Photo

[Bicycles] Bike lanes and cycling infrastructure in Victoria and the south Island

• Please log in to reply
11042 replies to this topic

#5821 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 04:12 PM

78 year riders a day 😂 ... yeah ...

#5822 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 04:14 PM

78 year riders a day 😂 ... yeah ...

Sorry?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5823 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 04:18 PM

Sorry?

Haha I shouldn’t start drinking at 4pm?!?

TEST RIDERS A DAY I meant. I don’t think that bike store is nearly as influential as you think. They probably would be grateful for 78 rides a month, I bet!

#5824 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 04:25 PM

I heard the end of Helps on CFAX. As per usual, bulldozing through her opinion on everything. One caller reminded her of how she'd brushed him off over something in the past. Ain't that the truth.

I agree with the Cook St. folks. Close off the two lanes for a week so we can see. I've looked at Cook for over 35 years. Has Helps? It's extremely busy.

• Love the rock likes this

#5825 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 04:29 PM

I agree with the Cook St. folks. Close off the two lanes for a week so we can see. 

She says she ain't gonna do it, they will just computer model it.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#5826 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 04:32 PM

Gotta like computer modelling. Easy to work backwards from the result you want!

• Nparker and Love the rock like this

#5827 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,762 posts

It's irrelevant. She'll do whatever she intends to do regardless of any resident concerns or computer modelling results.

• Hotel Mike and Love the rock like this

#5828 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

TEST RIDERS A DAY I meant. I don’t think that bike store is nearly as influential as you think. They probably would be grateful for 78 rides a month, I bet!

Most definitely, but I made sure to mention that their presence there would contribute to the numbers but wouldn’t account for the entire rise.

Regardless, it’s an unknown amount but it most certainly makes an impact.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5829 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 12 January 2018 - 04:36 PM

That way regular citizens wont see the impact this will have and they can just forge ahead and tell them to suck it up like they did on Fort St which is a $hitshow

• Nparker likes this

#5830 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 05:00 PM

Regarding the counter once more, the immediate area saw an increase of 141-units of housing between late 2016 and mid-2017 (about 50 at Dockside, just under 100 at Railyards). Let’s say for the sake of argument that among those 141-units are 200 people.

We can certainly chalk up 10 people from that 200 as individuals who would cross the counter daily. Maybe it’s 20, or maybe it’s 30. We don’t know.

And that’s not taking into consideration the effect of more people living in downtown Victoria and along the Goose/Lochside who would be inclined to cycle to downtown or from downtown with or without a Pandora bicycle lane. All of these factors matter.

The GVCC could gain points if their analysis said something like so:

“We observed an increase in bicycles crossing the CRD counter between May and December of 2017. The increase was 9% over the same period of 2016. During the period in 2017, the new Pandora bike lane was opened.

While we can attribute some growth in cycling traffic at the counter as associated with the new bike lane, it is important to note residential density in the immediate area has recently increased by approximately 140-units and a bicycle retailer (also offering bicycle rentals) is operating adjacent to the counter. Their second year of business was in 2017.”
  • Nparker, sebberry and Midnightly like this

Know it all.

#5831 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 06:23 PM

Wow Seb that first graph makes it look like its grown by a hundred bazillion! amazing what a bit of creative graphing can create!

So a daily average of 1,700 or monthly average of 59,000. Compared to the prior year of approx 1560 per day or monthly 54,000. 140 trips per day or possibly an extra 70-80 people per day....let that sink in...an extra 70-80 people per day

Assuming most of these are round trip this is a daily average of 850. I wonder how many are commuting and how many in December compared to July and October?

Meanwhile Pandora at Blanshard gets 12,000 vehicles per day or 414,000 vehicle movements per month and with the work done this means traffic volumes has increased 50% per lane from 4,000 per lane per day to 6,000 per lane per day.....That makes sense...

September

IMG_7564.JPG

#5832 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 07:19 PM

And if she can't get the right result she can just say the computer was flawed.

• Nparker likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#5833 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 08:01 PM

I listened to a portion of the interview.  The question posed was to block off Cook to determine impact to car traffic.  She twisted the answer to indicate that the purpose was to determine effect/adoption of bicycle traffic.  That then led into safety of bicycles using these lanes in uncontrolled intersections and that led to a discussion about the city being liable if something happened to a bicyclist.  

