188 replies to this topic

#61 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 06:07 PM

Thanks for keeping us updated, Carl :)

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#62 CarlonCouncil

CarlonCouncil
  • 267 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:07 PM

Peninsula Chamber of Commerce
Business Retention & Expansion (BR&E) Initiative

We had a presentation from Doug Taylor at the Peninsula Chamber of Commerce last night on their BR&E initiative for the Saanich Peninsula. I have summarized the objectives of the initiative above under my summary from the recent Tri-Muni meeting held last month,

Last night was the pitch, as the Chamber is seeking $25K/yr from each of the three municipalities’ for the next three years in support of this initiative.

I spoke in support of the request in principle based on the following rationale:
· It is time for CS to make a financial investment in its business community
· We have all spoken of our interest to support the revitalization of the Keating Business Park, this is a huge step in that direction as a BR&E plan will aid us in our policy and decision making going forward to ensure that our efforts are truly supporting the businesses in the park that are already there and whom have been our customers and employers for many years already
· But in my mind it doesn’t stop there as an investment in the BR&E plan will benefit all businesses in CS including Saanichton and Brentwood as it can drive economic development in the whole of the Peninsula including all of the CS business areas of Keating, Saanichton and Brentwood
· In 2011, the CS business community invested approx $2.6M of their earnings into CS through taxes.
· I believe it is appropriate that we as a District invest $25K/yr to give the business community of CS the best possible opportunities to remain financially sustainable

The response around the table was generally favourable as Council would like to see the proposal come back to a Finance Committee meeting with more details. As I mentioned last night, I think it would be beneficial for the Chamber to provide some case study information of what other communities across Canada have seen in the way of a return on investment (ROI) for dollars spent on BR&E. I asked what would happen if only one or two of the municipalities signed on, and Doug informed us that the initiative would still go ahead for those districts.

I look forward to this project coming forward for further discussion in the Fall.

Carl

Carl I. Jensen
Central Saanich Councillor

Twitter - @carloncouncil
E - carl.jensen@csaanich.ca
T - 250.858.6532
Facebook - http://facebook.com/carlforcouncil

#63 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:02 AM

I believe it is appropriate that we as a District invest $25K/yr to give the business community of CS the best possible opportunities to remain financially sustainable

I like this. From $2.6MM in annual tax revenues this makes sense.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#64 CarlonCouncil

CarlonCouncil
  • 267 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 11:09 PM

Welcome to Summer in Central Saanich!! Sure we may be known for a little old agricultural fair that happens on the Labour Day weekend, http://www.saanichfair.ca/, that has been known to draw a few…thousand people!! But here are a few other things you might want to check out this Summer in Central Saanich:
· Brentwood Bay Music in the Park – Every Wednesday night throughout the summer, free entertainment in downtown Brentwood Bay, http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Brentwood-Bays-Music-in-the-Bay/292898714056576
· Peninsula Country Market – Check out this great market happening every Saturday during the summer from 9-1 at the Saanich Fairgrounds, http://www.peninsulacountrymarket.ca/
· Saanichton Picnic on the Green – Saturday August 18th - http://www.saanichtonvillage.ca/
· Butchart Gardens Fireworks – Great fireworks display every Saturday night through the summer can be checked out from within the gardens but for those looking to save a dollar, lots of vantage points around Brentwood Bay, http://www.butchartgardens.com/entertainment/fireworks/fireworks.html
· Yellow Wolf Pow Wow – Hosted by the Tsartlip First nations on the BC Day long weekend

Carl

Carl I. Jensen

Twitter - @carloncouncil
T - 250.858.6532

#65 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 06:28 AM

Carl

I see the construction site to the east of the Co-Op gas at West Saanich and Keating is being prepared. Could this be for the New Central Saanich Fire Hall?

If it is...

I know this has been in the planning long before you obtained your seat on council, but do you think this is taxpayer money well spent at this time?

#66 CarlonCouncil

CarlonCouncil
  • 267 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 07:56 PM

I know this has been in the planning long before you obtained your seat on council, but do you think this is taxpayer money well spent at this time?

