Photo

[Bicycles] Bike lanes and cycling infrastructure in Victoria and the south Island

• Please log in to reply
11042 replies to this topic

#8761 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 30 September 2019 - 08:31 PM

I think the solution is obvious.  Make a significant financial toll for being allowed to voice NIMBYs concern at rezoning CoV meetings.  Everyone must live 1 km from their workplace.....enforced.   

I just fixed the climate crisis for Mayor Helps.

I know.....brilliant.

• rjag and newbie_01 like this

#8762 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 02 October 2019 - 01:42 PM

In Granada Spain the main boulevard is 3 lanes of traffic one way, a center sidewalk about 30 feet wide and 3 lanes of traffic the other way. No bike lanes at all.

Bikes use any of the 6 lanes of traffic and the sidewalk. Electric scooters use any of the three lanes of traffic both ways. Didn't see anyone die but lots of lane changing by all parties happening.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#8763 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 02 October 2019 - 02:12 PM

Rest of the World: "I'm just gonna squeeze in front, thanks" "OK, no problemo"

Victoria: "You came close to my ten-foot bubble, now I will chase you for 10 km until I can beat your head in with a golf club".

• David Bratzer likes this

#8764 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,301 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 05:34 AM

Spend any time discussing green cities, and it’s inevitable that someone will eventually bring up Amsterdam. Here’s a medical doctor in the Times Colonist advocating a bike lane on Dallas Road to allow Victoria to mimic Amsterdam’s “more healthy culture and population.” Here’s Canada’s Victoria-based “bicycle mayor,” Susan Stokhof, on how Victoria should treat Amsterdam as the “role model” in retrofitting itself for bike friendliness. And here’s Catherine Holt, CEO of the Victoria Chamber of Commerce, telling Douglas Magazine that Victoria could become a “great cycling city” like “Copenhagen and Amsterdam.” 

The subtext of all these arguments is that if we could just build bike lanes as enthusiastically as the Dutch, then we too could live in a bike nirvana. But until North America’s cities can magically mimic Amsterdam’s density, housing and geography, we may be wasting our time by blindly treating it as the unquestioned zenith of green city design. 

https://capnews.ca/g...rdam-bike-lane/

Why Amsterdam Might Be a Horrible Model for Building a Carbon-Free City

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 07 October 2019 - 05:34 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#8765 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 06:41 AM

1955. Victorians have long thought of Amsterdam as some sort of cycling nirvana:

amsterdam.JPG

#8766 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 07 October 2019 - 04:03 PM

'I'm sure that the City of Victoria has their reasons': Premier skeptical of bike lanes

https://vancouverisl...lanes-1.4626654

Asked how his own commute has been in recent years, Horgan said it's gotten noticeably slower.

"I'm finding I'm spending a lot more time between Bay Street and Menzies, just trying to get through town," the premier said in his sit-down interview with CTV Vancouver Island's Andrew Johnson on Friday.

Horgan mused that the protected bike lanes that opened on Fort and Pandora streets last year, as well as the other protected lanes that have followed, might be contributing to the congestion.

"I ride my bike a lot and I'm on the trail a lot, so I understand the importance of infrastructure for cycling," Horgan said. "I'm not against that at all, but I do think that sometimes you've got to look at what the consequences are of that infrastructure on other activities. But, you know, I'm sure that the City of Victoria has their reasons and I'm going to leave it at that."

Some people call them consequences, others called them results.  Isn't there some sort of consensus here that impeding private motor vehicle traffic is the reason that the CoV does any infrastructure work?  Discrimination as a result of affirmative action isn't a side effect - it's a purposeful application to find an equitable balance.  

Mr. Horgan should try the buses that he advocates for over reviving the E&N.  He's part of the problem!

/s, probably.

#8767 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 04:29 PM

Mr. Horgan should try the buses that he advocates for over reviving the E&N.  He's part of the problem!

He tried once and was 2 hours late because the bus got stuck behind a bike and it couldn't merge to the other lane 

#8768 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 06:26 PM

'I'm sure that the City of Victoria has their reasons': Premier skeptical of bike lanes

https://vancouverisl...lanes-1.4626654

Some people call them consequences, others called them results.  Isn't there some sort of consensus here that impeding private motor vehicle traffic is the reason that the CoV does any infrastructure work?  Discrimination as a result of affirmative action isn't a side effect - it's a purposeful application to find an equitable balance.  

/s, probably.

Provincial government workers sick of commuting to downtown Victoria will soon have another option. 

Horgan confirmed that the long-talked-about plan to bring government offices to the West Shore will soon become a reality, with a pilot project set to begin next spring.

Results!! 

#8769 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,164 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 06:49 PM

It makes sense for Westshore residents to work closer to where they live, especially if the City of Victoria is growing increasingly concerned about the environmental impact of transportation into the city.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8770 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 07:03 PM

It makes sense for Westshore residents to work closer to where they live, especially if the City of Victoria is growing increasingly concerned about the environmental impact of transportation into the city.

I am not sure of the details, but can we have 2 provincial offices or will some be on the Westshore and others downtown?  If some go to the Westshore, that would help with the commute and greenhouses gasses, but for those that bought residence downtown expecting to bike 8 blocks to work, it's going to be a shock.  

#8771 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,164 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 07:17 PM

Horgan is estimating there could be new buildings on the Westshore if the pilot project proves successful.

There are no details as to what and where just yet. But I imagine the satellite will be in Langford.

And by satellite it sounds like this space won’t replace downtown offices, just supplant them. But in time we very well could see some level of jobs being literally moved to the Westshore. A subset of a provincial office did already move to View Royal and that has some folks reverse commuting.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8772 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 08:44 PM

It would more likely not be a specific Ministry. It will be an open concept office where you connect with your coworkers remotely. There is already an office like this in Central Saanich.
  • Nparker likes this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#8773 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,164 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 09:03 PM

Not at first, for sure. But there could be individual subsets or departments moved out of the downtown as we recently saw with Community Living BC moving to Eagle Creek.

Know it all.

#8774 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,394 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 09:34 PM

I think G-Man's idea is more the direction the public service is heading.

• GaryRanson likes this

#8775 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 07:25 PM

John Horgan has confirmed that his personal commute has slowed and he is not a fan of the bike lanes.
  • Mike K. likes this

#8776 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 09 October 2019 - 10:44 AM

What's his VV username then?

#8777 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 12:04 PM

John Horgan has confirmed that his personal commute has slowed and he is not a fan of the bike lanes.

A bit rich from a Premier who has complained about mayors not "staying in their lane" to swerve out of his and attack a signature policy of the mayor of his capital city.

Edited by Coreyburger, 09 October 2019 - 12:36 PM.

#8778 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 12:25 PM

A bit rich from a Premier who has complained about mayor's not "staying in their lane" to swerve out of his and attack a signature policy of the mayor of his capital city.

A modest, thoughtful comment is an "attack"?
  • Cats4Hire likes this

#8779 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 01:06 PM

A bit rich from a Premier who has complained about mayors not "staying in their lane" to swerve out of his and attack a signature policy of the mayor of his capital city.

So if instead Horgan had said "the bike lanes are the greatest things ever implemented in the history of the province!" you would also be telling him off for not staying in his lane?

• FogPub likes this

#8780 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,164 posts

Posted 27 October 2019 - 08:39 AM

Ubicycle’s app now shows eight bikes in the downtown core. That can’t be good, can it?
  • rmpeers likes this

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)