Selkirk Boat Squatters

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#41 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 08:56 AM

This city is for those who have a job and money. If you dont have that you will be harrassed to no end by those who sit above the less fortunate on the ladder of social status.

But that's the thing, these folks are not being harassed, and from what I've learned by speaking to several over the years is they have regular jobs. What's happening here is they've found a loophole in the system and are taking advantage of it.

I disagree that all of these individuals are disenfranchised or societal outcasts. They all have boats (!) and are living literally on the doorstep of downtown Victoria. If they were societal recluses they would be out on the far reaches of Sprout Lake.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#42 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 09:02 AM

Now don't get me wrong, I personally do not care that these boats are there, but I don't think we need to necessarily play the pity card here and pretend that these individuals represent something that they do not. Certainly some of the "boat" parties I've seen (and heard) on those boats have made me realize things aren't all that bad at the Gorge Waterway Yacht Club ;)

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#43 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 09:05 AM

If something isn't done there will most likely be more and more and more and more boats down there over the years. Free rent? Count me in!

#44 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 09:05 AM

I wouldnt call it a loop hole. It is no mans land. It is not owned nor is it part of the City of Victoria.
If you had a boat and wanted to live on it in Brentwood bay or in Cowichan Bay or 20 nautical miles off shore that is OK

Person A owns a million dollar house in Vicwest and has all the toys in his home and pays lots of taxes that is thier choice.

Person B decides that they do not want to be in debt and do not need to have a bunch of stuff to show how successful they are and choose to live on a boat where it is 100% legal ...thier choice

Person C has nothing but finds an abandonded boat and moors it in selkirk and lives for free which suits them because they dont have much income. Great choice for them

Why is it that people need to spend so much time looking at what their neighbor is doing.

Maybe the guy on the boat doent like it that person A runs their lawnmower every Tuesday morning because its loud.

Its always the well off complaining about the poor and that s what I think this boils down too.
My guess is that people on welfare or lower incomes living on the gorge rd side in rental apartments are not complaining at all about what they see out their windows.

#45 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 09:12 AM

...and person D decides to rig up a gas line to heat their boat and blows himself up in the process.

Know it all.

#46 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 09:51 AM

Yep just like the crackheads in View Towers with their propane bottle. or the Construction site over at cloverdale where they left a leaking propane bottle in an enclosed space with the potential of killing those in the immediate area.

Look lets just agree to disagree. I say that they are doing nothing illegal and the city has no jursidiction over them. if the City which seems to be cash poor wants to take on the responsibilty then let tem go for it along with all the liabilities that will come with it. Maybe they can fit that in with their to-do list after the Bridge is built.
;)

#47 kenjh

kenjh
  • 310 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 02:30 PM

having been a liveaboard ..and knowing several ...the gorge is not a first choice ..but given a choice you will do what you need to do to survive ...some found the boat community better then expected ..many work together to keep safe and help out others ,,something I seldom see in other neighbourhoods ..I for one am glad the city has not been able to destroy a safe haven for the few that have found some safety in an sometimes cruel and heartless city

#48 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 03:21 PM

I'm happy to see that there are others in this site who will stand up for those in our society who by choice or not do not live the way that others think they should this city kick marginalized people to the curb in many ways

#49 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,786 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 04:28 PM

I know people are going to shower me with hate but...

I really like the fact that there is this boat community operating outside the rules. It is something that makes the city unique.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#50 LJ

LJ
  • 12,685 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 06:46 PM

I know people are going to shower me with hate but...

I really like the fact that there is this boat community operating outside the rules. It is something that makes the city unique.

As unique as every other city with a waterway.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#51 LJ

LJ
  • 12,685 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 06:50 PM

Its always the well off complaining about the poor and that s what I think this boils down too.

Really? Always?

I seem to recall something called "Occupy" something or other, G8 protesters etc. etc.

At least the "well off" as you call them, call city council instead of trying to sink the boats or set them on fire.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#52 aastra

aastra
  • 20,570 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 08:29 PM

As unique as every other city with a waterway.

"Squatters on water a growing problem"

#53 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 10:32 PM

Yellowknife

Sausalito

Brooklyn, NY

England

etc, etc...

Here's a history of Vancouver squatting on land and sea. It brings up a good point: the white man has been squatting on the Gorge (and the rest of Canada) for generations Why crack down on the latest white men?

#54 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 10:32 AM

20 boats

#55 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 11:29 AM

Sure looks peaceful and quaint

Where are all the social misfits and outcasts of society?
Where are the piles of garbage
Where is the smoke from the fires to heàt the boats
Where are all the turds that are apparently flushed into the water
Where are all the long haired freaks with their wine and beer swilling

What? None of this is here?
How can this be ?
The Nimbys didn't make all of that up
Or did they????
Hmmm

#56 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 11:38 AM

The piles of garbage are at the garbage cans in the park (while everyone else in the city pays for disposal)

The turds that are flushed into the water are well, in the water.

I can go photograph those if you want ;)

#57 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 11:52 AM

How can this be ?
Or did they????
Hmmm

Really?

Know it all.

#58 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 02:44 PM

Strange, out of all the recent posts there is only one person referring to the boaters as social misfits, outcasts and long haired freaks. :confused:

#59 Gipper

Gipper
  • 312 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 03:42 PM

How can this be ?
Or did they????
Hmmm

Weren't you just complaining about the unfairness of it all with respect to some paramedics parked backwards in a previous thread? Your crusade for righteousness is rather selective.

#60 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 03:53 PM

Weren't you just complaining about the unfairness of it all with respect to some paramedics parked backwards in a previous thread? Your crusade for righteousness is rather selective.

You dont like it when I repost some terms that he public has used in regard to these people who want to live on boats?

I stand by these people 100% as I said before it is only the people with money an dtheir expensive homes taht bad mouth the boaters lifestyle.

Maybe you can explain what it is I have written that bothers you.
My position has not changed at all let them stay.
I just find it ironic taht the phots shows nothing about what the complaining is all about.
If you dont like the way they live then turn your heads

The ambulance was parked not backwards but on the wrong side of the road facing the wrong way and not due to an emergency call but because the driver was having coffee across the street.

How can you even compare this to the boaters who are not breaking any laws??

Wow here Ill explain my point so it is in easy to understand terms.....People comaplining about all the mess around teh boaters and all teh pollution etc etc etc but the picture shows an idillic scene I am ony asking where all the mess is these nimbys blah blah blah about

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users