@Sparky - Yes, you are correct, construction has begun on the new firehall. To answer your question, yes, I feel that this was an appropriate use of taxpayer dollars for the following reasons:
  • A more centrally located main firehall will provide a quicker emergency response to both the most residentially dense portion of the district in Brentwood and also to the Keating Business Park
  • Having sat on the Peninsula Recreation Commission for the last 7 years, I have witnessed the price of waiting on a major capital investment as we saw the price of the Panorama Rec Centre expansion go from a $6-8M project to do all phases to what in the end was an $11M project for just one phase of the project with the pool expansion leaving the remaining phases out
  • We as a municipality cannot afford to sit back and allow our infrastructure to deteriorate without making substantial capital upgrades - it is believed that a major earthquake in our region could result in a collapse of the current main firehall which would cripple the ability of the fire department to provide an adequate response in a time where it would be needed the most by our residents
  • I believe in a fire training centre in the new location because I do not feel that our volunteer firefighters should have to spend any additional time away from their families travelling to fire training centres outside of their community to save costs on the firehall
  • An architectural design from another firehall is being used to save design costs
  • I believe this new firehall is being built while being sensitive to total project costs, but at the same time it is being built to ensure that it meets the firefighting needs of the district for many years to come
Sparky, that covers the reasons that I am supporting the use of taxpayer dollars on this capital project.

Carl

Carl I. Jensen

Twitter - @carloncouncil
T - 250.858.6532

#67 CarlonCouncil

CarlonCouncil
  • 267 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 10:17 PM

The Council summer schedule continues! There are a couple of items on my Council agenda for this week. Tonight I was excited to attend the first meeting of the CS Communications Sub-Committee. We had a great discussion around the table on how to broaden the District’s Communications Strategy in an attempt to engage with a greater number of CS residents. Webcasting of the Council meetings will be a step in that direction, and we are also looking at additional methods outside of what has been done historically such as the CS site and the Peninsula News Review. These methods will continue to be used; however we believe there are opportunities that should be explored such as social media, community announcement email subscriptions, etc. Stay tuned as we continue to develop some of these ideas.

Secondly, I have the opportunity to do something I have never done before; I will be attending the official launch party for Central Saanich author, Tricia Dower’s new book: Stony River! http://tricia-dower.blogspot.ca/ I look forward to the evening as Tricia has mentioned that there will be a number of local artists in attendance. I look forward to the opportunity to meet more of the residents of Central Saanich and the Saanich Peninsula.

Next week on Monday August 13th, there will be a Special (Open) Council Meeting at the Hall at 7:00pm and then no meetings until September 4th.

Carl

Carl I. Jensen

Twitter - @carloncouncil
T - 250.858.6532

#68 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 06:17 AM

As always, thank you for keeping us updated, Carl!

Know it all.

#69 CarlonCouncil

CarlonCouncil
  • 267 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:15 PM

@Mike K - Happy to keep the updates flowing, even during the summer while council business has slowed a little. Back in Chambers Monday night for an Open Council meeting, stay tuned for the links to the agenda and background materials once they are on the CS site.

Carl

Carl I. Jensen

Twitter - @carloncouncil
T - 250.858.6532

#70 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 07:16 PM

Carl, what is your take on the Woodwynn farm situation?
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#71 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 07:34 PM

^ Great question.

#72 CarlonCouncil

CarlonCouncil
  • 267 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:18 PM

Carl, what is your take on the Woodwynn farm situation?

@LJ - Thanks for the question. In terms of Woodwynn Farms, at this point all I can say is that it is currently a bylaw enforcement issue being managed by the District. As a result, I cannot provide any comment at this time.

Carl

Carl I. Jensen

Twitter - @carloncouncil
T - 250.858.6532

#73 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:44 PM

I saw the tents on the way to the shooting range on Sunday. They were too far from the road to take a pic. This activity is located too far from anybody to be an issue.

#74 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 08:03 PM

@LJ - Thanks for the question. In terms of Woodwynn Farms, at this point all I can say is that it is currently a bylaw enforcement issue being managed by the District. As a result, I cannot provide any comment at this time.

Carl

Ahh, already converted to politician speak I see. That didn't take long.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#75 CarlonCouncil

CarlonCouncil
  • 267 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:43 PM

Ahh, already converted to politician speak I see. That didn't take long.

@LJ - Sorry to disappoint you. I would like to think that my brief time on VV and some of my frank discussions with the VV Faithful have earned some credibility in my intention to engage in a dialogue between myself and the VV community.

Don't count me out just yet! What's your next question?

Carl

Carl I. Jensen

Twitter - @carloncouncil
T - 250.858.6532

#76 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 03:36 AM

^ What is the wording of the bylaw that is the causing the infraction? I would have thought that a farm could house farm workers.

