Photo

[Bicycles] Bike lanes and cycling infrastructure in Victoria and the south Island

• Please log in to reply
11042 replies to this topic

#7481 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 08:44 AM

Oak Bay Police just issued a release asking residents to be on the look-out for thieves using bikes as their preferred mode of transport. A thief on a bicycle ransacked a home last night and they say thieves routinely ride bikes through the muni checking if car doors are open.

• rjag likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7482 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 09:09 AM

^This seems like more of a crime issue than a bike lane and cycling infrastructure issue.

• Brantastic likes this

#7483 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 09:16 AM

So we're saying it's very unlikely that a large TV or microwave oven would ever get stolen in Oak Bay?

#7484 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 06 February 2019 - 09:46 AM

Larger items require stolen F350s, (in)famous for not having anti-theft features.

#7485 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 06 February 2019 - 11:28 AM

Any business person would look at that bike program and run in the other direction....thats the problem with politicians and activists.....they have these great ideas and I salute them for the effort....but they fail to engage with business to understand how to run these programs without continual taxpayer subsidies. 

I, for one, am curious to hear the opinions of VV's resident cycling zealots apologists enthusiasts on the matter.

#7486 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 01:48 PM

New Bike Lanes For Thieves Proposed

Would Run Parallel to Existing Lanes

NICOLE CRESCENZININA GROSSMAN

Victoria News Feb. 6, 2019 11:28 a.m.

Victoria City Council will consider the idea of constructing a network of bicycle lanes exclusively for the benefit of thieves and criminals at a meeting of the Committee of the Whole this Thursday.

A City staff assistant speaking on behalf of the spokesperson of the executive assistant to the Chief of Staff of Mayor Lisa Helps explained that the rationale behind the lanes was that the thieves, which are to be referred to as "Law non-participating individuals", are committing thefts anyway, and their hasty and erratic bicycle getaways currently pose potential risks to other path users. 

The proposed paths would occupy one lane of an arterial street currently used by automobiles. The paths would be clearly marked and would lead from the Downtown core to areas of the city favoured by the material-goods underprivileged members of society.

The spokesperson insisted that users of the paths would be encouraged to alter their habits and not steal, and that durable metal racks filled with brochures explaining the benefits of leading a lawful lifestyle would be installed every 100 metres.

• Mike K., rjag, LJ and 6 others like this

#7487 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,040 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 01:51 PM

the brochures are not enough.  people with lived experience should be available to guide thieves through counselling etc.

#7488 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,752 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 01:58 PM

I realize Rob's post is meant to be humourous, but it seems exactly like the sort of thing the SJWs on council would implement.

Edited by Nparker, 06 February 2019 - 01:58 PM.

#7489 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 06 February 2019 - 02:42 PM

I find Rob's article to be rude and prejudicial in how it shorthands the rightful re-appropriation/liberation of the materialism of the bourgeoisie as "thefts."  That's lazy "New York Times" fake news if I've ever read any.

Edited by Bob Fugger, 06 February 2019 - 02:42 PM.

• Mike K., Rob Randall and Daveyboy like this

#7490 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 07:51 PM

A lot of cities are now banning the ubiquitous electric scooters that people are renting and leaving all over the sidewalks etc.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#7491 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 07:54 PM

In most European cities the rental bikes have to be returned to any rental bike rack otherwise you continue to get charged for it's use. This would solve the problem of them being left in inappropriate places for the most part I think.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#7492 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 07 February 2019 - 12:10 AM

In most European cities the rental bikes have to be returned to any rental bike rack otherwise you continue to get charged for it's use. This would solve the problem of them being left in inappropriate places for the most part I think.

U-bike is in Richmond now, and there are designated drop zones with racks. The GPS is accurate enough to know whether the bike has been returned to a drop zone or not.

#7493 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 01:30 AM

isn't the reason why helps liked them so much and was very pro ubikes was because you could just hop on and hop off leaving the bike wherever you were done with it.. and ofcourse when the program was launched people criticized it saying these bikes will be left randomly laying around in odd places, many quipped that they would get trashed and/or stolen (and ofcourse she ignored all that because reality didn't fit with her greater good plan).. sure enough that's exactly what has happened

• Nparker likes this

#7494 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 10:48 PM

So tomorrow is winter bike to work day.   If t does snow, is it safe to try to bike?

https://biketoworkvi...ke-to-work-day/

#7495 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,041 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 11:23 PM

We had one of those green ubikes locked to the bike stand outside my shop (on salt spring!) for a few weeks in December. No idea what happened to it.

Rented a Lime scooter in Venice beach though, one somewhat drunken night, and it was a blast. They really haul!

Matt.

#7496 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 08 February 2019 - 08:04 AM

So tomorrow is winter bike to work day.   If t does snow, is it safe to try to bike?

Like any other mode of transport, it depends on conditions and your gear.

I wouldn't take my road bike out in it, but I might take my gravel bike with some cyclocross tires on it, if I also had the right winter riding clothing, which I don't.  If I rode to work, which I don't.

#7497 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 February 2019 - 09:07 AM

Biked all week but took the bus today as I'd rather not deal with Victoria's citizens inability to drive in the snow. 

#7498 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 11:22 AM

I biked today.  No big deal.  Just bike slower so less snow goes in your eyeballs.

• Mike K. likes this

#7499 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,752 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 11:31 AM

I biked today.  No big deal...

It might be a different story this afternoon.

#7500 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 February 2019 - 12:00 PM

I biked today.  No big deal.  Just bike slower so less snow goes in your eyeballs.

Wasn't worried about the ride into work.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users