Photo

Selkirk Boat Squatters

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#1 snaptee

snaptee
  • 53 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:50 PM

Does anyone know what, if anything, is being done about the squatters living in boats along the Selkirk waterway? Dealing with the same situation in False Creek was painful, are the authorities running into the same issues or are they ignoring it?

#2 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:02 PM

Same issues. I call this place Victoria's "waterworld" after Miami's gritty version by the same name.

The City maintains that the water is federal jurisdiction so their hands are tied. Meanwhile the guys living on these boats make refuse runs regularly and dump garbage into garbage bins that taxpayers are on the hook to maintain.

Check out this boat that was anchored on Monday close enough to shore so the owner could work on it during low tide.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 05:45 PM

That boat likely doesn't have any power, as the propeller shaft and rudder will be in sad shape if it is sitting like that on the rocks.

If it is abandoned on the shore, it might be up for grabs if somebody were to salvage it.

#4 pseudotsuga

pseudotsuga
  • 287 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:28 PM

I've been wondering about this for a while - it seems like a great spot to anchor... so why have the boats only appeared relatively recently? Was there enforcement before or had parking there not occurred to anyone?

I like seeing the boats there, too bad it is apparently being abused.

#5 Robb

Robb
  • 188 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:56 PM

I've been wondering about this for a while - it seems like a great spot to anchor... so why have the boats only appeared relatively recently? Was there enforcement before or had parking there not occurred to anyone?

Too difficult getting the shopping cart off your anchor? :P

#6 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 11:11 PM

Note the date on this TC story excerpt:

Boat owners accused of fouling Gorge water
Chung, Susan. Times - Colonist 31 May 1997

About 25 boats have been anchored near the Selkirk trestle in the last month. Some have been there for years, but many are recent arrivals as people discover they can moor for free because no one has the jurisdiction to kick them out.

All three levels of government regulate the Gorge waterway.

Ottawa has control of the water and water surface through the Victoria harbormaster.

The province controls the waterway floor north of the Selkirk trestle, while the federal government has control south of the trestle.

Three municipalities control the public access lands bordering the water.

The situation is further muddied as the federal government passes its authority to local authorities.

It appears to me that Ottawa wouldn't care if Victoria kicked out the boats but Victoria is playing the Federal jurisdiction card as a way of not having to deal with the messy and costly hassle of evicting them.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#7 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:37 AM

This problem is at least three decades old now. I recall all sorts of weird stuff happening on those boats (crimes, explosions, etc) throughout the years.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:51 AM

This problem is at least three decades old now. I recall all sorts of weird stuff happening on those boats (crimes, explosions, etc) throughout the years.

I don't think you could get away with living on a boat anchored in Vancouver's harbours.

#9 ZGsta

ZGsta
  • 573 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:53 AM

Going paddling or kayaking through there, I've seen some pretty skeezy looking dudes on some boats that I can't believe are able to float.

#10 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 01:41 PM

This Google Maps satellite image shows about 15 boats. Notice how there are boats tied up together.

Know it all.

#11 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,088 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 02:23 PM

#12 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,233 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 02:41 PM

Fo shizzle with the drizzle Sparky. You're bad.

#13 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,088 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 02:52 PM

:)

#14 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 02 March 2012 - 04:00 PM

This is a problem up and down the coast. Saanich inlet is littered with dozens of sinking hulks. Cowichan Bay is full as well.

An interesting quirk of old maritime law, and I am not certain how this applies in Canada now, these ships are all abandoned and therefore without legal owners and anyone has the right to salvage them.

I am going to look into this a bit more, it would be interesting if these boats were all fair game for people to claim.

#15 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 05:22 PM

'Ship raiders' raise garbage stink, attack Gorge Waterway boaters
http://www.saanichne.../138598234.html
By Erin McCracken - Victoria News
February 02, 2012 1:00 PM

Calling it reminiscent of the movie Master and Commander, Victoria police responded on Tuesday (Jan. 31) at 5:18 p.m. to reports of two armed "ship raiders" attacking two men aboard a large vessel moored in the Gorge Waterway near Banfield Park and the Selkirk Trestle.