#77 CarlonCouncil

CarlonCouncil
  • 267 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 10:12 PM

^ What is the wording of the bylaw that is the causing the infraction? I would have thought that a farm could house farm workers.

@Sparky - At a high level, farm worker housing is governed by the Agricultural Land Commission (ALC) as specified within the ALC Act:
Rules for use and subdivision of agricultural land reserve

18 Unless permitted by this Act, the regulations or the terms imposed in an order of the commission,
(a) a local government, a first nation government or an authority, or a board or other agency established by a local government, a first nation government or an authority, or a person or agency that enters into an agreement under the Local Services Act may not Amended [2004-Jul-22 Agricultural Land Commission Amendment Act, S.B.C. 2004 c. 32]
(i) permit non-farm use of agricultural land or permit a building to be erected on the land except for farm use, or
(ii) approve more than one residence on a parcel of land unless the additional residences are necessary for farm use, and
(b) an approving officer under the Land Title Act, the Local Government Act or the Strata Property Act or a person who exercises the powers of an approving officer under any other Act may not approve a subdivision of agricultural land.

Within this guideline my understanding is that there is an opportunity to apply at the District level for a permit to allow Temporary Farmworker Housing provided the situation meets specific requirements. If this permit is approved at the District level I am not certain if that permit still has to be approved by the ALC as well. Since joining Council, I have not been through this process for temporary farmer housing.

Carl

Carl I. Jensen

Twitter - @carloncouncil
T - 250.858.6532

#78 CarlonCouncil

CarlonCouncil
  • 267 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:30 PM

[quote=CarlonCouncil;195701
Within this guideline my understanding is that there is an opportunity to apply at the District level for a permit to allow Temporary Farmworker Housing provided the situation meets specific requirements. If this permit is approved at the District level I am not certain if that permit still has to be approved by the ALC as well. Since joining Council, I have not been through this process for temporary farmer housing.

Carl[/quote]

I need to correct this last paragraph above as I was incorrect. I have misunderstood what is currently available in the way of Temporary Accommodations on farms. At present, there is the ability to apply to the DCS for a tourist camping permit which would allow up to 10 sites for a max of 30 days.

My understanding now is that the last Council has looked at a bylaw that would contemplate the provision of accommodations for farm worker accommodations. But that bylaw to date has only been contemplated.

I apologize for the incorrect info last post, I realized my error too late to correct my post.

Carl

Carl I. Jensen

Twitter - @carloncouncil
T - 250.858.6532

#79 CarlonCouncil

CarlonCouncil
  • 267 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:35 AM

Having spent the last 13 years on the Saanich Peninsula, there have been a number of annual events that my family and I have become fans of such as the Sidney Sparkles Santa Parade as well as the Sidney Days Canada Day Parade. Up until recently, I was unaware of the group behind these events as well as a number of local community events, the Peninsula Celebrations Society. This group is made up of volunteers from the Peninsula as well as liaisons from each of the three municipal Councils.

I was appointed in December as the District of Central Saanich’s Council Liaison representative, and at the time, I had no idea just how much this group does for our community!! In addition to the parades I have mentioned above, they are also responsible for running the Sidney Summer Sounds free concert series throughout the summer which brings great live acts to the Sidney Bandstand for free afternoon concerts. Speaking of which, the last concert of the summer is today at 2:00pm and it features The Timebenders. If you have never been, you are in for a treat, take down some folding chairs or a blanket and get ready to enjoy a great free concert!! Although, donations towards the PCS are always greatly appreciated, so don’t forget to bring some change or a few dollars to “Feed the Pig” as it is wheeled around as their motto at these concerts is, “If you like the gig, feed the pig!” I had the opportunity to help out a few weeks ago for the Shaky Ground gig. So check that out today at 2 in Sidney.

But there is also the Easter Egg Hunt, the Polar Bear Swim, and a number of other events held at the same time as both parades. I wanted to take a moment to thank all of the Directors of the PCS for their hard work throughout the year in putting on these great events and if you have not been to one of these events, you should check one out soon!!

For more information, please check out their site: http://www.peninsulacelebrations.ca/

Carl

Carl I. Jensen

Twitter - @carloncouncil
T - 250.858.6532

#80 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 12:41 PM

Thanks for that, Carl. I too was unaware of the group.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users