Victoria HarbourCats - Collegiate league at Royal Athletic Park

• Please log in to reply
677 replies to this topic

#561 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 07:47 PM

The HarbourCats will announce a Victoria hotstove event shortly that will likely feature Kelly Gruber and Gregg Zaun in early 2018.

gregg_zaun-baseballsspeakers.jpg

GettyImages-52233821.0.jpg

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 24 November 2017 - 07:49 PM.

• G-Man likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#562 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 02:18 PM

**Just announced on CFAX 1070AM with Joe Perkins, news unveiled by Brad Norris-Jones, Tess Sawkins and Andre Lachance

HarbourCats re-sign Eccles, Lopez
---------
Two key parts of 2017 team returning to Victoria for second season
PRESS RELEASE
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE – November 29, 2017

VICTORIA B.C. – Two of the more dynamic and memorable players from the fifth season of Victoria HarbourCats baseball are returning for another season.

Left-handed pitcher Claire Eccles, who became the first female to play in the West Coast League, and switch-hitting versatile outfielder Ethan Lopez have signed to play in Victoria for the 2018 campaign. Eccles, the ace of the Canadian women’s national team, and Lopez, a junior at the University of Hawaii, were both fan favourites and key parts that helped the team bond so closely and go on a run that nearly culminated in the HarbourCats’ first league championship, losing in Game 3 of the WCL final to the Corvallis Knights.

“A number of people learned about the West Coast League, the Victoria HarbourCats, and the level of baseball we play, because of the interest in Claire and what she accomplished in the summer of 2017 – it was a move that turned many heads, and brought in female fans of all ages,” said Jim Swanson, Managing Partner of the HarbourCats. “There were some people who thought we were nuts, too – and Claire proved them wrong. She handled things so well both on and off the field, with the support of great teammates, who had her back at every turn, even when coaches and players on other teams would snicker or make remarks.

“Claire’s signing was international news when we announced it in May. We know she’s excited to get another chance to prove she can compete at this level, and help us win.”

Eccles pitched in eight games, including two starts, and earned her first WCL win on June 29 against the Cowlitz Black Bears. She struck out three, walked seven, allowed 19 hits and had an 11.91 ERA in 11.1 innings pitched, with five earned runs in one-third of an inning of a July 7 game skewing that statistic (6.55 ERA without that game, which included a grand slam). Aside from her debut June 7 against Wenatchee, her most memorable moment might have been the three-up/three-down extra inning outing, with one strikeout, in a late-season home game against Kelowna. For trivia buffs, her first WCL strikeout was Yakima outfielder Tora Otsuka, who attends the University of San Diego.

Lopez, from Whittier, CA, played in 30 games and batted .216 with 11 RBIs and four stolen bases, providing plus-plus outfield defence. His enthusiastic personality – he became known as the Flyin Hawaiian for some of his catches -- made him a team leader for Head Coach Brian McRae’s team.

“Ethan was just getting warmed up for us when he had to leave for a period, but returned for the playoffs and really energized us,” said Swanson. “He had a crucial hit for us in that epic Game 1 that allowed us to have a chance in the late innings. His reads in the outfield, fearless going to the wall, was contagious. Ethan can also play almost anywhere in the infield, so he’s a valuable piece for B-Mac.”

24129786_1732117546807910_89806329726366

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#563 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 09:45 AM

quattro-blank-paper(2).jpg

FREE to enter the draw.  You could WIN this Claire Eccles game-used jersey.  It's a door prize at the 'Cats open house today.

PRIZES all day long at the HarbourCats office, just pop in and spin the wheel.

Tim Hortons truck there from 9am to 11am... It's the annual HarbourCats OPEN HOUSE, 12 straight hours, right at the team office.  8am right until 8pm tonight.

⚾ Tim Hortons Truck onsite from 9am-11am

⚾ Ticket specials, including Premium 10pks for $150

⚾ New merchandise, individual game tickets including fireworks games, Bark in the Park, Father's Day

⚾ Come talk some baseball!

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 30 November 2017 - 09:45 AM.

