Selkirk Boat Squatters

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#81 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 04:02 PM

Prior to my recent post of June 15th there had only been two posts on this thread in a year. Seems we have much to say but have not addressed my post of one week ago.

My concern on the 15th and today, is the potential for a fire on the boats rafted together. A fire would burn through any anchor lines and the current or the wind could take that mess into the nearby Selkirk Trestle.

If you want to see what a fire can do to creosoted timbers check out what happened to the Myra Canyon historic trestles a few years ago.

Our trestle is a major cycling route into the city. If we were to loose that structure due to a fire, it might never be rebuilt, especially in its present form.

By the way, I wonder how many of those boats have the mandatory holding tanks to prevent sewage from entering the harbour.

The olny bridge in the Victoria area I can think of that was ever closed due to a fire is the one on Belmont Rd that leads into Belmont park next to the Colwood Corner Petro Can. It caught fire in 1973 or 74 and the Government didnt want to repair the damaged creosote so they but up barriers to keep cars off but it was still ok for pedestrains. They had a by pass that was just as easy to get there in via Ocean Blvrd

The Selkirk trestle already had a major fire on it in 1996 and it survived so not buying that argument. I took pics of that fire taht hang in the Main Fire Hall just happens to get there before the fire boat got there you can see the picture just inside the main office door at the Yates Hall

Your fire theory can be used on just about anything.

A car on a car lot catches fire and all the cars next to it do as well.

Any of the wood framed apartment buildings in the city can catch fire due to careless smoking and voila the whole building is gone and the obne next to it

Also your argument about holding tanks doesnt hold much weight when considering the Gorge is littered with outfalls from Portage inlet to the ocean..outfalls that transpost oily water,raod grime catch basin stuff and sewer water from houses. So soon you forget about the leaking Oil tank in the yard of teh house on Adelaide Ave that leached into the gorge.

I didnt see any oil slicks near the boats either.

I walked in Banfield park today and there are no overloaded garbage cans. The only can I found is one of those ones that is 6 feet deep and buried with a very small opening for dumping into it.

Also I did not see one single turd in the water however I did see litter along the trail and even on the trestle. Go Figure.

Fear mongering .The sky is falling.

#82 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 11:09 PM

Well the whole point of the sewage system is to take the sewage away from humans. Poop floating around a intensely used recreational area is not cool and not comparable to poop out in the sea where the local life actually quite enjoys it. But to say there's no difference between them tossing big ol' turds off the side of their boat and someone flushing their toilet is just silly.

The once polluted Gorge was cleaned up years ago to the point where you could swim in it again. The nearby rowing club is one of the intensely used areas you mention, and the harbour ferries are active from Westbay to the Selkirk Trestle. Let's follow the regulations and keep the waters clean for us and the tourists.

Vessel Pollution and Dangerous Chemicals Regulations (SOR/2012-69)
http://laws.justice....28.html#docCont

#83 kenjh

kenjh
  • 310 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 06:05 AM

more goose poop out there then human ..play nice guy's ..

#84 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 06:34 AM

and it all adds up. if there's too much poop we can't stop the geese but we can stop the humans ;)

#85 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 08:18 AM

We didn't need multi-million dollar homeless shelters 100 years ago because if you were down on your luck then you'd build a tin shack in an out-of-the-way place on the edge of town or live on an old boat on the water. We've sanitized the city and in the process created the lucrative homeless industry.

#86 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 08:25 AM

We didn't need multi-million dollar homeless shelters 100 years ago because if you were down on your luck then you'd build a tin shack in an out-of-the-way place on the edge of town or live on an old boat on the water. We've sanitized the city and in the process created the lucrative homeless industry.

:bow: :thumbsup:

#87 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,502 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 July 2013 - 03:03 PM

^for starters they are dumping their refuse into municipal garbage cans which are not meant to be used as refuse dumps. A coffee cup, yes, a dozen bags of garbage, no. The City, on the tax payers dime, must then send a crew to collect the copious amounts of garbage strewn around the bins almost immediately as opposed to when their regularly scheduled refuse collection would take them there.

