Photo

[Bicycles] Bike lanes and cycling infrastructure in Victoria and the south Island

• Please log in to reply
11043 replies to this topic

#7721 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 07:17 PM

Umm, because it's our main route to and from downtown, that's why. It's a street we use to get to our house; streets were built to accommodate cars. All those apartments have their garbage picked up by vehicles, not bikes. People who live on that street drive and park there.

That's nonsense.  If we simply implemented a garbage bag ban, there is limited garbage so there is no need for garbage trucks.    

Lisa Helps....I am available for a fee.  We should get this done.

#7722 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,356 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 02:31 PM

I'd put my garbage out loose then, lol.

We were in a business on Fort St. this morning. Talked to the lady and the conversation turned to bike lanes. She said business has definitely dropped since the bike lanes went in.  She works 8 hours a day, 5 to 7 days a week, looks right out at them, and said she can't believe how little they are used. She was not a fan at all. By the way, I ended up buying something and she gave me a lovely bag...free! I felt like I won the jackpot.

• Nparker, rjag, Love the rock and 2 others like this

#7723 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 04:53 PM

That's nonsense. If we simply implemented a garbage bag ban, there is limited garbage so there is no need for garbage trucks.

Lisa Helps....I am available for a fee. We should get this done.

Jesus I can't even tell what's a joke any more.

#7724 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 11:03 PM

Jesus I can't even tell what's a joke any more.

Are you calling me Jesus?  Ben won't like me anymore.

Anyways, let's get back on topic....bicycles taking garbage to Hartland.

• Nparker, Bob Fugger, Love the rock and 2 others like this

#7725 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 17 March 2019 - 12:44 PM

Surely you mean trucks taking bicycles to Hartland.

#7726 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 952 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 02:00 PM

Are you calling me Jesus?  Ben won't like me anymore.

Anyways, let's get back on topic....bicycles taking garbage to Hartland.

I seem to remember a very informative program on this matter as a child hmm.
I think it was called ...The Flintstones .

#7727 FogPub

FogPub
  • 984 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 17 March 2019 - 02:13 PM

Does anyone know anything about the bike lanes planned for Richmond Rd? I hadn't heard anything about them but they're in the Saanich Draft 2019 Financial Plan. It says "Richmond Street South Phase 2 950m Cycling" is within the 2019 budget, but I haven't heard anything about it. I assume they would start Lansdowne and go south from there?

That'd take some doing.  Richmond is already pretty narrow in some spots down toward RJH.

#7728 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 17 March 2019 - 06:13 PM

That'd take some doing.  Richmond is already pretty narrow in some spots down toward RJH.

In front of the school you could do more of the double-wide sidewalk/cyclepath combos from around the corner on Landsdowne.  For the rest of it it might be hard to do without eliminating the street parking which is never a popular move (I don't know if Saanich has the same "F U CARS" approach the CoV is accused of). 

There are bike lanes starting just before RJH, at Adanac to connect to.

#7729 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,813 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 01:17 PM

Umm, because it's our main route to and from downtown, that's why. It's a street we use to get to our house; streets were built to accommodate cars. All those apartments have their garbage picked up by vehicles, not bikes. People who live on that street drive and park there.

There almost no driveways off of Vancouver to a house between Fort and Caledonia

One or two for businesses and one for Anawim house.

This could easily be made to work. Cars can easily be diverted to Cook or Quadra and it would be great pedestrian and bike route. I would be against doing it for the whole length of Vancouver though.

Also easy to have one of those small vehicles come along to grab recycling or garbage if it could not be put along one of the side streets.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#7730 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,953 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 01:23 PM

There almost no driveways off of Vancouver to a house between Fort and Caledonia...

I reiterate my earlier post regarding both the 989 Johnson and 1008 Pandora projects, both of which will be reliant on maintaining vehicle access to Vancouver Street.

#7731 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 01:41 PM

I reiterate my earlier post regarding both the 989 Johnson and 1008 Pandora projects, both of which will be reliant on maintaining vehicle access to Vancouver Street.

Why is the belief Vancouver will be closed to vehicle traffic?  I think the map shows some closures to divert and reduce traffic but I don't believe the intent is for no vehicle access for local traffic.

#7732 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,813 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 01:45 PM

Easily fixed with a narrow driveway between 989 and Johnson. 1008 Pandora does not have a driveway on Vancouver it is on Mason.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#7733 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,432 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 01:50 PM

that’s true but the big trucks coming to supply save on at 1008 will enter mason off vancouver

#7734 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,432 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 01:51 PM

they could close vancouver at balmoral though.

#7735 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,953 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 01:52 PM

Easily fixed with a narrow driveway between 989 and Johnson.

You mean turn part of the existing Vancouver Street into a private driveway?

1008 Pandora does not have a driveway on Vancouver it is on Mason

True, but with the changes currently being made on Mason Street the traffic using the underground parking is going to have to access Mason from Vancouver. I may be mistaken, but the eastern portion of Mason is being narrowed and perhaps will be one-way (west-flowing) traffic.

Edited by Nparker, 21 March 2019 - 01:55 PM.

#7736 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,953 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 01:58 PM

Why is the belief Vancouver will be closed to vehicle traffic?  I think the map shows some closures to divert and reduce traffic but I don't believe the intent is for no vehicle access for local traffic.

It's not that I believe it is going to happen, it's just that some have suggested it would be a good idea, and I respectfully disagree.

#7737 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,432 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 04:08 AM

Lisa Helps is applauding a program from Nelson City Hall to get city staff on e-bikes and is suggesting Victoria could see something similar in the future. 

The program allows city employees to buy an electric bike through the city, and then pay it back through deductions in paycheques. 

i've got a better idea.  how about we pay the city employees a very generous union salary and they buy their own bikes?  they don't need a loan from momma lisa.  we have banks for that.

https://vancouverisl...bikes-1.4362722

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 03 April 2019 - 04:09 AM.

#7738 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 08:17 AM

they don't need a loan from momma lisa.  we have banks for that.

Getting a loan for a cargo bike is bloody hard. Unlike the car loan industry, there are no established rules, etc.

#7739 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,432 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 08:23 AM

your city/union permanent job is normally good enough for a huge line of credit. use it. or save up. FFS these are adults working for the city let’s let them govern their own lIves like others in the real world do.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 03 April 2019 - 08:23 AM.

• rjag, lanforod and Midnightly like this

#7740 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 10:30 AM

If you work a CoV job and need a loan to buy a bicycle you must have crippling money management problems and need some serious help. 

• rjag, lanforod, Midnightly and 1 other like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users