Photo

[Bicycles] Bike lanes and cycling infrastructure in Victoria and the south Island

• Please log in to reply
11042 replies to this topic

#8061 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 04 May 2019 - 08:03 AM

I suspect the business that provided this service on Broad Street stopped providing it as there was too little uptake.

No, they stopped because they changed ownership - Chain Chain Chain was sold and has since become Broad St Cycles (after yet another ownership change). There was plenty of uptake

#8062 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 04 May 2019 - 08:08 AM

I might be a bit fatter now but I’ve run a few marathons and I certainly never maintain 32kph on my commute to work on my hybrid.

I knew it!!!

#8063 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 May 2019 - 08:16 AM

I find it somewhat hard to believe that there is a ring of highly skilled well equipped bike thieves in town. are you sure there are not just expensive bike riders with terribly cheap locks?

Human nature dictates that when you're a crack head or a junkie that requires $250.00 - $500.00+ a day, every day ... and you don't have a job - you become incredibly proficient at whatever you have to do in order to make sure you've always got that money in your pocket.

There are crack heads hanging around Centennial Square and the assorted free living arrangements in town who have a full set of bike theft tools in their backpacks at all times, and with the exception of one or two unique locks, can walk away with any bike in less than a minute. They look for a bike they can steal with enough cachet that they know they can get rid of it for cash shortly after they've stolen it.

Get woke bro, we live in a town crawling with thieves, junkies, and violent offenders ... this ain't the Victoria you and I grew up in :)

• Wayne and Daveyboy like this

#8064 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,040 posts

Posted 04 May 2019 - 08:23 AM

surely there is some type of public fixed bike rack that allows you to add your own lock to it to make at least most of your bike unstealable.
a system that has massive thick steel bars that go through the frame opening and each wheel’s spokes.
i’m trying to think what I can compare this to.

Like a clamshell or a Venus flytrap?

Matt.

#8065 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,031 posts

Posted 04 May 2019 - 08:27 AM

no bike has ever been stolen from a bikeep.

https://youtu.be/hk1M6WaUXKo

• Matt R. likes this

#8066 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 May 2019 - 08:43 AM

no bike has ever been stolen from a bikeep.

These are certainly magnitudes better than anything we've got in Victoria, but still far from perfect.

You would have to strip all accessories off your bike every time you locked it up, lights, tool bags, water bottles, pumps, seat, etc ... and you still have to secure both your wheels with your own locks (be they cable or otherwise).

The individual bicycle locker is still the solution of choice, but requires thinking far more advanced than the current parties in charge appear capable of.

Parties who have now spent $14 million in order to provide exponentially more potential targets for our multitude of resident (and highly skilled) bike thieves.

(Ahhhh Victoria politicians and bureaucrats! ... always thinking they're two steps ahead, while in reality being 5 steps behind.)

Edited by Cassidy, 04 May 2019 - 08:44 AM.

#8067 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 04 May 2019 - 01:54 PM

If you want a fast ebike you need to either build it yourself or buy from Luna cycle online (you pay an extra $250 USD for 'Ludicrous' controller programming "for off road use only"). Luna is making some really amazing ebikes- true pioneers.

A lot of the DIY guys are downright scary- using old laptop and cordless drill batteries, etc. There are stories on some forums of guys burning down their houses while charging batteries, and even batteries exploding while riding.... technically i guess these doofuses are true pioneers too...

There are other options similar to the first you mentioned.

#8068 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 04 May 2019 - 05:50 PM

What is the top of the line in electric assisted bikes?

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#8069 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 04 May 2019 - 06:56 PM

Have you seen how big secure bike storage lockers are? Maybe two per space is more realistic. Parking structures are packed now as it is...

Well these are 33" wide and hold one or two bikes, that doesn't seem huge to me.

https://cyclesafe.co...opark-standard/

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#8070 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 04 May 2019 - 10:41 PM

Investing millions into secure bicycle parking infrastructure also sends the wrong message, that if you don’t use a secure bike facility you might not see your $2,000 bike ever again.

I don't know if you've checked the bag recently, but the cat is about three towns over by now.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#8071 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 05 May 2019 - 06:48 AM

No, they stopped because they changed ownership - Chain Chain Chain was sold and has since become Broad St Cycles (after yet another ownership change). There was plenty of uptake

I should have said, at the price the new owners planned to charge for the service.

Very few business purchasers will forego a supposedly lucrative source of income.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8072 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 May 2019 - 07:01 AM

I should have said, at the price the new owners planned to charge for the service.
Very few business purchasers will forego a supposedly lucrative source of income.

Didn't we discuss this in this thread earlier?

That Chain, Chain, Chain weren't really expensive, and that they were successful ... but that the new owners (apparently) simply didn't want to babysit bikes as part of their business model, presumably wanting to focus their efforts strictly on running a retail bike and accessory business?

I seem to recall our conversation ended with the participants generally agreeing that getting rid of secure bike storage seemed not to make business sense from a money perspective, so must have been made as part of a change in their overall business model?

#8073 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 05 May 2019 - 07:04 AM

Which would be totally backwards. The income from the service just wasn’t worthwhile.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8074 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 05 May 2019 - 07:05 AM

And for all we know, the storage might have even been free under the previous owners.

Corey, was that the case?

Know it all.

#8075 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 May 2019 - 07:11 AM

Which would be totally backwards. The income from the service just wasn’t worthwhile.

I agree ... it didn't make much sense the last time we talked about it either, and it continues to not make much sense ... unless it truly was a money loser, and that part of the business was generally unsuccessful from a financial point of view.

#8076 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 05 May 2019 - 08:07 PM

And for all we know, the storage might have even been free under the previous owners.

Corey, was that the case?

It wasn't free. $10/day sticks in my mind, but it's been more than a decade since Chain3 closed, so I honestly cannot say if that is accurate

• Mike K. likes this

#8077 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 May 2019 - 05:30 AM

$10.00 per day likely explain why it closed.

Places like the Bay Centre cage lock-up/shower (probably the most "secure" in the centre of town) go for $30.00 per month, so the Chain, Chain, Chain lock up would have cost somebody 10 times more, around $300.00 per month.

$300.00 per month is more expensive than parking a car in all but the very centre of downtown.

#8078 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 06:32 AM

I found Chain Chain Chain's website on Wayback, but I can't access the content as they ran the site using Flash.

Can anyone glean any info? We might solve this mystery yet! https://web.archive....chainchain.net/

Know it all.

#8079 nerka

nerka
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 02:31 PM

I find it somewhat hard to believe that there is a ring of highly skilled well equipped bike thieves in town. are you sure there are not just expensive bike riders with terribly cheap locks?

There are tons of bikes locked downtown with the most pathetic cable locks. Blows me away. Recent example:  parked downtown to watch the Avengers movie (3+ hours) bike rack outside was full.  My bike and two others had respectable U-locks, six others had cable locks. Two of the cable locks were a complete joke.

Virtually any cable lock can be quickly cut with a reasonable beefy set of bolt cutters and some of the particularly wimpy cable locks can be cut with regular pliers. You can cut a crappy U-lock with bolt cutters but it is hard work. Once you get into the high quality U-locks the only tool that is going to do the job (to my knowledge) is a grinder . Throw two U-locks on your bike like I did and you have made your bike a lot less attractive to thieves.

#8080 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 02:50 PM

Eh...if at the end of the day, someone wants to steal you're bike, they'll find a way no matter what type of lock. And chances are no one will try to stop them. Case in point this great Casey Neistat video.

https://www.youtube....h?v=UGttmR2DTY8

• Midnightly likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users