Photo

[Bicycles] Bike lanes and cycling infrastructure in Victoria and the south Island

• Please log in to reply
11042 replies to this topic

#8801 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 09:23 AM

Also very concerned about Richardson. Can't I at least have a period of grieving about them (inevitably) making a mess of Vancouver before they start talking about mucking up Richardson?
  • rjag likes this

#8802 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 10:02 AM

We've lived on Richardson for forty years and this will be just terrible. We have been making a lot of visits to the hospital and medical appts. lately and go right up Richardson to Richmond. We also go to Thriftys that way and in the other direction to downtown. They want to reduce traffic from 4000 cars a day to under 1000? Where will they all go? It seems like they will be blocking intersections and there is simply no room for bike lanes on both sides of the road, esp. between Moss St. and Cook. Utter madness. Tons of cyclists already use Richardson and I have never seen a problem. Motorists are quite good about giving them lots of space when passing.

#8803 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 05 December 2019 - 10:14 AM

We've lived on Richardson for forty years and this will be just terrible. We have been making a lot of visits to the hospital and medical appts. lately and go right up Richardson to Richmond. We also go to Thriftys that way and in the other direction to downtown. They want to reduce traffic from 4000 cars a day to under 1000? Where will they all go? It seems like they will be blocking intersections and there is simply no room for bike lanes on both sides of the road, esp. between Moss St. and Cook. Utter madness. Tons of cyclists already use Richardson and I have never seen a problem. Motorists are quite good about giving them lots of space when passing.

Where do you get the 1000 vehicles figure from? The Richardson design document states 3,500-4,000 vehicles currently, and the overview document indicates the preferred "advisory bike lanes" design is suitable for 3,000 vehicles. Separated bike lanes are not proposed, drivers and cyclists share the same space.

#8804 Dr. Barillas

Dr. Barillas
  • 174 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 10:24 AM

They're going to put a bike lane on Kimta?  That road is dead, all day every day. 

"Never go to a doctor whose office plants have died"

#8805 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,689 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 10:36 AM

Where do you get the 1000 vehicles figure from? 

I think that was the daily figure being touted for Vancouver Street post-bike lanes.

#8806 laconic

laconic
  • 741 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 10:46 AM

They're going to put a bike lane on Kimta?  That road is dead, all day every day. 

There are quite a few bikers that take it first thing in the morning into town rather than taking Esquimalt road.

At one time the plan was to continue the E+N rail trail lanes through the Roundhouse area and next to the tracks by the soon-to-be seniors center. I'm not sure if the plan has changed or if there is an admission that using Kimta is almost a convenient as trying to go that route.

• Dr. Barillas likes this

#8807 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 05 December 2019 - 11:00 AM

There are quite a few bikers that take it first thing in the morning into town rather than taking Esquimalt road.

At one time the plan was to continue the E+N rail trail lanes through the Roundhouse area and next to the tracks by the soon-to-be seniors center. I'm not sure if the plan has changed or if there is an admission that using Kimta is almost a convenient as trying to go that route.

E&N is still the long term plan, but it hinges on the timing of the Roundhouse development. The bike lane on Kimta is temporary, looks like paint and bollards according to the draft design document.

#8808 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 05 December 2019 - 11:06 AM

Where do you get the 1000 vehicles figure from? The Richardson design document states 3,500-4,000 vehicles currently, and the overview document indicates the preferred "advisory bike lanes" design is suitable for 3,000 vehicles. Separated bike lanes are not proposed, drivers and cyclists share the same space.

So why make any changes? I can see a bit of tweaking but Richarson is fine the way it is...straight, fairly wide, good sightlines, very minimal MVI's and already posted at 40...this is wasteful use of taxpayers money

• Nparker, Redd42, johnk and 2 others like this

#8809 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 05 December 2019 - 11:19 AM

^ Most of the changes appear to be unrelated to the cycling infrastructure: painted crosswalks and pedestrian signals, speed bumps, a new mid-block pedestrian crossing, new sidewalk in one section... As someone unfamiliar with the area, I don't have any opinion on whether the intersection traffic restrictions are appropriate or not.

• rjag likes this

#8810 Danma

Danma
  • 889 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 06:04 PM

It's more scenic, it's quiet, you bypass the little hill and you can boot it onto the bridge easily into downtown. It's quiet enough that I've ridden with my kids on that road, even without a bike lane

• rjag, Daveyboy, Dr. Barillas and 1 other like this

#8811 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 December 2019 - 09:13 PM

Some cycling advocate was quoted in today's TC as saying cutting traffic to 3000 a day isn't good enough and that it needs to be reduced to 1000, or something like that.

• mbjj likes this

#8812 kenmuir

kenmuir
  • 84 posts

Posted 08 December 2019 - 09:10 AM

E&N is still the long term plan, but it hinges on the timing of the Roundhouse development. The bike lane on Kimta is temporary, looks like paint and bollards according to the draft design document.

I thought the paint and bollards was the permanent design plan because of the expense of the Pandora curbs and the problem of standard curb height being too high for pedal clearance.

#8813 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 08:29 AM

So that mayoral China junket really paid off. Another legacy achievement.

I am downtown several times a week and haven't seen a green bikes in months. IMHO, the only reason why we continue this charade is to save face for the Mayor and SIPP. 

Speaking of SIPP, remember the folks from Daitan who were supposed to create 100 jobs in Victoria after SIPP recruited them to the Island? Looking to me like they have hired a grand total of 0 Victoria residents. 

https://www.timescol...oria-1.23485943.

• Nparker, pennymurphy2000 and rmpeers like this

#8814 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 08:43 AM

I am downtown several times a week and haven't seen a green bikes in months. IMHO, the only reason why we continue this charade is to save face for the Mayor and SIPP.

Speaking of SIPP, remember the folks from Daitan who were supposed to create 100 jobs in Victoria after SIPP recruited them to the Island? Looking to me like they have hired a grand total of 0 Victoria residents.

Promise made, promise k... well, the promise did get made. Isn't that enough?

#8815 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 09:07 AM

You mean this amazing deal our expert business Mayor negotiated?

https://www.cbc.ca/n...toria-1.4292987

https://www.saanichn...hieves-vandals/

#8816 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 09:37 AM

I think we all suspected this would be the case. The press release-based media coverage was enough of an indicator.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8817 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 09:43 AM

Regarding ubike, users report the bikes are rarely in safe functioning order and their availability has dwindled. Customer service is also chat based now in lieu of a phone number you could call.

These programs need to be properly managed like Citibike in NYC where you have docking stations.
  • rmpeers likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8818 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 09:46 AM

Regarding ubike, users report the bikes are rarely in safe functioning order and their availability has dwindled. Customer service is also chat based now in lieu of a phone number you could call.

These programs need to be properly managed like Citibike in NYC where you have docking stations.

Theres a number of dockless bikes now located at UVic...in the last 2-3 months I think I've seen 2 moved. There was 1 in our neighbourhood for over a month before the homeowner whose house it was parked in front moved it to the bus stop on Henderson where it sat for 2 weeks

#8819 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,689 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 12:17 PM

priority.PNG

https://www.cheknews.ca/

#8820 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 10 December 2019 - 03:10 PM

i think she's given up on the green U-bikes.. if asked she'll refuse to admit it was a horrible failure and ofcourse tout the positives of it.. last i heard she's now trying to get ebikes and e-scooters around town (and ofcourse pushing for the government to change the laws on e-scooters.. not that silly things like laws have stopped her in the past)

• Nparker likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users