Photo

[Bicycles] Bike lanes and cycling infrastructure in Victoria and the south Island

• Please log in to reply
11042 replies to this topic

#6261 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 09:04 AM

I know it will be hard for people on this forum to believe, but I am not anti-car.

Yeah you're right, online forums are only fun when we silo completely.  

#6262 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 09:18 AM

When we're preparing our list of bugbears and menaces I'm going to say an orderly arrangement of colourful bikes in an otherwise empty & useless space shouldn't rank too highly.

post-1695-0-58233400-1526424654.jpg

#6263 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 09:28 AM

The weirdest thing I've seen around those bikes was someone pedaling a bike with the tires from one of them, but the frame was definitely not a repaint of one of their frames.

I'm suspecting that if you take two front tires off, you can kitbash them to a different bike, likely under the tarp in the mobile chop-shop that I've seen set up on the corner of Pembroke and Vancouver occasionally.

#6264 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 09:54 AM

I've seen one green tire on another bike.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#6265 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,232 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 16 May 2018 - 10:08 AM

Those are solid rubber, right? Probably quite a upgrade for some folks, and never have to deal with flats from all the broken glass and blackberry thorns.

#6266 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 10:19 AM

^Yes, they are spongey solid rubber, perfect for a hobo bike. If citizens reported sightings of green rims (obvious stolen merchandise) they would become less desirable to thieves.

#6267 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 09:17 PM

I've seen one of those bicycles with its blocking mechanism removed.

A bunch of them were stationed at the Vic West community centre building this evening. Five or six all neatly arranged.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6268 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 07:15 AM

I saw one on Linden with one of the wheels totally gone.

#6269 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 10:10 AM

maybe its time to put a cap on how many of these are allowed, before we end up looking like China

Are these actually additional bikes or just replacements for the broken and stolen ones?

#6270 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 10:15 AM

Are these actually additional bikes or just replacements for the broken and stolen ones?

They are becoming an eyesore on every street corner...worse than the abandoned mattresses and chesterfields.

• Midnightly likes this

#6271 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 05:20 AM

Vancouver Street favoured over Cook Street for bike lanes

The proposed bike lanes on Cook Street should be shifted one block over to Vancouver Street to save money, protect trees and prevent traffic tie-ups, a Victoria city staff report says.

More:

http://www.timescolo...anes-1.23308390
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#6272 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 20 May 2018 - 06:46 AM

Vancouver Street favoured over Cook Street for bike lanes

The proposed bike lanes on Cook Street should be shifted one block over to Vancouver Street to save money, protect trees and prevent traffic tie-ups, a Victoria city staff report says.

More:

http://www.timescolo...anes-1.23308390

Some of her comments are hilarious and pretty bizarre

She said the fact that Vancouver Street doesn’t directly link with Cook Street Village can be managed by posting signs for cyclists.

Because folks don't know where Cook St Village is.. :banana: 

“When the original plan was made, it was at a very high level and as we get into detailed design, the rubber hits the road and we have to make [decisions] based on reality, not just on drawing lines on a map,

This would have been a useful guideline before the Fort St debacle, the closures at Beacon Hill Park etc

“I’m one for evidence-based decisions and when our staff looked at all of the considerations on Cook versus all of the considerations on Vancouver, I think Vancouver is a balanced decision. Maybe ideally Cook would be better, but we don’t live in the ideal world, we live in the real world.”

Every morning when Ms Helps and the rest of CoV wakes up they should repeat the above statement to themselves, perhaps it may sink in after a few decades...oh and when have they ever listened to 'staff'?

• Nparker, spanky123, Daveyboy and 2 others like this

#6273 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 07:01 AM

Vancouver Street was the location of the old abandoned sidewalk-based bike lanes from decades ago.

https://www.google.c...!7i13312!8i6656

Edited by Rob Randall, 20 May 2018 - 07:02 AM.

• Mike K. and rjag like this

#6274 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 May 2018 - 08:04 AM

“I’m one for evidence-based decisions and when our staff looked at all of the considerations on Cook versus all of the considerations on Vancouver, I think Vancouver is a balanced decision. Maybe ideally Cook would be better, but we don’t live in the ideal world, we live in the real world.”[/size]

Looking for evidence to support your theory after the fact doesn't count....
  • Nparker likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#6275 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 08:05 AM

Gosh, signs for cyclists!! What a brainwave.

#6276 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 08:20 AM

Why are we this deep into Cook St. designs and planning if it has been discovered now that the road is no good for it?

This deep:

http://www.victoria....toria-cook.html

NEXT STEPS:

• Report to Council - Spring 2018
  • Additional consultation and design work Spring - Summer 2018
  • Construction TBD

ENGAGEMENT ON COOK STREET

Throughout 2017 staff meet with business owners, employees, residents, commercial service providers, emergency service providers, BC Transit, community associations and business associations to get an understanding of the opportunities and constraints to improve mobility options for a diverse range of users on Wharf Street. Engagement phases were as follows:

• July to October 2017 – Early engagement with key stakeholders
  • September to December 2017 – Consultation on emerging design concepts

Staff continue to undertake technical analysis and develop concept alternatives based on the feedback from the consultation activities on the emerging concepts in 2017. Additional consultation on concept alternatives is planned for Spring 2018.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 20 May 2018 - 08:21 AM.

#6277 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 08:21 AM

Trees and traffic can be seen without making detailed drawings.

• Daveyboy likes this

#6278 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 08:55 AM

I am just happy they're seeing the illogic of the Cook st plan. Fine with Vancouver.

#6279 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 09:19 AM

Why are we this deep into Cook St. designs and planning if it has been discovered now that the road is no good for it?

In my opinion, what has happened is that City staff have determined that the budget that wasn't a budget still isn't a budget and, like fenders for the bridge, this is simply a stalling tactic to get past the election before we get hit with the real number. 

• rjag and Midnightly like this

#6280 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 20 May 2018 - 09:46 AM

^yup its an election year and they realised this is a lot more contentious with citizens so they'll delay until after and then cater to the vocal minorities afterwards

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users