BUILT
The Janion
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: Store Street at Pandora Avenue
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 7
Condo units: (studio/bachelor, loft, 2BR)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
The Janion development includes the full heritage restoration of the historic Janion Hotel, built in 1891, and... (view full profile)
Learn more about the Janion on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] Janion Building redevelopment | 7-storeys | Built/renovated - completed in 2016

Condo Commercial

• Please log in to reply
2679 replies to this topic

#1661 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 08:58 AM

Perhaps it's a scam?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1662 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 09:06 AM

Perhaps it's a scam?

The guy has posted before (at $1200), I recognize his style.  No, he's just pretty gregarious.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1663 JanionGuy

JanionGuy
  • 772 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 09:10 AM

I recognize his style. 

Ya, i recognize his style too...

Salesman.jpg

• Nparker likes this

#1664 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 09:31 AM

I rolled my eyes so hard after reading that letter to the TC, I think I might have pulled a muscle.

We're seriously going to evaluate everything that the restored and reinvigorated Janion is, and everything that the restored and reinvigorated Janion (and HBC & New England Hotel) represent re: a new direction for Victoria and the abandonment of that whole "It's not worth saving" attitude... but then we're going to dismiss 99.98% of this magnificent and innovative project because of some incredibly minor (some might say irrelevant) detail? Give me a break.

If that writer ever learns about the JSB project he's going to absolutely flip his lid.

• Nparker, Greg, JanionGuy and 1 other like this

#1665 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 10:40 AM

post-3771-0-15531100-1478130706.jpg

I'm curious why that second window is not a window?  Oh wait, your suite must be the top one next to the garage entrance extension.  What was once a window is now a wall between your suite and the extension suite - and they probably have the same walled up window.  In any case it's a good place to hang a piece of art and the open ceiling should make it easier to add a custom spot light.

post-1484-0-68099100-1477688400.jpg

Edited by Gary H, 03 November 2016 - 10:42 AM.

#1666 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 10:45 AM

Yeah, I wasn't expecting that ceiling...or the exposed brick! But I think I'll like both once I get used to the idea

How much height is up in the ceiling?  If you were enterprizing, could you add some platform up there where you could throw a few items up for storage?  In any event, it looks like a neat plus.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1667 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,778 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 10:46 AM

...In any case it's a good place to hang a piece of art... 

Or better yet, commission a local artist to paint something directly onto the wall inside the former window space. I think that'd be cool.

• Szeven and tedward like this

#1668 Janionian

Janionian
  • 45 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 11:45 AM

How much height is up in the ceiling?  If you were enterprizing, could you add some platform up there where you could throw a few items up for storage?  In any event, it looks like a neat plus.

Unfortunately they didn't have a ladder available for me to get a better look up there, but I think it's at least 2 feet, maybe 3. It's definitely neat.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#1669 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 12:14 PM

I'd be a bit surprised if many can get $1400 for their suites... Dominion Rocket starts at $795.

This is the same guy who had the ad 2 weeks ago asking people to let him know what to rent ir for the guy who included the outside patio thing on the Sq footage
http://victoria.crai...5856971911.html

#1670 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 02:03 PM

The Mosaic has ceiling storage; aluminum racks as seen here:

a0bff1f852abd94de8d1e44a8b79b1c6.jpeg

• Nparker likes this

#1671 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 02:12 PM

Those are monkey bars.

They also have that huge beam that will insure to you have a permanent concussion.  

#1672 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 02:25 PM

Those are monkey bars.

They also have that huge beam that will insure to you have a permanent concussion.  

I'd build a bed/hammock on that beam somehow.

#1673 JanionGuy

JanionGuy
  • 772 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 03:47 PM

I got to see my unit today! I'm a little disappointed with the window/wall/shelf placement (it looks like a mistake), but otherwise really pleased. Pics: http://imgur.com/gallery/1dhNw

Thanks for the photos.  You could probably toss a mattress up on the rafters and rent it out on airbnb!

Now, in all seriousness, I'd put a mirror on that covered up window.  It will make the space look and feel alot larger (and brighter!)

#1674 Janion Fan

Janion Fan
  • 240 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 07:23 PM

I'm curious why that second window is not a window?  Oh wait, your suite must be the top one next to the garage entrance extension.  What was once a window is now a wall between your suite and the extension suite - and they probably have the same walled up window.  In any case it's a good place to hang a piece of art and the open ceiling should make it easier to add a custom spot light.

post-1484-0-68099100-1477688400.jpg

I think it must actually be the bottom one, next to the garage entrance? There's no french doors in their apartment and, it looks as if the only one without is the one on the bottom. I'm going to hazard a guess that this is the coveted $110,000 price point unit.

#1675 Janion Fan

Janion Fan
  • 240 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 07:26 PM

Oops, sorry, I get it now JanionGuy! The French doors belong to the second unit in from the top. It's very cleverly done, isn't it? To anyone looking from the outside it would seem as if each of those three across has two windows with one french door between them. Sorry, I should have known better than to even think to question you. You are the Janion Master.

• Nparker likes this

#1676 JanionGuy

JanionGuy
  • 772 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 07:33 PM

Oops, sorry, I get it now JanionGuy! The French doors belong to the second unit in from the top. It's very cleverly done, isn't it? To anyone looking from the outside it would seem as if each of those three across has two windows with one french door between them. Sorry, I should have known better than to even think to question you. You are the Janion Master.

Ah, now you're getting it, Fan of Janion (otherwise known as JF).  The south side really illustrates the point.  Here's a map to the units that i posted last year but will repost  (for some folks that haven't seen this yet). You'd think each condo has a balcony, but not so.

South Side Unit Numbers.jpg

Edited by JanionGuy, 03 November 2016 - 07:34 PM.

• VicHockeyFan and Janion Fan like this

#1677 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 08:11 PM

Can we call Janion fans "Fanions" for short? If so, it would be neat if a Janion fan named Jan starts posting here. We'd have Janion Fan and Fanion Jan on the same board.

• VicHockeyFan, Nparker, Mixed365 and 1 other like this

#1678 JanionGuy

JanionGuy
  • 772 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 08:39 PM

Can we call Janion fans "Fanions" for short? If so, it would be neat if a Janion fan named Jan starts posting here. We'd have Janion Fan and Fanion Jan on the same board.

It's already happened.  You just missed it.

POSTS.jpg

Edited by JanionGuy, 03 November 2016 - 08:52 PM.

• Mike K. and Mixed365 like this

#1679 Janionian

Janionian
  • 45 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 09:14 PM

Thanks for the photos.  You could probably toss a mattress up on the rafters and rent it out on airbnb!

Now, in all seriousness, I'd put a mirror on that covered up window.  It will make the space look and feel alot larger (and brighter!)

Haha :) (It does kinda make me wish it was an actual "loft" though) I hope other owners post some pictures too. It's been a long wait, and this last month feels like an eternity!! The interior pics that I've seen so far (and getting to see my unit) have been a real balm. 

I definitely plan on putting a large mirror in the space, but for the blocked window space, I'm thinking I might build some black shelving to fit into the opening. I think it would tie in well with the black window frame, and ceiling. 

#1680 JanionGuy

JanionGuy
  • 772 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 09:40 PM

I hope other owners post some pictures too.

I'm also surprised by the lack of interior photos after walk-throughs.  Thank you to those who have done so.

These are photos from a couple of floors in the new building.   We've already seen how wide the heritage hallways is, which is impressive with it's skylight.  The new building hallways are still roomy and feature directional lighting over each unit number.

Untitled-1.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg

• Janion Fan likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (1)