#564 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 01:12 PM

27332638_1803712296313788_17759031844877https://www.facebook...803712339647117

#565 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 03:38 AM

Wilson’s steps up to the plate for HarbourCats’ fans

#566 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 06:18 PM

partydeck_Mock3-970x547.jpg

Third Base Group Deck to Put Fans in Middle of Action in 2018
Strathcona Hotel-Rooftop Party Deck will provide unique viewing opportunities for fans.

Victoria, BC - Fresh off the announcement late last month of a new double-decker bus corporate group deck along the first baseline - The Wilson's Group Upper Deck Experience -  fans attending Victoria HarbourCats' baseball games in 2018 will now have a second, more casual group option to enjoy, as the HarbourCats will be adding a decked area down the third base line, large enough to support up to 100 people.

Located just beyond third base, down the left field foul line, and extending partially into foul territory, the Strathcona Hotel-Rooftop Party Deck will put fans right in the middle of the action and provide a unique view of the game.  Designed to be a casual space for mingling, socializing and watching baseball (think, big, backyard bash), the Strathcona Hotel-Rooftop Party Deck will accommodate 50-100 people.  The deck can be reserved on a ticket only basis, or fans can bundle in food and drink options from the HarbourCats fantastic food truck vendors, Floyd’s Diner and Molly’s Fish and Chips.  Prices (based on 50 people minimum, tickets only) begin at $1000 ($20 per person).

Mock-up of Strathcona Hotel-Rooftop Party Deck down third base line.

The HarbourCats are grateful to Grant Olson and the Strathcona Hotel and Rooftop Patio, the famous location with spectacular city views, for making this possible. Chinook Scaffolding will be erecting the deck, with HarbourCats assistant coach Troy Birtwistle, owner of TRB Construction, completing the work.

"With the double-decker bus along first base and now the group deck along the third base line, fans coming to games will have two very unique vantage points from which to watch a game," said HarbourCats Co-Owner and Managing Partner Jim Swanson.  "Fans on the Strathcona Hotel-Rooftop Party Deck will be just a short distance from third base and the opposing team's dugout and will feel like they are part of the action."

The Strathcona Hotel-Rooftop Party Deck will be sold primarily as a seating option for groups of 50 (minimum) up to 100, but may be opened for general admission seating for games where no group bookings, or partial group bookings are reserved. The deck will also have dedicated servers that can assist fans with their food and beverage purchases. Full fencing around the deck, and netting on the plate side, will keep people safe while also having them right in the action.

Both the Wilson's Group Upper Deck Experience and the Strathcona Hotel-Rooftop Party Deck supplement the HarbourCats regular group seating options, where groups of 20 or more can receive discounted pricing on either general admission or premium reserved seating, with the options of bundling meal and drink options with their seats. Regular group seating prices begin at just $11 each for general admission seats.

For more details on all HarbourCats ticketing options, including group, Upper Deck and Strathcona Hotel-Rooftop Party Deck options, please visit  harbourcats.com/tickets/ or contact chris@harbourcats.co 

HarbourCats add to coaching staff

The Victoria HarbourCats are also pleased to announce that Curtis Pelletier and John Schnaderbeck have been added to the coaching staff for the 2018 season, assisting Head Coach Brian McRae.

Pelletier, 37, is a Victoria product who played collegiately and pro as a catcher, and will concentrate on working with the team's catchers, focusing on their defensive game and handling the pitching staff. Pelletier batted .297 with a home run in 32 games for the Victoria Capitals of the short-lived Canadian Baseball League. The Spectrum grad attended Grayson County College in Texas.

Schnaderbeck, 53, from Vancouver, WA, will meet the team on selected road trips to assist McRae, Pelletier and the rest of the coaching staff (Troy Birtwistle, Jason Leone, Ian Sanderson, and former MLB infielder Todd Haney). Schnaderbeck was in the then-expansion Colorado Rockies system, and is very familiar with the West Coast League. He played college baseball at Southern Illinois University.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 10 April 2018 - 06:19 PM.