I don't live too far away and have been pretty amazed at the number and condition of these vessels.

#16 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 05:26 PM

I think this was my favorite. ;)

#17 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,329 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 01:32 PM

I think this was my favorite. ;)

I run there regularly and I've always liked that one and wondered what the story was behind it :)

#18 pseudotsuga

pseudotsuga
  • 287 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 04:30 PM

Note the date on this TC story excerpt

Huh, interesting. Maybe they come in waves (sorry). Or perhaps I just didn't have my eyes open 3-4 years ago. Some of them are definitely a bit of an eyesore at the moment.

#19 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 06:20 PM

This is a problem up and down the coast. Saanich inlet is littered with dozens of sinking hulks. Cowichan Bay is full as well.

An interesting quirk of old maritime law, and I am not certain how this applies in Canada now, these ships are all abandoned and therefore without legal owners and anyone has the right to salvage them.

I am going to look into this a bit more, it would be interesting if these boats were all fair game for people to claim.

Its not quite that simple. I've been told you have to post notices that you intend to seek claims, look up the last known owner of the boat and send copies of your notice to them as well. Its a lot of work if there is little value to salvage.

#20 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,088 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 08:17 AM

While some municipalities and cities acknowledge that the regulations governing use of the water are the jurisdiction of provincial and federal governments, some do not.

Esquimalt is one such municipality that not only takes it upon themselves to decide what is allowable on the water, but also what is not allowable.

If a person owns waterfront property, has obtained a foreshore lease, built a dock, and parks his boat there, he is not allowed to build a floating structure around it to keep the rain out.

Or so they think.

The following are three marine bylaws taken from the municipal web page.

Perhaps Esquimalt and Victoria should get together and compare legal opinions.

One of them is wrong.

http://www.esquimalt...ngBylaw2008.pdf

62. MARINE RESIDENTIAL [M-3]
The intent of this Zone is to accommodate water based facilities on Water Lots adjacent to
residential zoned properties.
(1) Permitted Uses
The following Uses and no others are permitted:
(a) Pleasure Boat Moorage
(2) Prohibited Uses
(a) No commercial or industrial activity on a Boat Moorage Facility
(b) Floating Homes and Floating Boat Shelters
© Liveaboards
(d) The mooring of more than two [2] boats
(3) Siting Requirements
(a) All Boat Moorage must be located within the boundaries of a Water Lot.
(b) No section of a Boat Moorage shall exceed a width of 3 metres
PART 5 - 87

63. MARINE NAVIGATION [M-4]
The intent of this Zone is to accommodate the navigation of commercial and recreational
boats.
(1) Permitted Uses
(a) Navigation of boats
(b) Navigational aids installed by the Authority Having Jurisdiction
(2) Prohibited Uses
(a) Boat Moorage
(b) Anchoring buoys
© Permanent boat anchorage
PART 5 - 88

63. MARINE SMALL DOCK [M-5]
The intent of this Zone is to accommodate small private docks on Water Lots adjacent to
residential properties.
(1) Permitted Uses
(a) Boat Moorage Facility for small pleasure boats.
(2) Prohibited Uses
(a) Commercial or industrial activity
(b) Floating Homes and Floating Boat Shelters
© Liveaboards
(d) The mooring of more than two small boats
(e) Accessory Buildings
(3) Siting Requirements
(a) All Boat Moorage must be located within the boundaries of the Water Lot.
(4) Maximum Size
(a) No section of a Boat Moorage ramp shall exceed a width of 1.5 metres.
(b) The combined length of a Boat Moorage Facility [wharf, ramp, landing and
dock], measured from the shoreline, shall not be more than 21 metres.
© The area of a dock or float shall not be greater than 18.5 square metres in
area.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users