Photo

[Bicycles] Bike lanes and cycling infrastructure in Victoria and the south Island

• Please log in to reply
8397 replies to this topic

#8101 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 4,020 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 03:33 PM

oh 10 finalists:

https://www.infrastr...m-comp-eng.html

#8102 Nparker

Nparker
  • 23,067 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 03:39 PM

Winner to be announced on May 14, 2019; so we'll know soon if U-Bike is going to put out of its misery or not.

#8103 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 48,664 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 03:42 PM

Can someone explain who/what is funding u-bike, and who actually owns the entity that operates locally?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8104 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 2,204 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 08 May 2019 - 03:56 PM

In my opinion, U-bike is being kept minimally alive solely due to the smart cities challenge. If Victoria wins, the City will receive $10M and I am told that a good chunk of that has been committed to U-bike to build out their service to include electric bikes, scooters, and even ride-sharing. I think if any in the program actually took a look at the sorry state of what we have in Victoria then they would run away with their money but that isn't usually how it works when politicians are throwing bucks around.

The City of Victoria doesn't have an entry. The South Island Prosperity Partnership is leading the bid. CoV is a member of the Partnership, along with a bunch of other municipalities, FNs, schools, etc.

#8105 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 48,664 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 04:03 PM

So why does the Mayor of Victoria need to fly to Ottawa to attend the funding announcement in-person? Shouldn’t a delegate from the SIPP be sufficient?
  • Love the rock and pennymurphy2000 like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8106 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 685 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 04:45 PM

So why does the Mayor of Victoria need to fly to Ottawa to attend the funding announcement in-person? Shouldn’t a delegate from the SIPP be sufficient?

because the mayor likes doing the fun stuff and putting her face out there for photo ops.. the delegate gets to do the boring practical stuff like attending school PAC meetings or meeting with citizens

• GaryRanson likes this

#8107 lanforod

lanforod
  • 7,101 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 08 May 2019 - 09:49 PM

I like to see people on bikes, and I'm a fan of bike paths. We've seen it in this discussion before. Some motorists hate bikes, and some cyclists hate cars. So here's my experience just this afternoon.

I'm driving south on Cook Street, approaching Hillside. Sometimes a car is turning left onto Hillside, and so you have to go into the right lane to proceed straight. Also sometimes you are just approaching Hillside and the light turns red. I will often go into the right lane, so I can turn right onto Hillside. I can be down to Quadra by the time the light turns green on Cook to continue south.

So I notice that in the right lane is a cyclist who is riding smack in the middle of the lane. Okay. The light turns at Hillside and she is at the front of the right lane. She stops in the middle of the lane. I want to make a right turn. I have a small car and there was still just enough room to get around her. She starts to yell at me, "I'm a car!" In other words, she feels she has the right to take up the entire lane, even at the intersection. What is wrong with a modicum of cooperation? At the intersection, she could pull over a bit to the right to allow others to turn. It's that attitude which I find so annoying. Hope about "I'm a person!" "I can do things out of common courtesy!"

I did this today on my bike at Quadra and Chaterton, even had a car behind me signaling a right turn.
I get what you're saying about attitude but for me it's safer to stop in the middle of the lane than risk getting squeezed by someone making a right turn. My safety trumps your 30 seconds.
  • Coreyburger, tedward, Greg and 2 others like this

#8108 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 2,204 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 15 May 2019 - 02:20 PM

The Canadian Institute of Planners has announced that UVic and Urban Systems have received an Award for Planning Excellence Merit for the "University of Victoria Campus Cycling Plan." via https://www.cip-icu....Recipients.aspx

#8109 lanforod

lanforod
  • 7,101 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 15 May 2019 - 02:43 PM

The Canadian Institute of Planners has announced that UVic and Urban Systems have received an Award for Planning Excellence Merit for the "University of Victoria Campus Cycling Plan." via https://www.cip-icu....Recipients.aspx

I think it's kind of silly to award something for planning when the plan hasn't yet been implemented. How do you know its a good plan until its been implemented?

• Daveyboy likes this

#8110 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,194 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 15 May 2019 - 05:25 PM

It's an award for Planning Excellence, not Plan Excellence.

#8111 Matt R.

Matt R.
  • 2,138 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 06:27 PM

Will property taxes go up 22.5% to cover this?

Matt.

#8112 Nparker

Nparker
  • 23,067 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 06:38 PM

Will property taxes go up 22.5% to cover this?...

Mine did.

#8113 Matt R.

Matt R.
  • 2,138 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 07:28 PM

Oh really? I hadn’t heard.

Matt.
  • aastra likes this

#8114 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 2,204 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 17 May 2019 - 07:41 AM

In other cycling awards news, Vélo Canada Bikes has recognized Saanich's "Moving Saanich Forward" plan and Victoria's Fort Street Bike Lanes as two of the top ten cycling projects in 2018. Lisa Helps was recognized with the National Advocacy Award.

The Canadian National Bike Summit was held in Ottawa, so it dovetailed with her Smart Cities trip.

#8115 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,194 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 22 May 2019 - 11:04 AM

Cyclists and drivers take to the streets Wednesday morning in first official Bike to Work Week celebration

https://www.vicnews....ek-celebration/

Waiting for the results...

#8116 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 02:46 PM

Bikes won handily - 23 teams. 18 bikes won, 1 tie

#8117 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 48,664 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 02:51 PM

Two CFAX staff were nearly hit by cyclists this morning who blew through crosswalks while they were crossing downtown streets. One of the cyclists apologized for the close call, while the other mocked the pedestrian.

Stirling, who was one of them talked about the experience at-length today and he said the response from the cyclist (who mocked him after he vocalized his surprise and frustration to the cyclist).

Know it all.

#8118 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 18,213 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 May 2019 - 03:24 PM

Well, it's anti-bike CFAX so it must be made up, right? :)

• Nparker likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#8119 nerka

nerka
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 11:03 PM

Two CFAX staff were nearly hit by cyclists this morning who blew through crosswalks while they were crossing downtown streets. One of the cyclists apologized for the close call, while the other mocked the pedestrian.

That's people for you.

Some drivers that have nearly taken me out have given me apologetic waves, others literally the middle finger.

#8120 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 05:14 AM

That's people for you.

Some drivers that have nearly taken me out have given me apologetic waves, others literally the middle finger.

Some fine people... on both sides... both sides.

All vehicle demographics do their part to contribute to unpleasantness on our roads.
  • Linear Thinker likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

8 user(s) are reading this topic

3 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users

Jackerbie, rmpeers, Hotel Mike