BUILT
The Janion
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: Store Street at Pandora Avenue
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 7
Condo units: (studio/bachelor, loft, 2BR)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
The Janion development includes the full heritage restoration of the historic Janion Hotel, built in 1891, and... (view full profile)
Learn more about the Janion on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] Janion Building redevelopment | 7-storeys | Built/renovated - completed in 2016

Condo Commercial

• Please log in to reply
2679 replies to this topic

#1621 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,778 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 01:07 PM

Interesting imagery but let's hope it is not an invitation to tagging.

My thought is a blank wall would be a bigger invitation to tagging.

#1622 perceptionchangeseverything

perceptionchangeseverything
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 01:10 PM

Do you think they'll add any graphics/signage to the new section, as a tie-in to the heritage building?

EDIT - not sure if I even like the idea of that. Opinions? Will they? Do you think they should?

The mural will be only on that particular wall. 
The mural is the scene of the building frontage that is now the parking lot, and the hope is that the artistic element will discourage taggers.

• VicHockeyFan, Nparker and JanionGuy like this

#1623 JanionGuy

JanionGuy
  • 772 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 02:46 PM

Saw this while out at lunch just now:

Here is the original photo that i believe that imagery comes from, plus a photo from the 1950s with R.C. Janion removed.

R.C.Janion_LR.jpg

R.C.Janion_2.jpg

• VicHockeyFan, Nparker, Chris City and 3 others like this

#1624 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 02:59 PM

^ Nice find!

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1625 perceptionchangeseverything

perceptionchangeseverything
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 03:16 PM

Correct, that's the photo!

#1626 Gmanheman

Gmanheman
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 03:18 PM

How would I post a pic to this forum for you guys to look at?

#1627 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 03:29 PM

Put the pic on your computer then ad a post and follow instructions...it actually quite easy

#1628 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 03:30 PM

If the photo is on another website right click it save the url and post it in a message on the board

#1629 Gmanheman

Gmanheman
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 03:34 PM

Regarding lights above the wall beds. Story is this: there are two pot lights above the bed, but the city prohibits them from operating as they're a fire hazard when the bed is up. Reliance is supposedly working on a solution (switch/sensor etc) that will go in sometime later.
  • Janion Fan likes this

#1630 Gmanheman

Gmanheman
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 03:46 PM

Do you guys think this is the lobby's finished flooring?:

Attached Images

• IMG_2893.jpg

• Janion Fan likes this

#1631 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 03:57 PM

^ Yes.  It's probably period style.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1632 JanionGuy

JanionGuy
  • 772 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 03:59 PM

When i saw the floor tiles i was very happy, i think they look great.  Also did you see the marble squares/grout at the commercial entrances on Store Street?  I dont have photos, but again, very interesting.

• Janion Fan likes this

#1633 JanionGuy

JanionGuy
  • 772 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 04:01 PM

Also of note are exposed concrete features which appear throughout the building interior.

#1634 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 04:07 PM

Also of note are exposed concrete features which appear throughout the building interior.

Which is the part I hate.  It's so uninspired.  It makes it look like a parking garage.

#1635 JanionGuy

JanionGuy
  • 772 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 04:12 PM

Which is the part I hate.  It's so uninspired.  It makes it look like a parking garage.

I'm indifferent to the concrete. Easy to paint if the new strata decides to.

#1636 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 04:26 PM

Regarding lights above the wall beds. Story is this: there are two pot lights above the bed, but the city prohibits them from operating as they're a fire hazard when the bed is up. Reliance is supposedly working on a solution (switch/sensor etc) that will go in sometime later.

putting in led light bulbs would be the simple fix as they don't generate heat

#1637 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 01 November 2016 - 04:42 PM

putting in led light bulbs would be the simple fix as they don't generate heat

Until someone screws in a halogen bulb.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#1638 Janion Fan

Janion Fan
  • 240 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 06:21 PM

Thanks SO much for shedding some light...or not...on this. Fingers crossed they work it out.

#1639 JanionGuy

JanionGuy
  • 772 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 06:35 PM

Here's an interesting shot.  Shows the Janion and R.C. Janion building from the west, across the waterway, with quite a nice Steam Paddle Wheeler parked at Mr. Janion's dock on Store Street.

JanionFromTheWest.jpg

• Nparker and Janion Fan like this

#1640 JanionGuy

JanionGuy
  • 772 posts

Posted 01 November 2016 - 10:05 PM

Has anybody here has seen this one before? A nice view of the Janion from what is now the patio of Ocean Pointe Resort. This is early 1890s, you can tell from the number of chimneys. There's a train just exiting over the bridge (top left). And for some reason i can't find any further information on the large smoke stack in front of the Janion. There must have been something going on down there but this is one of the only photos i can find with such a tall smoke stack.  The dog on the bottom right is obviously enjoying the view. And a steamer is in port at the Northern Junk.

fromSongees.jpg

• Janion Fan likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users