Photo

[Bicycles] Bike lanes and cycling infrastructure in Victoria and the south Island

• Please log in to reply
11042 replies to this topic

#6281 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 06:23 AM

Rental electric scooters disrupt California's economy — its sidewalks, too

Innovative answer to congestion is also an annoying, potentially dangerous problem

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...ption-1.4670956

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 22 May 2018 - 06:23 AM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#6282 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 06:29 AM

Trees and traffic can be seen without making detailed drawings.

Maybe the game was just to get the extra $4.5M in gas tax revenue from the Province. 

#6283 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 06:48 AM

Are the Fort bike lanes done, or just a portion? Apparently there is an opening this Sunday.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#6284 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 06:54 AM

The Fort Street bicycle lane project will be officially open to the public at 11am on Sunday May 27, 2018.

The Fort Street Roll Out celebration will take place from 11am – 2pm on May 27th and will feature live music, family activities, interactive stations, safety ambassadors, photo station and free bicycle rentals.

The event will include activities on each block with a “passport” designed to encourage walking and cycling on the corridor. Customers, employees and visitors can visit stations to get a stamp and enter to win one of four new bicycles and other draw prizes thanks to partners at Fabulous Fort, the DVBA and PARC Retirement Residences.

Safety tips and project information will be displayed in on-street parking kiosks and road user education activities, including free cycling safety courses will be offered throughout June, July and August.

#6285 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 07:02 AM

^who is paying for these bike "rentals" and bike prizes?
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#6286 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 08:18 AM

Are the Fort bike lanes done, or just a portion? Apparently there is an opening this Sunday.

They are completed, just a bit of line painting. Problem is, they are still working below the sidewalk outside the Old 'n' Gold next to Dutch Bakery so pedestrians are directed to use the bike path. It could have opened a month ago if not for that construction. What's going on, are they sealing off those underground passages?

#6287 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 08:59 AM

They are completed, just a bit of line painting. Problem is, they are still working below the sidewalk outside the Old 'n' Gold next to Dutch Bakery so pedestrians are directed to use the bike path. It could have opened a month ago if not for that construction. What's going on, are they sealing off those underground passages?

Underground was a mess under there - apparently they found old oil tanks and a bunch of collapsing building bits, plus I heard this weekend from staffer at a business on Fort St that a portion needed to be redone.

#6288 LJ

LJ
  • 12,746 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 07:37 PM

The Fort Street Roll Out celebration will take place from 11am – 2pm on May 27th and will feature live music, family activities, interactive stations, safety ambassadors, photo station and free bicycle rentals.

Celebration eh? Others would have another word for it.

• Nparker, rjag and sdwright.vic like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#6289 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 07:52 PM

It took them 3 months to install a new Water main on Broughton from Blanshard to Douglas. So who knows....

#6290 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 05:56 AM

It appears that they are now considering using Vancouver instead of Cook Street.

City staff are recommending the city move to detailed design and tender both the Wharf and Humboldt stretches of the network. They are recommending council fast-track the cycling network project proposed for Vancouver Street.

A similar shared-road treatment is planned for much of Vancouver Street, which city staff are proposing as an alternative to Cook Street for a north/south leg of the network.

http://www.timescolo...hase-1.23310742

Boulevards...do we really need wide ones when cyclists and cars are in a competition for more space for lanes and parking?

Today between 9 and 11 am I gathered some photographs of Vancouver Street from Bay Street to Beacon Hill Park.

From what I saw this seems to already be a popular way to go for cyclists as the Vancouver was less travelled by cars than nearby Cook Street.

But I wonder if we need boulevards which were once a popular thing to have when the city originally laid out some of the streets but are now too costly to maintain, especially when that land can be put to better use.

Keep this in mind when you see some of the following photos of Vancouver Street.

Also notice that there is no parking on one side of some stretches of Vancouver, yet the boulevards there are very wide.

Looking north to Bay from Caledonia

IMG_2311.JPG

Looking south

IMG_2310.JPG

Johnson to Fort

IMG_2313.JPG

looking north Fort to Pandora

IMG_2316.JPG

looking south at Rockland

IMG_2322.JPG

looking north from Richardson

IMG_2330.JPG

no through road west on McClure...but not for the cyclist...BONUS

IMG_2333.JPG

Looking south - Southgate to Beacon Hill Park

IMG_2338.JPG

Edited by Bingo, 23 May 2018 - 12:09 PM.

#6291 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 05:58 AM

I feel that the crosswalk across Fort near the Dutch Bakery is going to be problematic. I use it often and as I always look in the direction that car traffic is coming from, I doubt if I'll be looking the other way for a bicycle. Others have said the same. Maybe pedestrians should have a button-operated crossing light to stop the bikes. :)

• rjag likes this

#6292 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 05:59 AM

So many ride their bikes on Vancouver already. Does money really need to be spent at all?

• A Girl is No one likes this

#6293 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 06:12 AM

At least 21 more parking stalls in the heart of downtown could be lost as Victoria builds the next phase of its protected all-ages-and-abilities cycling network.

City staff estimate 21 of 45 on-street stalls on Wharf Street between Pandora Avenue and the Government/Humboldt intersection (but primarily in the 1200 block) will have to be eliminated to make way for a two-way protected bike lane on the west side of Wharf.

http://www.timescolo...hase-1.23310742

#6294 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 06:26 AM

I feel that the crosswalk across Fort near the Dutch Bakery is going to be problematic. I use it often and as I always look in the direction that car traffic is coming from, I doubt if I'll be looking the other way for a bicycle. Others have said the same. Maybe pedestrians should have a button-operated crossing light to stop the bikes. :)

When I bike I try and watch for this (i.e., try and gauge who is probably going to attempt a no look cross) and stop accordingly.  Of course there are people on bikes who don't do this.  I agree it could be an issue.  It is a very high use pedestrian space.  If people on bikes are not hyperaware of pedestrians it will be a problem.

• Bingo likes this

#6295 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 06:30 AM

^and pedestrians will demand their own safe walking network. 🤔
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#6296 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 06:38 AM

Humboldt to be blocked off and become a cul-de-sac?

#6297 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 23 May 2018 - 06:41 AM

Humboldt to be blocked off and become a cul-de-sac?

Yup that's bull$hit. tails wagging the dog here

• Bingo likes this

#6298 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,775 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 07:31 AM

...If people on bikes are not hyperaware of pedestrians it will be a problem.

I have nearly been hit by cyclists several times at the mid-block crossing in the 800 block of Pandora.

#6299 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 07:52 AM

Myself along the 600-block of Pandora. Your brain wants to look left and only left when approaching from Centennial. I’ve seen tourists walk out towards to the crosswalk paying no attention to the bicycle lanes whatsoever.

There must be instances of collisions we don’t hear about.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6300 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 23 May 2018 - 07:59 AM

With something down Vancouver I might be able to safely bike to work one day.  If only there was a remotely safe or convenient place to lock/store a bike at my work.

• Bingo likes this
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users