Photo

[Bicycles] Bike lanes and cycling infrastructure in Victoria and the south Island

• Please log in to reply
11042 replies to this topic

#6241 gstc84

gstc84
  • 521 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 02:51 PM

Looks like either a new fleet of U-Bikes has arrived, or there's a cyclist with intense OCD somewhere in the city. On Douglas across from the Conference Centre:

Attached Images

• IMG_1839.JPG

• Mike K. likes this

#6242 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 15 May 2018 - 02:55 PM

maybe its time to put a cap on how many of these are allowed, before we end up looking like China

• VicHockeyFan, Bingo, sdwright.vic and 2 others like this

#6243 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 05:55 PM

maybe its time to put a cap on how many of these are allowed, before we end up looking like China

Sure right after we do cars.
  • VicHockeyFan and punk cannonballer like this

#6244 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 05:57 PM

how often are cars left laying all over sidewalks and grass?

• VicHockeyFan, Matt R., Bingo and 3 others like this

#6245 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 15 May 2018 - 06:49 PM

Your goal is the Netherlands, no? These won't get us there, 99%* are not being ridden at any given time.

*usual (ps. VHF, you really need to bring your book of stats to the VV summer BBQ)

• VicHockeyFan and sdwright.vic like this

#6246 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 07:03 PM

I think the official book of stats is just:

99%*
  • VicHockeyFan likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#6247 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 07:05 PM

Yeah it is a bit odd, I see those bikes all over town but I have never seen anyone riding one.

• sdwright.vic and Love the rock like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#6248 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 09:03 PM

...I see those bikes all over town but I have never seen anyone riding one.

Funny, I saw someone riding one for the first time just a few days ago.

#6249 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 May 2018 - 09:48 PM

How do you know it was their first time?  Bit wobbly?

• aastra and On the Level like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#6250 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 May 2018 - 09:49 PM

Expect Modo to unveil plans to store their fleet on city boulevards any day now.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#6251 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 11:19 PM

Expect Modo to unveil plans to store their fleet on city boulevards any day now.

Or sidewalks and bike lanes, given the issue with parking.

#6252 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 16 May 2018 - 06:21 AM

I saw someone riding a bike on the stretch of Cook between Blenkinsop and Cloverdale for the first time in months!

She was riding on the road....🤔

#6253 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 06:28 AM

Is this a joke?  You are describing most of Langford and large parts of Saanich.  Somehow it's ok with cars.  The automotive repair shop by my place, at Burnside and Marigold, parks their customer's vehicles right on the sidewalk or in the marked bike lane, blocking safe routes to school.  A homeowner on Gladiola doesn't like to park in his driveway, so he (I assume it's a he) parks half in the road, half on the mostly new 2016 sidewalk created to improve safe routes to school.  

I know it will be hard for people on this forum to believe, but I am not anti-car.  I have a car and drive 10,000 km a year.  But, I think the fact that we can park on the grass, unpaved shoulders and even on part of sidewalks is totally absurd.  People cannot store other crap they own in this way, why are cars so special?  Get a bloody driveway and store your stuff on your own property.  At least Ubicycle got the municipal ok to use the space.

• shoeflack, nerka and Kungsberg like this

#6254 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 07:17 AM

Is this a joke?  You are describing most of Langford and large parts of Saanich.  Somehow it's ok with cars.  The automotive repair shop by my place, at Burnside and Marigold, parks their customer's vehicles right on the sidewalk or in the marked bike lane, blocking safe routes to school.  A homeowner on Gladiola doesn't like to park in his driveway, so he (I assume it's a he) parks half in the road, half on the mostly new 2016 sidewalk created to improve safe routes to school.  

I know it will be hard for people on this forum to believe, but I am not anti-car.  I have a car and drive 10,000 km a year.  But, I think the fact that we can park on the grass, unpaved shoulders and even on part of sidewalks is totally absurd.  People cannot store other crap they own in this way, why are cars so special?  Get a bloody driveway and store your stuff on your own property.  At least Ubicycle got the municipal ok to use the space.

I meant public/not their own grass. My dad reported people parked on sidewalks and suddenly they stop (not sure if they got towed or police just talked to them) so try that. I agree people parking on shoulders is a problem but no one seems to care about that. I didn't see anyone enforcing people parking on the should of Carey between about Marigold and Baker until they added a curb and made it a sidewalk. 

Edited by Cats4Hire, 16 May 2018 - 07:31 AM.

#6255 Wayne

Wayne
  • 765 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 07:37 AM

There has been a U-Bike out side the Beach house restaurant in Cordova Bay for a month now.

#6256 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 16 May 2018 - 07:39 AM

Converting at least one parking stall on each block would alleviate his problem

#6257 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 07:53 AM

But, I think the fact that we can park on the grass, unpaved shoulders and even on part of sidewalks is totally absurd.

Oh I'm with you there. Anyone who blocks the sidewalk with their vehicle deserves to have a visit from whatever authority dishes out tickets in their respective municipality. That's not alright.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6258 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 16 May 2018 - 07:58 AM

I'm sure Saanich bylaw/PD would visit these folks, as long as they get a complaint. If you're not sending in complaints to the folks who can actually do something about it (eg.re that auto repair place), you have little cause for complaint on an online forum.

#6259 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 945 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 08:19 AM

I don’t see a problem with the green bikes yet .
I can see them becoming an issue ,how many do we need .
I’ve never seen anyone ride them and I’ve taken a closer look a a few that were vandalized.
You’re right on cars illegally parked ,report them seriously this is our community ,our responsibility.
You’re also right that some people seem to think it’s ok to dump their stuff on municipal property it’s not no way no how .
Looks to me be already have issues with idiots with no proper property boundaries why add to it with an over abundance of unused bikes .
Langford cleaned up it can be done .
The green bikes are fine an over abundance of them is not .
Is it financially positive for GV to have theses .
Could we have our own Canadian made bikes to keep more money in Canada if it is a financially success.
Seems to irk me a twinge that it’s not a Canadian company supplying them .

#6260 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 16 May 2018 - 08:23 AM

I know it will be hard for people on this forum to believe, but I am not anti-car.

Attached Images

• 19y8ya.jpg

• Mike K., rjag and Matt R. like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users