• 57WestHills likes this

#567 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 07:34 AM

Reminder that 100% of the proceeds of all merchandise purchases this week will go to the Humboldt Broncos for their needs. Office open Friday 10 AM to 6 PM. Stop in and purchase a shirt, hat, hoodie, seat cushion, etc. and help out for a good cause. 101-1814 Vancouver Street#HumboldtStrong #HarbourCatsForHumboldt

30656850_1877013298983687_25716341805510

#568 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 13 April 2018 - 02:28 PM

Yeah... I think now that there is $10,600,000 in the Gofundme account this is not really necessary. At some point it turns into pure marketing for the Harbourcats (or whoever) rather than a charitable act.

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#569 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 02:30 PM

$10,985,000.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 13 April 2018 - 02:31 PM.

• tedward likes this

#570 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 09:11 AM

Canadian Rockers Chilliwack Partner with Harbourcats for Post-Game Concert

Wilson's Group Stadium at Royal Athletic Park will be rocking with unique double-header, July 28th

The 2018 West Coast League schedule is gearing up to be one of the best in HarbourCats history, and it just got better, as the HarbourCats, in association with Forza Promotions, Atomique, and 100.3 The Q are pleased to announce Juno award-winning rock band Chilliwack LIVE in concert at The Wilson's Group Stadium at Royal Athletic Park on Saturday July 28th.

That day, the HarbourCats will face the Victoria Mavericks, originally scheduled for 6:35 PM, with first pitch now set for 1:00 PM. A special 5:00 PM short-set showcase of local artists Electric Sex Panther, OK Charlie and The Lost Boys will kick off the evening. Chilliwack will be taking the stage at approximately 7:00 PM for a 2-hour performance. The stage will be set up beyond the right field fence, toward the corner of Caledonia and Cook.

To thank the Victoria community and HarbourCats fans, team ownership has approved a special promotion where they are giving a free general admission baseball ticket to that game for every concert ticket purchased.

"We have the best fans in the league. When we started planning our 2018 season, I wanted to give our fans something extra to get excited about. I think we've accomplished that with this incredible event," said John Wilson, Vice President-Business of the HarbourCats and CEO of The Wilson's Group..

Fans can choose from 3 Chilliwack concert ticket options, ALL of which include a general admission ticket for the 1:00 pm baseball game:

$30 general admission ticket in the soccer grandstand;
$50 ticket on the field in front of the stage; and
$75 limited VIP seating

Fans can also choose to upgrade their general admission baseball ticket to Premium Reserved, Grandstand or Campbell Club Real Estate seats, subject to availability.

#571 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 05:00 PM

Men Without Hats Vocalist to Sing Opening Night Anthems

Ivan Doroschuk, leader of iconic Canadian 80s band, to perform on June 1

With exactly a month to go, this news should help PACK THE PARK on Home Opening Weekend at Wilson's Group Stadium at RAP.

Ivan Doroschuk, the lead singer, songwriter and founder of the iconic Canadian '80s band MEN WITHOUT HATS, will sing the anthems on Friday, June 1, when the Wenatchee AppleSox arrive to open the 2018 West Coast League season against the Victoria HarbourCats.

This is the sixth season in the WCL for the HarbourCats, a longevity record for a baseball franchise in the B.C. capital.

• Matt R. likes this

#572 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 06:06 AM

31753109_1896661220352228_52835330809323

#573 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 06:07 AM

31747929_1896661260352224_24862313564728

31819187_1896661287018888_64133282740043

#574 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 May 2018 - 01:49 PM

We're Giving Away a Funeral (and Will Package)

From the Victoria HarbourCats:

Life plans are important - Be prepared! Your loved ones will be grateful.

31895407_1898978026788527_22334716033902

On Wednesday, July 18 – fans at the Victoria HarbourCats game vs. the Corvallis Knights, a rematch of the 2017 WCL final series, will have a chance to win a funeral.

TONEFF FUNERAL SERVICES and H.W. WALLACE CREMATION SERVICE are providers of cremation and funeral service to the people of Vancouver Island, and are pleased to offer the draw winner a basic cremation package, which includes but not limited to the following – cremation service, cremation casket, and one original death certificate. This has a retail value of $2,500.

