 posts

Posted 02 March 2022 - 10:34 AM

Another local housing bargain.

fixer-upper.png

#2517 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,087 posts

Posted 02 March 2022 - 10:46 AM

Context please, that could be on 100 acres.

#2518 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,568 posts

Posted 02 March 2022 - 10:52 AM

Or pre-zoned for 75-units.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2519 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,788 posts

Posted 02 March 2022 - 11:11 AM

Context please, that could be on 100 acres.

Or pre-zoned for 75-units.

Geez. Does no one have a sense of humour anymore?

• Barrrister likes this

#2520 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,568 posts

Posted 02 March 2022 - 11:44 AM

These misleading posts just make the lives of anyone involved in real-estate more difficult by dumping more fuel onto the affordability fire.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users