Photo

[Bicycles] Bike lanes and cycling infrastructure in Victoria and the south Island

• Please log in to reply
11042 replies to this topic

#8781 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 27 October 2019 - 10:01 AM

Ubicycle’s app now shows eight bikes in the downtown core. That can’t be good, can it?

It's pretty good for the people who have acquired free bikes.

• Daveyboy and rmpeers like this

#8782 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 27 October 2019 - 11:40 AM

Ubicycle’s app now shows eight bikes in the downtown core. That can’t be good, can it?

So that mayoral China junket really paid off. Another legacy achievement.
  • Nparker, Love the rock and A Girl is No one like this

#8783 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 27 October 2019 - 04:49 PM

They're starting to repave the Goose.

https://www.timescol...ving-1.23987694

Sections of the Galloping Goose Regional Trail will be closed near the McKenzie interchange project from Monday until the end of November for paving and widening.

#8784 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,346 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 02:44 PM

On theft deterrents

https://business.fin...-save-your-bike

Stop (bicycle) thief! Inside an ex-Microsoft wunderkind's Canadian crusade to save your bike

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 08 November 2019 - 02:46 PM.

#8785 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 05:40 PM

From the above article:
“ We need less congestion. We need less obesity. We need better mental health. We need more moments to slow down. We need sparks of joy from our childhood.”

In short, Allard’s view is that we need more bikes on city streets, especially bikes that don’t get stolen.”

This is awesome!!!
Much better approach than our divisive dear leader.

#8786 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,346 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 06:13 PM

here is the app:

https://project529.com/garage

you can go to oak bay bikes or trek on catherine here to register and get the badge.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 08 November 2019 - 06:15 PM.

#8787 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 07:02 AM

here is the app:

https://project529.com/garage

you can go to oak bay bikes or trek on catherine here to register and get the badge.

Hmm. Except Google Maps places Trek in the Burnside/Harriet region. I guess they should have used Microsoft Bing maps...

trek.JPG

#8788 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 02 December 2019 - 03:46 PM

CoV is in the midst of consultation for the next phase of the cycling network improvements. Government Street between Pandora and Gorge is the notable road section this time around, with smaller neighbourhood routes on Kimta, Richardson, and Kings.

Capture.PNG

Consultation materials, meeting dates, and feedback options are all online: https://engage.victo...k-improvements/

#8789 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 03:57 PM

CoV is in the midst of consultation for the next phase of the cycling network improvements....

Yeah "consultation".  <_<

• rjag and rmpeers like this

#8790 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 04:01 PM

Right. Government is going down to one lane in each direction.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8791 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 04:04 PM

...Government is going down to one lane in each direction.

Only if that's what the consultation suggests - right?  :whyme:

#8792 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 02 December 2019 - 05:48 PM

Yup, that sucks, its one of the few remaining 2 lane roads. But thats obviously part of the agenda, remove multi lane arterials and pretend congestion wont increase while pushing traffic to smaller roads not designed for more traffic. 

But I guess the CoV and the happy clappy bikey coalition want to make it safer for movement of stolen bikes to Rock Bay

• Nparker and A Girl is No one like this

#8793 kirk

kirk
  • 38 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 12:14 AM

A growing percentage of cars are electric, and thus zero or near-zero emission.

That's where the infrastructure investment ought to be going, into charging stations and hook-ups everywhere for these vehicles so as to encourage uptake.

Half of emissions of a vehicle are from creating the vehicle (before it even hits the road)  -so zero-emission is still not a thing.    

I agree investments in charging stations would be good - but improvements for walking & biking helps all people (not just those who can afford cars or electric cars) 

#8794 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 03 December 2019 - 01:32 AM

Half of emissions of a vehicle are from creating the vehicle (before it even hits the road)  -so zero-emission is still not a thing.    

I agree investments in charging stations would be good - but improvements for walking & biking helps all people (not just those who can afford cars or electric cars) 

Improvements for walking and biking only help those who wish to walk and-or bike - usually.  I say usually because some of the so-called improvements (e.g. the separated bike lanes) actually serve to make biking slower and less efficient than it was, albeit perhaps safer.

#8795 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 05 December 2019 - 08:03 AM

Drove JSB from Esq late last night and along Wharf to Simcoe. What a mess Wharf is. I finally had a chance to really look at it with zero traffic around and I would say it ranks up there with the 5 circles of Hell at the airport.

Have to add the section of Government by the Leg is in terrible condition. The City has taken their eye off the ball here which is consistent with the craziness of the likes of Isitt and the whole crew. 

• Nparker, Hotel Mike and davidN like this

#8796 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 08:12 AM

...The City has taken their eye off the ball here which is consistent with the craziness of the likes of Isitt and the whole crew. 

This is what happens when you have governance driven by ideology rather than logic and sensibility.

• Hotel Mike likes this

#8797 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 05 December 2019 - 08:22 AM

Nope, it is going to what amounts to 1 and 1/2 lanes in each direction between Pandora and Gorge. This is not actually a big change as in my experience of that stretch of the road, there is one lane for travel. I avoid the left lane which is usually blocked at several points by people turning left. 

Net effect on traffic: minimal

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#8798 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 09:09 AM

Ok, sure, 1.5 lanes. It still means traffic is flowing in a single line and you can't pass another vehicle.

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8799 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 09:16 AM

I don't mind the reduction of Government to one lane each way plus a turn lane. Between Herald and Bay, that stretch is never really busy enough to warrant two lanes to begin with, so I agree with minimal traffic impact.

Besides, gets ya a bit closer to the action come parade time!

#8800 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 09:17 AM

In isolation it's ok, but I suspect the concern is the City will try to restrict the flow of Douglas to a single lane in each direction as well, which I believe was the idea on the table when LRT was making its rounds.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users