As well, do you have a will? As part of this, MARY S. McMANUS, a barrister/solicitor with the Stevenson Doell Law Corporation of Victoria, will provide a Will, Power of Attorney and Advanced Directive for Health Care -- worth $800 (excluding taxes and disbursements), helping the winner ensure their family is looked after for those days we all will eventually encounter.

Adding to the package, Adamek Financial will schedule a complimentary insurance and financial planning consultation, to assist with the dollars-and-cents aspects of planning for the future. Scott Grant, Senior Consultant for Adamek Financial – a company with corporate season tickets to HarbourCats games – will spend time with the draw winner.

“This is a way to bring awareness to making sure people plan their futures in a way that helps their family deal with something that is inevitable to us all,” said Jim Swanson, Managing Partner of the HarbourCats.

“My family encountered a tragic and unexpected death not long ago, and not having all these things looked after in advance caused the heartache to be even greater. We’re thankful to Eric Toneff of Toneff Funeral Services, to Mary McManus, and to Mike Adamek, Scott Grant and the team at Adamek for stepping forward to help get this message out.”

“Victoria is a great city, many people who move here to enjoy the twilight of their lives, and not everyone has put these plans in place. This is about awareness, and we hope this night leads to more people getting all their affairs in order.”

#575 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 08:38 AM

Here are some early shots of the new Strathcona Hotel Rooftop viewing deck being constructed at the park.  It's a stand-up party area that can be booked by groups, and it juts right out into the third base/left field foul area.

This is going to be a nice vantage.

You can get this feeling a bit at the park now in right field (not as close to the playing field obviously) but sometimes the sun can be right in your eyes in right.  This will be a fantastic addition.   Excited to see how this turns out.

32207760_1904577659560584_89996639708433

32207760_1904577659560584_89996639708433

32150818_1904577652893918_18544438963192

32187396_1904577632893920_41098220276474

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 10 May 2018 - 08:42 AM.

#576 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 09:49 PM

The Harbourcats let go one of their coaches today.

“Brian McRae, the team’s fourth Head Coach, will not return to the role he held for the 2017 and 2018 seasons, compiling a record of 56-52 overall and taking the team to within one victory of the WCL Championship in a playoff series against Corvallis in 2017. The HarbourCats terminated his contract Sunday.”

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#577 VictoriaHarbourCats

VictoriaHarbourCats
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 04:49 PM

Hi Gang!  Chris from the Victoria HarbourCats here!  Don't think we have ever officially been on this thread but now we are!  We are gearing up for our SEVENTH season in the West Coast League with our pre-season weekend at Wilson's Group Stadium at Royal Athletic Park beginning June 1-2 and our official home opening weekend on June 7-8-9 against the Corvallis Knights, with fireworks on June 8 and a bobble-head giveaway on Sunday the 9th.

We have led the league in attendance every year since 2013, with over 78,000 people coming to games in 2018.  We expect to keep that trend going in 2019 and will welcome our 400,000 fan plus, at some point during the year. I hope it will be one of you and that you will come check us out if you have never done so.

Our level of baseball is the best around with many of our players moving on to play pro-ball, including for example Victoria's own Nick Pivetta who played MLB with the Phillies the past two seasons.

Spread the word!  Please visit us on all our social media to stay up on all the details!

Web: www.harbourcats.com

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HarbourCats/

Twitter: https://twitter.com/HarbourCats

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/harbourcats/

Better yet, come by the office at 101-1814 Vancouver Street and say hello, grab tickets, merchandise, gift cards etc.

See you soon!

#YYJHarbourCats
#YourSummerLivesHere

Our schedule is attached as a JPEG image.calendar_schedule_2019.jpg

• Mike K. likes this

#578 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,042 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 02:52 PM

the team announced some type of a zipline attraction in the park during games this year.

#579 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 03:09 PM

Hopefully not for running the bases. That seems gimmicky to me.

#580 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,042 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 03:16 PM

it sounds like it ls for fans to zip from atop the stadium to the field. 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users