Perfectly understandable frustration. I also regularly see people driving up to public garbage cans (beach, park, wherever) and dumping a couple bags into the bin.

Perhaps a hole no bigger than a large coffee cup should be secured to the lid so people don't empty all the garbage from their cars into the bin.

I also see this in drive-thrus. I don't know why Tim Hortons installed garbage cans for drive-thru customers to empty household garbage into.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#88 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:18 AM

By the way, I wonder how many of those boats have the mandatory holding tanks to prevent sewage from entering the harbour.

Holding tanks are now required but they are allowed to discharge them in the Gorge

#89 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 08:15 AM

New Gorge waterway rules rock the boat

Victoria is pushing ahead with bylaw changes to prohibit overnight anchoring in the Gorge waterway despite some councillors’ concerns that the move will eliminate recreational boating options.

The city has been working to find a way to deal with about a dozen boats, some derelict, anchored just northwest of the Selkirk Trestle off Banfield Park

http://www.timescolo...-boat-1.1204423

IMG_6826.jpg

#90 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,502 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 July 2014 - 09:25 AM

So they just move further up into Saanich's area? 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#91 aastra

aastra
  • 20,570 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 10:34 AM

Comment below the article:

Vancouver completely solved this problem by providing free anchoring permits for two weeks in summer, 3 weeks spring fall and winter. They even provide docks where the city can be accessed (although I'd want to lock my dinghy pretty securely around there). The City gets the wonderful benefits of visiting boaters, who often spend a great deal of money. Boaters with little cash get free access to prime waterfront in one of the best cities in the world. Vancouver's huge derelict boater problem was thus easily solved.

This sounds awesome! The squatters obey the terms of a permit-based system to the letter and then move on their way to Alaska or wherever else when the permits expire. Problem solved. So simple.

#92 aastra

aastra
  • 20,570 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 11:22 AM

So exactly how do communities in San Francisco Bay or Florida deal with this issue? It seems to be as murky elsewhere as it is in Victoria:

http://sanfrancisco....bandoned-boats/

http://www.eastbayex...ent?oid=3151316

Apparently in September, 2013 a few dozen boat squatters near the Jack London Aquatic Park in Oakland were given eviction notices? Does anyone here know what came of that?

http://en.squat.net/...-face-eviction/

San Diego had a big problem 30 years ago:

http://articles.lati..._port-officials

So what's it like there now?

Edited by aastra, 13 July 2014 - 11:27 AM.

#93 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,003 posts

Posted 14 August 2022 - 11:54 AM

Sunken boat creates spill in San Juans, concern for resident orcas

49-foot boat goes down west of Sunset Point, near Sidney, with about 9,800 litres of diesel and oil on board

https://www.timescol...t-orcas-5695687

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 14 August 2022 - 11:54 AM.

#94 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 14 August 2022 - 11:58 AM

Thanks truckers.

#95 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,003 posts

Posted 14 August 2022 - 12:06 PM

The coast guard said all agencies are “prepared to deploy authorized deterrents.”

Because orcas are acoustic animals, NOAA said using loud or annoying sounds is one way to keep the whales away from an area contaminated with oil.

Some of the methods that will likely be used if the orcas get too close include low-level helicopter flights to ward them away, or dipping long metal pipes into the water and banging them with hammers.

Banging the whales with hammers seems a bit extreme.

#96 aastra

aastra
  • 20,570 posts

Posted 14 August 2022 - 12:24 PM

...orcas are acoustic animals...

I'm certainly no marine biologist but I'm pretty sure orcas are physical animals.

...methods that will likely be used if the orcas get too close include low-level helicopter flights...

If this news story is supposed to be a cross-promotion for Jaws 2 then I'd say it's a few years too late.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#97 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,003 posts

Posted 14 August 2022 - 01:55 PM

CBC story:

https://www.cbc.ca/n...sland-1.6551026

No mention of hammering the whales.

#98 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 15 August 2022 - 07:48 AM

Morning update: Unified Command crews continued monitoring the spill throughout the evening. A Coast Guard operated drone is planning to launch later this morning to collect additional imagery. As a reminder there is a 1,000 yard safety zone around all responding dive boats.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users