Photo

[Bicycles] Bike lanes and cycling infrastructure in Victoria and the south Island

• Please log in to reply
11042 replies to this topic

#7701 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 11 March 2019 - 01:51 PM

Stop attributing to malice...

• Greg likes this

#7702 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 03:05 PM

It's difficult to tell if it's malice or incompetence. I guess this wouldn't be such a divisive issue if some of the bike lane advocates would at least admit that some of the execution has not been great, and that people who criticize the deficiencies aren't necessarily bike lane haters.
  • Nparker, sdwright.vic and Cats4Hire like this

#7703 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 03:53 PM

Stop attributing to malice...

Agree 100% with above, but why should malice not be attributed? History shows there is malice towards many from this council.
  • Nparker, rjag, pennymurphy2000 and 1 other like this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#7704 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 06:34 AM

I thought it was buses being shoved down our collective throats as being the "solution" to transportation issues. They even have their own special lanes now! I'll bet the bus passengers are gleefully jeering* at the suffering drivers as they go sailing past.

And to add insult those buses can use the regular lanes any time they want. Lights changed to green? Oh wait, no that's the special queue jump light for the bus, because it is - and by extension all bus riders are - better than you​. And they just stop in the middle of the road and make everyone wait behind them. That's almost literally flipping everyone off.

That's what you are giving up your free Sunday parking for. Well, not giving exactly. It's being taken and you'll shut up because no one is going to listen to a Dirty Driver anyway.

Whew, I'm spent. It's fun though.

* I totally saw Cats4Hire jeering, I swear.

Look at you trying to compare apples to oranges!

Bus lanes were well discussed, well played in how they could be implemented, and covered a number of jurisdictions/ levels of government. They didn't just happen regardless of the feedback because a or a set of politicians had a cause that they championed no matter what.

Sorry, I don't think bus lanes were shoved down anyone's throat as they were originally envisioned as light rail, and then got scaled back to bus right of way.

To say a transportation project that is accessible to all, not only a few, is something shoved down people's throats is disingenuous. But yes, please have your fun and try to compare the bus lane process to the bike lane process as equal. Maybe, if they were equal you would see other municipalities getting on board to connect to this "system", and/or taking similar measures. But you don't, and you have leaders in Victoria wanting to bypass public input processes because their ego project won't be finished by the line in the sand they set.

Sorry, can't compare the two

#7705 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 06:43 AM

I'm like 98% sure Dustmagnet's post was a joke...

#7706 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 06:45 AM

^I am not.

#7707 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 06:54 AM

then he would know "all to themselves" is wrong since bikes are allowed in them and there was a news thing just after they opened of buses being stuck behind bikes in them. I certainly wasn't jeering at DustMagnet when I was 20 minutes late because we were stuck behind him.

#7708 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 07:49 AM

We were at the Dairy Queen on the corner of Foul Bay and Fort and when we pulled out to turn right onto Cadboro Bay Road, there were newly painted, bright green bike lanes. They seem so sensible compared to what's happening in Victoria.

• sdwright.vic likes this

#7709 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 12 March 2019 - 07:53 AM

We were at the Dairy Queen on the corner of Foul Bay and Fort and when we pulled out to turn right onto Cadboro Bay Road, there were newly painted, bright green bike lanes. They seem so sensible compared to what's happening in Victoria.

And funnily enough there appears to be an increase in the number of complaints from pedestrians & drivers around this stretch past OB High. Its causing mini gridlock especially westbound and quite a few close calls for all users. 

#7710 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 12 March 2019 - 08:06 AM

I'm like 98% sure Dustmagnet's post was a joke...

^I am not.

then he would know "all to themselves" is wrong since bikes are allowed in them and there was a news thing just after they opened of buses being stuck behind bikes in them. I certainly wasn't jeering at DustMagnet when I was 20 minutes late because we were stuck behind him.

Oh come on sd, Cats gets it.  It was a joke rant.  :lol:

Having said that, no bus has ever been stuck behind me in the Douglas bus/bike lanes as I have never ridden in them.  ;)  And don't forget, once you get to Tolmie the bikes are no longer welcome: https://www.goldstre...saanich-border/

#7711 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 07:49 PM

I kind of like the idea. Honestly you could actually be bolder and get rid of cars on Vancouver all together. Apart from the London Drugs plaza why is it needed?

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#7712 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 08:33 PM

...you could actually be bolder and get rid of cars on Vancouver all together. Apart from the London Drugs plaza why is it needed?

Aside from quite a number of existing residences and small businesses that rely on vehicle access to sections of Vancouver Street, I am pretty sure the future residents of 989 Johnson wouldn't be too happy about not being able to access their parking garage entrance/exit. Also wouldn't closing off Vancouver to vehicles mean that all traffic coming in and out of the new 1008 Pandora project have to use Mason Street in both directions causing some pretty significant congestion at Mason & Cook?

#7713 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 14 March 2019 - 09:35 PM

If it meant one less traffic light or stop sign on all the crossing streets I could almost get behind this.  But of course it won't...

#7714 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 March 2019 - 05:21 AM

As much as I avidly follow the bike lane discussion, upon reading your post my first thought was "WAIT ... there's a Dairy Queen at the corner of Fort and Foul Bay?"

#7715 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 05:26 AM

Yup next to the pet supply store. Not the best one though. I find they are skimpy on the blizzard mix. Hillside Avenue on the other hand...

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#7716 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 15 March 2019 - 09:50 AM

That has got to be the lowest-key DQ that I have ever seen.

https://www.google.c...9!4d-123.322413

• Matt R. likes this

#7717 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,041 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 12:01 PM

Remember when there was a McDonald’s on that corner too?

Matt.

#7718 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 12:19 PM

There have been a few fast food joints there over the years. Being around the corner from OB High helps. Don't even need a bike lane to get there quick!

#7719 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 02:11 PM

I kind of like the idea. Honestly you could actually be bolder and get rid of cars on Vancouver all together. Apart from the London Drugs plaza why is it needed?

Umm, because it's our main route to and from downtown, that's why. It's a street we use to get to our house; streets were built to accommodate cars. All those apartments have their garbage picked up by vehicles, not bikes. People who live on that street drive and park there.

• pennymurphy2000 likes this

#7720 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 03:29 PM

Does anyone know anything about the bike lanes planned for Richmond Rd? I hadn't heard anything about them but they're in the Saanich Draft 2019 Financial Plan. It says "Richmond Street South Phase 2 950m Cycling" is within the 2019 budget, but I haven't heard anything about it. I assume they would start Lansdowne and go south from there?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (1)