Of course what I took away from the interview was impact and traffic congestion caused by the new bicycle lane was not to be measured or acknowledged.  My guess is that any additional car gridlock or loss of parking is a net gain for bicycle infrastructure as it will force people to walk and bike or stay away.  That is as much of the goal as is providing bike infrastructure.

Edited by On the Level, 12 January 2018 - 08:02 PM.

• Nparker and A Girl is No one like this

#5834 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,044 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 10:37 PM

Not a stretch to say that Trek Victoria, this location and the mothership on Catherine, are probably the most influential bike shops in Victoria. Many group rides leave from these locations and one of the owners, Troy Woodburn, was the lead mechanic for the Canadian Olympic team and has been to Giro and Tour more than a couple times with Canada’s elite riders, some of whom operate out of these shops.

I’ve been through a couple bikes from these awesome guys, and years ago bought a stubby Battaglin mountain bike from Troy when he just had Pro City Cycles (now Fry’s Bakery) and asked him what the framed yellow jersey on the wall was all about ...

http://www.timescolo...onomy-1.1455387

Matt.

Edited by Matt R., 12 January 2018 - 10:39 PM.

#5835 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 11:22 AM

No doubt it’s a busy bike shop... but for the same reason we don’t compare car dealerships putting more vehicles on the road on Douglas St I just don’t see the relevance. A busy bike place opened near a bike path and the bike path then had more traffic.... frankly I don’t think Trek is actually all that influential to traffic but that amazing cafe brings in the two wheel masses like crazy! As it should. Maybe I’ll head there now and trigger the counter :)
  • Matt R. likes this

#5836 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 05:07 PM

If they put the bike path on the west side of Cook, that’s the end for me. I have driven behind slow cars all the way down Blenkinsop heading into town. Finally, after Pandora, there is a chance to get by the annoyingly slow traffic on the inside one and make decent time to Southgate. If they take it away they will destroy Cook for drivers.
  • rjag and Bingo like this
Don't be so sure.:cool:

#5837 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 14 January 2018 - 06:43 PM

If they put the bike path on the west side of Cook, that’s the end for me. I have driven behind slow cars all the way down Blenkinsop heading into town. Finally, after Pandora, there is a chance to get by the annoyingly slow traffic on the inside one and make decent time to Southgate. If they take it away they will destroy Cook for drivers.

Imagine whats left of the 2 lanes on Shelbourne reduced to 1 lane....thats next 

#5838 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 09:18 PM

No doubt it’s a busy bike shop... but for the same reason we don’t compare car dealerships putting more vehicles on the road on Douglas St I just don’t see the relevance.

The relevance is the volume of cyclists at the Harbour Road CRD counter is very, very small compared to Douglas Street vehicle traffic.

And because it is so small, a little bit of residential density in the immediate area, a busy bicycle shop and a popular cafe (as you rightly point out) are enough to make a significant impact on bicycle traffic that is in no way related to the Pandora bike lanes.

The CRD's own bicycle counts show that the largest volume of bicycles entering/exiting the Johnson Street Bridge are via Wharf Street, not Pandora or Johnson (even combined). So it stands to reason that cyclists using Wharf Street in 2015 and 2016 would still be using Wharf Street in 2017, but unfortunately May 2017's count does not include Wharf Street and the CRD has not yet released the October count.

Know it all.

#5839 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 09:24 PM

I really think all the Johnson St bridge area counts are sort of irrelevant. The disruption thee has been very significant, obviously, and I think bikes more than cars have been thrown into detours and routes out of the norm... I suspect you're right about Wharf, but I don't think you will be right for most of 2018 when the alignment finally gets straightened out with the new bridge. 

#5840 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 06:52 AM

We live right by Cook (not on it) and to get home from downtown is very difficult. We used to drive up Rockland by the cathedral, now closed. We can't turn left on Burdett and Meares is one way. Fairfield is going out of our way, Fort was busy before. We usually turn right on Burdett by the new playground and do a U-turn to cross back over Quadra. I've seen other cars doing the same. Then when we get to Cook we need to turn off of it. Don't know how that's going to work. We're getting older, yes, we're lazy...we're not buying bikes to transport our purchases.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users